Cuddeback's Cuddelink

the option is either another camera or the SD home unit used in repeater mode. In testing other antennas did not enhance the connection distance at all so we dont advise changing that .
Does anyone have any experience with these home units used in repeater? Do they have similar range, and most importantly battery consumption?

John, Maybe this has been asked before. Has there been any thought to adding a battery level number that would be displayed on the status report? It would be really helpful for some of us, that don't use a cell camera or in my case can't because of signal. When I am at camp I don't know if the batteries are a day away from going low. Seems like when it goes to low on the status report it is only a couple days before it is dead. Hoping this is better now with the solar, but it would be handy to have a number there where you could at least get a gauge of it even if it isn't 100% accurate.

For example I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries. If while at camp I notice the one camera is getting down then I would go switch them out.

Does anyone have any experience with these home units used in repeater? Do they have similar range, and most importantly battery consumption?
the have the same range, battery life would depend on how many other cams are linking thru it , but the fact that they arent taking pictures would help quite a bit. Keep in mind you can use a camera and turn the camera function off and set it asa repeater , they cost more than the sd home but it would be more versatile.

John, Maybe this has been asked before. Has there been any thought to adding a battery level number that would be displayed on the status report? It would be really helpful for some of us, that don't use a cell camera or in my case can't because of signal. When I am at camp I don't know if the batteries are a day away from going low. Seems like when it goes to low on the status report it is only a couple days before it is dead. Hoping this is better now with the solar, but it would be handy to have a number there where you could at least get a gauge of it even if it isn't 100% accurate.

For example I have an extra set of rechargeable batteries. If while at camp I notice the one camera is getting down then I would go switch them out.
as of yet there isnt a way to do this reliably. remember the batteries are in sequence its not the same as having one battery that can be checked individually.

How do you view your pictures and status reports while at camp? Cell phone? Computer?

How do you view your pictures and status reports while at camp? Cell phone? Computer?
I have an sd card reader for my phone. Used to have the home camera on a tree so it would take pics to. Now I moved it to the porch so I don’t have to put on shoes to check it. Lol. When at camp I will check a couple times a day because it is so easy.

as of yet there isnt a way to do this reliably. remember the batteries are in sequence its not the same as having one battery that can be checked individually.
Thanks. Would be great if there was or if the low indicator gave you more time. Or if there was another level between ok and low.

I have an sd card reader for my phone. Used to have the home camera on a tree so it would take pics to. Now I moved it to the porch so I don’t have to put on shoes to check it. Lol. When at camp I will check a couple times a day because it is so easy.
There's an app for Android phones called File Viewer (I think it also works on iPhones) that is good for viewing photos and allows for very easy access to the exif data. As you're scrolling through pics on the SD card all you have to do is push the "i" (info) button to get the exif data associated with the picture. Even the status report from each remote camera has exif data associated with it, although the data in the status files is abbreviated over the normal picture of a critter. If you request the info while viewing a status report the User Comments field will contain the data that was gathered from the remote to generate the report. The first notation within that field is BP=??%... where '??' will be 99%, 90%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or 10% (edited to add more levels). I think that if the number is 50% or more the report will read OK and flop to LOW at 25%... something like that. Now inside the exif data on each regular picture file you can find the BL number which is the voltage of the batteries in mV. That number is more refined than just the bracketed percentage number but it's probably overkill for what you want. So the bottom line is this. Since your request is that Cuddeback show more levels than just 'OK' or 'LOW' this is a way to only have to hit the info button while you're viewing the remote cam's status report and you can get your wish. The irony of the situation is that they collect the more precise data from the remote cameras, record it in the exif data and then dumb it down to just two levels of 'OK' and 'LOW' for the status report. Heck, some folks live far enough from their land that they can't drive there before 'LOW' turns to dead.

Last edited:
Not only do I have a run away cam going on for the last two days. Now my home unit keeps sending me the same images over and over. Hopefully resetting the home unit later today will fix the problem. It ate through my batteries pretty quick though. I plan to swap out the runway and get it replaced. This system is nice when it works flawlessly a big frustration when it doesn’t though.

