All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CWD

And to be completely honest, AC blight may even prove to be an easier problem for mankind to intervene and fix. With a cross breeding species already having resistance available,

This would effectively make AC extinct. It's niche would just be filled by a replacement, such as the hybrid they created.

Last edited:
If the deer populations crash or are diseased enough that hunters aren't interested in them is there another animal we could introduce as a big game species to fill the gap? I'm thinking wild goats, sheep, pigs, etc.

I know pigs get a bad rap in most areas, but if the deer are gone there will be a lot of hunting landowners looking for a plan b. I don't think pigs could take over the northern us like they do in the south because of a more limited breeding period.

Maybe European bison? Elk? An Asian deer species?

Pigs are a bad idea. They are destructive and could threaten plant and bird species.

Maybe European bison? Elk? An Asian deer species?

Pigs are a bad idea. They are destructive and could threaten plant and bird species.

I believe that cwd is a factor for all deer species, elk included.

It was first identified (not created) by WRF in Fort Collins CO in early 1967. It was shortly classified as a TSE. In 1979 it was found at Sybille wildlife research facility in Wyoming in Black-tailed, mule deer, and elk. The first case found in the wild was in 1981 back in Colorado in elk.

So you are absolutely correct.

Further, all chestnuts (genus Castenea) can pollinate each other. They are wind pollinated so distance is the only thing that keeps these species sexually isolated. When you get down to the "species" level, there is sort of a scientific judgment call made and things are occasionally reclassified. A number of factors are used in the call, but when they can species can interbred things get fuzzy. Nature is much more fluid. We invented the classification system to begin to understand it.

Finally, the term “prions” refers to abnormal, pathogenic agents that are transmissible and are able to induce abnormal folding of specific normal cellular proteins called prion proteins that are found most abundantly in the brain. The functions of these normal prion proteins are still not completely understood. (Ref CDC). Until there is a more in depth understanding we don't know how deer or other organisms will respond over time.

Thanks,

Jack

I have heard from what I consider a reliable source that Nebraska has tested 800 deer for resistance factors.

I approached some people about testing 100 or so hunter killed deer from central Minnesota for these resistance factors. If I could get agreement to do so, I was going to look at finding funding.

The Minnesota DNR does not approve of the testing and it will not be done at this point.

Evidently they were also approached about this testing a number of years ago and it was denied.

Scrapie in sheep is a very similar disease and some feel CWD evolved from scrapie. Test and cull has worked well to virtually eliminate scrapie in our domestic sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real question is, what value would resistance testing of hunter killed deer accomplish.

My view... 1. We would find if resistance is present in our wild deer.
2. We would get an estimate of resistance percentages. 3. If one population of deer had higher per cents of resistance in the state, different management strategies might be needed once CWD reaches there.

An area with higher amounts of natural resistance might warrant less of a kill all deer strategy and more of a let nature take it’s course strategy, with monitoring of the genetics.

However, at this point, Minnesota does not want to do this.

The resistance factors is a complicated issue with many degrees of resistance.

The domestic deer industry is working on it and evidently one state has decided to monitor it.

Perhaps someone from Nebraska could verify this.

Where else do we start with what we currently know?

As far as I know, you are right. However, the spread of CWD among whitetails seems to be facilitated by their behavior. Elk have very different behavior. I think this makes CWD easier to control in elk populations, but I have no studies to back this up.

The real question is, what value would resistance testing of hunter killed deer accomplish.

My view... 1. We would find if resistance is present in our wild deer.
2. We would get an estimate of resistance percentages. 3. If one population of deer had higher per cents of resistance in the state, different management strategies might be needed once CWD reaches there.

An area with higher amounts of natural resistance might warrant less of a kill all deer strategy and more of a let nature take it’s course strategy, with monitoring of the genetics.

However, at this point, Minnesota does not want to do this.

The resistance factors is a complicated issue with many degrees of resistance.

The domestic deer industry is working on it and evidently one state has decided to monitor it.

Perhaps someone from Nebraska could verify this.

Where else do we start with what we currently know?

This certainly seems reasonable to me and worth investigating.

And for those that don't know, Art is a veterinarian so he has a better understanding of those things than some of us more recreational wildlife guys.

