CWD Testing

Dipper

Yearling... With promise
The wi dnr has asked me to participate in a pilot cwd testing program. Essentially, the DNR has put a kit together. The hunter extracts the lymph nodes and submits the sample to the DNR.
I've had deer tested when ive donated them at the butcher shop. If they can figure it out I'm sure your semi intelligent Hunter will get it.
Not sure on the cost, but this is definitely something we want to do in our household.
Pending how the pilot program goes, we might see full implementation in 2018. Just passing it on because I know some are also concerned with consuming cwd positive meat.

I've watched the IL DNR extract samples from our deer. If you can field dress deer you should be able to pull a sample in just a few minutes with the right instructions. Were you randomly selected for this program?

This is a good topic. Keep us updated. CWD is a concern for me even though it hasn't been found in my area yet. I recently read an article that stated monkeys contracted CWD when fed infected meat. So while it hasn't been linked to humans yet a simple test like this could be great.

I've watched the IL DNR extract samples from our deer. If you can field dress deer you should be able to pull a sample in just a few minutes with the right instructions. Were you randomly selected for this program?
I don't know, maybe they watch us more than we think. Haha They did know where I hunted and wanted more samples from the area.
I know when you donate a deer it's tested. When that was done the butcher had to document the exact location of the kill. Say it was the SWSW corner of section 20, in whatever township. The butcher didn't have a clue what that meant but anyone who's studied a play book, knows what that's about.
That's how the DNR is able to put out the cwd map, it has. I'm sure people would struggle with that, but if you're serious about consuming cwd meat, you could learn.
Or I was selected because I average 15 deer kills a year, because they were interested in that too.

Are you in DMAP?

What county are you in if you don't mind sharing that information? CWD in WI used to be in the southwest corner of the state, but according to the DNR it has spread to some south central counties.

What county are you in if you don't mind sharing that information? CWD in WI used to be in the southwest corner of the state, but according to the DNR it has spread to some south central counties.

It's actually has shown up in the wild deer herd in portage county a couple years ago. One deer tested positive. I know a couple deer tested positive in marathon county but that has always been on a game farm.

In cwd areas in Pa they tell us to bone out your deer and not cut into the spine or brain. It definitely would be nice to know if the deer you are eating has it or not.

That's good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wi dnr has asked me to participate in a pilot cwd testing program. Essentially, the DNR has put a kit together. The hunter extracts the lymph nodes and submits the sample to the DNR.
I've had deer tested when ive donated them at the butcher shop. If they can figure it out I'm sure your semi intelligent Hunter will get it.
Not sure on the cost, but this is definitely something we want to do in our household.
Pending how the pilot program goes, we might see full implementation in 2018. Just passing it on because I know some are also concerned with consuming cwd positive meat.
What's different about that and the program last year ? I went to the DNR station for a kit send in the nodes and get the answer back.

What's different about that and the program last year ? I went to the DNR station for a kit send in the nodes and get the answer back.
Not sure, but it sounds similar. I didn't know we could get deer tested, beyond a taxidermist or DNR staff. Did they charge you?