I've had a blast with Cuddelink cameras so far. First of all, I'm a fan, so when I offer critiques or comments, it's because I view life through a balanced eyepiece. There is no perfect trail cam. As my daddy always said, if a man made it, it can fail you.

That being said, there is absolutely no one in the industry doing for the trail cam what Cuddeback is doing with the link system. I've heard people say it's "cheating" to use a "check one and check them all" camera. These are the same guys that say using a crossbow is cheating, while they pull out a bow with 80-90 percent letoff, sights and arrows that look like they came from outer space, and a mechanical release that is ready to fling an arrow over 350 feet per second. I mean, after all, they're just doing it like the Native American's used to do it, right? :)

I digress. These cameras are great, and here is what I have learned so far, having ran them for a full year.

AA batteries (Lithium or otherwise) are simply a bad idea for these cameras. Cuddelink realized that and responded. However, people who are angry that a camera system relaying pictures wirelessly 24/7 across a computer network can't run for months at a time on 8 double A batteries either do not understand the amount of energy it takes to accomplish this task, or they simply want more than the physical world around them is currently capable of producing.

The addition of solar panels and D-packs was a game changer. Honestly, it probably saved the long-term viability of this system. There's no way anyone could or should have to walk into their most prized deer hunting ground half way through the season to change batteries. It's the exact reason why we only want to check one home camera to begin with.

I bought 5 solar panels and started running them in January. It was an odd time to buy them, but it took me that long to realize that even Energizer Lithium's were not going to be able to hold up to what this system requires (both financially not wise and still didn't last over 2.5 or 3 months).

The solar panels started out great. Unfortunately, as leaf foliage began to accumulate, the solar panels simply died, and they will die QUICKLY if you stick them into the woods. Someone told me that Cuddelink had stated these panels only need "ambient" light to recharge the batteries. This was absolutely not true in my experience. You need full sun exposure for no less than 6-8 hours, if you want those batteries to stay charged. Excessive cloudy weather (think short days in the fall and cold fronts) will also drain them significantly, though they will build back up when the sun comes out.

So they ran from January to early April flawlessly, then basically started dying one by one, depending on where they were relative to cover.

No worries, I need some of my cameras on field edges anyway, so I'm ok with that.

I have now purchased 6 of the D packs that also allow the AAs to be a backup. This was a good move and should honestly fix all my issues concerning constant battery replacement, but time will tell.

I am really hopeful for the dual power banks, as I would use one of those for my soon to arrive cell cam coupled with a solar panel (I think that combo is possible), which I am sure will be a battery hog.

One camera died, and Cuddeback repaired it, no questions (not sure why it stopped to begin with).

The biggest improvement I would like to see from Cuddeback is more communication about when products are going to be released and just a more helpful online presence in general. As awesome as this site is (way better than the Facebook sight imo), we shouldn't have to come here to get the best information about this camera. Trail camera contests are neat, and expos are cool to promote, but how about marketing it in such a way that people do not have to dig around for hours trying to find more information about (what I believe) is the hottest new product on the trail cam market?

Customer service, however, is extremely friendly and helpful. And the 1 or 2 times I have reached out, responses have been prompt and effective.

My apologies for rambling. I just thought I would offer a little feedback on my experience and perspective so far that might help someone on the fence about these cameras.

Last edited:
Not only do I have a run away cam going on for the last two days. Now my home unit keeps sending me the same images over and over. Hopefully resetting the home unit later today will fix the problem. It ate through my batteries pretty quick though. I plan to swap out the runway and get it replaced. This system is nice when it works flawlessly a big frustration when it doesn’t though.
On other forums, other brand of cameras are doing same thing. Anything that you can possibly relate it to? Has it rained? Low battery? Firmware updated? Is it solar powered?

Fresh batteries and it’s over a disked plot. I don’t believe anything is triggering it. As far as the cell home goes. It’s been acting weird trying to handle the runaway I think. I have had it send duplicates before but not quite like this or that amount of it.