Idk about CWD and hope I never see it here. I know EHD a little over a year ago absolutely decimated the area. In the refuge less then a mile from where I live they found hundreds of dead deer. This year I counted 5 deer total all year out in those same fields and areas where I would see more then 5 in a morning commute.

Maybe they could genetically modify some deer to become resistant.

Idk about CWD and hope I never see it here. I know EHD a little over a year ago absolutely decimated the area. In the refuge less then a mile from where I live they found hundreds of dead deer. This year I counted 5 deer total all year out in those same fields and areas where I would see more then 5 in a morning commute.

Some resistance all ready exists. I hear some wild populations have more than others.

One former forum member is testing and culling his domestic deer herd based on resistance testing. He can even test freshly shed antlers.

Here comes GOVT to save the day (house file 305 and 229).

https://kstp.com/news/lawmakers-see...-fatal-deer-disease-chronic-wasting-/5224422/

MN DNR LOVES CWD!!! Just think of all the money and power that gets to change hands. And hey MR dipshit Lou C, the reason hunter participation is dropping is not because of CWD, its because of YOU and the shitty hunting in this state.

I just came across this, figured you'd enjoy to hear it.

I finally got around to watching that video. It is extremely biased, almost to the point of being useless. The entire seminar is heavily biased in favor of Texas deer farming with an emphasis on trophy hunting. Their attitude that CWD isn't a big deal pertains specifically to its effect on deer breeders and farmers. A few of them go so far as to cherry pick data to support their stance on CWD.

One guy apparently didn't expect the author of the study he references to be in the audience and gets called out for it. The researcher basically said' "that's my study, and you seemed to have misunderstood, because our conclusion is that CWD does in fact cause a drop in whitetail populations." To which the speaker replied "Oh, I was talking about mule deer." Why was he cherry picking data on mule deer in Wyoming, in a study that confirmed CWD does have a negative impact on whitetail populations, to suggest to whitetail farmers in Texas, that CWD does not affect whitetail populations? Because he's being dishonest. If he had said "Oh I guess I misunderstood", I would have chalked it up to an honest mistake. However, when challenged, he confirms that he has deliberately referenced only the specific data on mule deer in the study.

Another speaker says he outright dismisses scientific studies that test possibility of infection if amplification is used in the methodology. This is either irresponsible, or extremely biased toward the deer farming industry.

In another instance, a speaker laments that policy makers "hate deer farmers" and want to "shut down a billion dollar industry." He gives no support for these statements. He just makes unsubstantiated accusations. The idea that elected officials are a homogeneous group that want to shut down a lucrative business is a bit counterintuitive and therefor requires at least some evidence if it is to be taken seriously. It's an "argumentum ad martyrdom" fallacy that has no place is any reasonable or scientific discussion.

They go further, to state that CWD can't be transmitted to humans. This is not only erroneous, it is downright irresponsible. There is no strong evidence yet to show that humans have been infected with CWD, but several studies show it is likely humans can be infected with the prion that causes CWD. The fact that cautionary measures have so far been effective is not an indication that humans need not worry about consuming muscle tissue from infected animals. Based on what we know about CWD and other similar diseases, it is likely humans can be infected an develop symptoms similar to CJD. The only way to confirm it can be transmitted to people is to find an infected person, but this is exactly what we are trying to prevent!

It is unfortunate that the speakers at this seminar were so biased, but this video seems more like pro-deer-farming propaganda than a reasonable scientific discussion.

I finally got around to watching that video. It is extremely biased, almost to the point of being useless. The entire seminar is heavily biased in favor of Texas deer farming with an emphasis on trophy hunting. Their attitude that CWD isn't a big deal pertains specifically to its effect on deer breeders and farmers. A few of them go so far as to cherry pick data to support their stance on CWD.

One guy apparently didn't expect the author of the study he references to be in the audience and gets called out for it. The researcher basically said' "that's my study, and you seemed to have misunderstood, because our conclusion is that CWD does in fact cause a drop in whitetail populations." To which the speaker replied "Oh, I was talking about mule deer." Why was he cherry picking data on mule deer in Wyoming, in a study that confirmed CWD does have a negative impact on whitetail populations, to suggest to whitetail farmers in Texas, that CWD does not affect whitetail populations? Because he's being dishonest. If he had said "Oh I guess I misunderstood", I would have chalked it up to an honest mistake. However, when challenged, he confirms that he has deliberately referenced only the specific data on mule deer in the study.

Another speaker says he outright dismisses scientific studies that test possibility of infection if amplification is used in the methodology. This is either irresponsible, or extremely biased toward the deer farming industry.

In another instance, a speaker laments that policy makers "hate deer farmers" and want to "shut down a billion dollar industry." He gives no support for these statements. He just makes unsubstantiated accusations. The idea that elected officials are a homogeneous group that want to shut down a lucrative business is a bit counterintuitive and therefor requires at least some evidence if it is to be taken seriously. It's an "argumentum ad martyrdom" fallacy that has no place is any reasonable or scientific discussion.

They go further, to state that CWD can't be transmitted to humans. This is not only erroneous, it is downright irresponsible. There is no strong evidence yet to show that humans have been infected with CWD, but several studies show it is likely humans can be infected with the prion that causes CWD. The fact that cautionary measures have so far been effective is not an indication that humans need not worry about consuming muscle tissue from infected animals. Based on what we know about CWD and other similar diseases, it is likely humans can be infected an develop symptoms similar to CJD. The only way to confirm it can be transmitted to people is to find an infected person, but this is exactly what we are trying to prevent!

It is unfortunate that the speakers at this seminar were so biased, but this video seems more like pro-deer-farming propaganda than a reasonable scientific discussion.

I agree - they should have had a panel of folks from Wyoming also give their views. They also said that something like only 200 counties out of the 3000 in the US have been found to have deer with CWD. That may be - but in almost all areas with CWD, there is a buffer area of counties with specific CWD caused regulations - like increased bag limits or reduction of antler restrictions. CWD may not be there - yet - but it is already adversely affecting those counties. Fortunately, CWD is a very slow acting disease. I feel for those hunters in areas with high infection rates - fifty years from now.

I agree - they should have had a panel of folks from Wyoming also give their views. They also said that something like only 200 counties out of the 3000 in the US have been found to have deer with CWD. That may be - but in almost all areas with CWD, there is a buffer area of counties with specific CWD caused regulations - like increased bag limits or reduction of antler restrictions. CWD may not be there - yet - but it is already adversely affecting those counties. Fortunately, CWD is a very slow acting disease. I feel for those hunters in areas with high infection rates - fifty years from now.

CWD is everywhere. They just haven't tested for it in areas or tested such a small population that they didn't find it. Nobody will ever be able to stop this disease with a gun or bow. What is said after 49:05 to me tells the story. Especially at 49:45.

Yeah it's pretty dumb. My county has been a cwd county for several years now. Counties that border us to the west and southwest do not have check-in stations or mandatory testing. They are not cwd counties. Any wonder we get new cases each year and they do not?

Last edited:
As far as I know, you are right. However, the spread of CWD among whitetails seems to be facilitated by their behavior. Elk have very different behavior. I think this makes CWD easier to control in elk populations, but I have no studies to back this up.

CWD has hit elk just as hard as deer. There are areas out west, NM unit 34 comes to mind, with very high CWD percentage. They were doing mandatory testing in that area at one point, not sure if they still do or not.

CWD has hit elk just as hard as deer. There are areas out west, NM unit 34 comes to mind, with very high CWD percentage. They were doing mandatory testing in that area at one point, not sure if they still do or not.

That doesn't contradict anything in what you quoted from me.

I didn't say elk are inherently less likely to contract CWD than whitetails. I said I think CWD is easier to control among elk populations, and I stand by that.

You mentioned mandatory reporting, for example. That's a lot easier to do with elk than with whitetails, for the simple fact there are far fewer elk harvested than whitetails.

I wish they would just do mandatory testing nation wide. I would put money on CWD being present in every single county that has whitetail deer across the country. They the "State game experts" could finally say "maybe this disease has been around a lot longer than we think and it isn't as big of a problem as we made it out to be."

The money spent to do it would easily build the wall on the southern border. At least we wouldn't have to worry about spreading it to Mexico.