I currently have my cell unit sent to send pics back twice a day. I figured this would maximize battery life. Anyone actually experimented with how frequently sending pics via cell affects battery life of the cell unit? I'm at 93 days still on the external 3358.

I currently have my cell unit sent to send pics back twice a day. I figured this would maximize battery life. Anyone actually experimented with how frequently sending pics via cell affects battery life of the cell unit? I'm at 93 days still on the external 3358.
The more often pics are sent the more battery that will be used though I can’t say how much for each time. Also, the more pics that are sent as well as temperatures below 32 also shorten battery life. To maximize battery life you can set it to batch 30. Before season, that’s plenty enough for me. Early and late season, every 12 hours, rut, every 6 hours.

The more often pics are sent the more battery that will be used though I can’t say how much for each time. Also, the more pics that are sent as well as temperatures below 32 also shorten battery life. To maximize battery life you can set it to batch 30. Before season, that’s plenty enough for me. Early and late season, every 12 hours, rut, every 6 hours.

Thanks. I'll stick with every 12 hours then. I'm too curious to wait longer than that. Batch 30 is a no-go, with 7 cameras I average 1 pic or less per camera per day, batch 30 could easily be 4-6 days between sends if they don't automatically go once a day. Never had more than 9 in a day.

Fresh batteries and it’s over a disked plot. I don’t believe anything is triggering it. As far as the cell home goes. It’s been acting weird trying to handle the runaway I think. I have had it send duplicates before but not quite like this or that amount of it.
I have had to send back 3 cameras for the same problem. All with external packs all during the middle of season. Hundreds upon hundreds of pics per day until it killed the batteries. No rhyme or reason as to why it occurred.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll stick with every 12 hours then. I'm too curious to wait longer than that. Batch 30 is a no-go, with 7 cameras I average 1 pic or less per camera per day, batch 30 could easily be 4-6 days between sends if they don't automatically go once a day. Never had more than 9 in a day.
I'm almost positive any pics in queue will send with the daily report even if its below the batch amount. So you would still get pics everyday.

I'm almost positive any pics in queue will send with the daily report even if its below the batch amount. So you would still get pics everyday.
Correct. With it set a batch 30, you’ll get pics when/if it hits 30 and when the daily report is sent so at least once a day.

There's an app for Android phones called File Viewer (I think it also works on iPhones) that is good for viewing photos and allows for very easy access to the exif data. As you're scrolling through pics on the SD card all you have to do is push the "i" (info) button to get the exif data associated with the picture. Even the status report from each remote camera has exif data associated with it, although the data in the status files is abbreviated over the normal picture of a critter. If you request the info while viewing a status report the User Comments field will contain the data that was gathered from the remote to generate the report. The first notation within that field is BP=??%... where '??' will be 99%, 90%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or 10% (edited to add more levels). I think that if the number is 50% or more the report will read OK and flop to LOW at 25%... something like that. Now inside the exif data on each regular picture file you can find the BL number which is the voltage of the batteries in mV. That number is more refined than just the bracketed percentage number but it's probably overkill for what you want. So the bottom line is this. Since your request is that Cuddeback show more levels than just 'OK' or 'LOW' this is a way to only have to hit the info button while you're viewing the remote cam's status report and you can get your wish. The irony of the situation is that they collect the more precise data from the remote cameras, record it in the exif data and then dumb it down to just two levels of 'OK' and 'LOW' for the status report. Heck, some folks live far enough from their land that they can't drive there before 'LOW' turns to dead.

Thanks Fred, I would also like to reiterate the usefulness of exif data. But IMO, the “%, Ok, Low, Good, Bad” are useless to me. I reference BL.
How do you get pics sent every 12hrs?

How do you get pics sent every 12hrs?

I've been 95 days since I did the settings so honestly I forget the exact selection to do that. I get the morning report and any pics at ~4:05AM, and then pics again at 6PM. Sorry.