Cuddeback / Cuddelink 900 mhz Extended Antenna for improving camera-to-camera range?

djmccoy77

Yearling... With promise
I've seen some threads discussing aftermarket antennas for improving cell coverage, but nothing on anything to improve the 900 mhz camera to camera connections. Cell coverage isn't an issue, but our farm is bifurcated into two tracts that are about 1/4 mile apart corner to corner. Heavily wooded timber stands, and I have had to obtain a neighbors permission to put a camera on the property as a "repeater." This works for now, but I'd rather not have to set it up this way. I'm about 300yds shy of getting cameras to connect across the two tracts.

Any success with extended range antenna for the 900 mhz Cuddelink network?

Anyone know what the exact frequencies are that the network operates on?

Doubt you're going to find an antenna to increase range. If it did exist cuddeback would use it. But I've had some success in increasing the RF levels by adding a pigtail. Doesn't always work but in most cases it does. I'll post some pics a bit later. It's very easy to do.

I would think a yagi or other directional antenna would increase range, but that would include another set of problems such as only being able to communicate with cams within the line of fire. I doubt you are going to find a better omni directional antenna.

I'd bet a significant amount that Cuddelink is using the 915 Mhz (US) LoRa band. That is about the only authorized frequency that could do the distances they are getting with the power available. I've worked with this band on some other electronic projects, and many of the 3-5 dBi antenna for those projects look exactly like the omnidirectional CuddeLink Antenna.

If you already know the following, I apologize, but....
Omnidirectional antenna can have their dBi boosted by essentially "squishing" the radiated signal. Think of a low gain antenna as putting a signal the shape of a fat doughnut in all directions. The higher the gain of an omnidirectional the more the signal gets flattened, like a wider/flatter doughnut. The higher the gain, the wider and flatter it gets. Too flat, and the tilt of the antenna can really impact performance.
omni-antenna-pattern-600x509.png.webp

high-gain-omni-pattern.png.webp

Directional antenna do the same thing, only with the signal aimed in a particular direction.
Antenna-Gain-Decibel.png

Anyway, I apologize if that was unnecessary, but thought it might help. I see two omnidirectional 915 Mhz antenna on amazon that might be of help. Kind of expensive, the but they come with a cable and adapter that should allow you to put the antenna higher in a tree for even better range.
Amazon.com
Amazon.com

Then there are several directional antenna, but you would have to buy your own cable and adapter. Here is one example.
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
Amazon.com

Hope this is helpful. But be warned, if I'm wrong about the frequency (don't think I am) these antenna could reduce your range, and even burn up the transmitter in the camera.

best way to improve the range on Cuddelinks
1. Dont mount it on a tree- mount it on a post mount or metal fence post. Large trees actually decrease signal when the camera is mounted to them, (obviously especially when its on the back side in relation to the home or another link.)
2. mount it up high - one of my coworkers covers 3 farms in Missouri over a 2 mile radius with one home by mounting his home unit on top of a grain bin.

we have tried many antenna options with no noticeable gain in range, not saying one doesnt exist..... but we havent found one that was reasonable or worked better than the stock model

Reactions: 356
Thought this might be helpful. I have evaluated each of the following antennas in a side by side test on my cuddelink system:

1.Amazon
2. Amazon
3. Amazon
4. Amazon

All different price points here ranging from $5/per antenna to $30. Clear winner was #4--the $5/per option, which increased the "Link Level" by a factor of 8 over the next best option which was #2 at $28.

With my experience of animals eating wires, I would fear having my antenna wire get eaten and burn up the tx. I would look for some type of armor for the cable.
It just so happens I have half a dozen of those antennas, but I have also been able to connect a camera to my network from over 4 miles away using the OEM antenna, line of sight.

With my experience of animals eating wires, I would fear having my antenna wire get eaten and burn up the tx. I would look for some type of armor for the cable.
It just so happens I have half a dozen of those antennas, but I have also been able to connect a camera to my network from over 4 miles away using the OEM antenna, line of sight.
You are correct. This is what I have found works best for the animal eating issue issue:

Amazon

We have our network on a timber farm with dense forest. We are lucky to get 400yds range between cameras.

Thought this might be helpful. I have evaluated each of the following antennas in a side by side test on my cuddelink system:

1.Amazon
2. Amazon
3. Amazon
4. Amazon

All different price points here ranging from $5/per antenna to $30. Clear winner was #4--the $5/per option, which increased the "Link Level" by a factor of 8 over the next best option which was #2 at $28.
Because of the antenna itself or because of the additional height?

I'd bet a significant amount that Cuddelink is using the 915 Mhz (US) LoRa band. That is about the only authorized frequency that could do the distances they are getting with the power available. I've worked with this band on some other electronic projects, and many of the 3-5 dBi antenna for those projects look exactly like the omnidirectional CuddeLink Antenna.

If you already know the following, I apologize, but....
Omnidirectional antenna can have their dBi boosted by essentially "squishing" the radiated signal. Think of a low gain antenna as putting a signal the shape of a fat doughnut in all directions. The higher the gain of an omnidirectional the more the signal gets flattened, like a wider/flatter doughnut. The higher the gain, the wider and flatter it gets. Too flat, and the tilt of the antenna can really impact performance.
omni-antenna-pattern-600x509.png.webp

high-gain-omni-pattern.png.webp

Directional antenna do the same thing, only with the signal aimed in a particular direction.
Antenna-Gain-Decibel.png

Anyway, I apologize if that was unnecessary, but thought it might help. I see two omnidirectional 915 Mhz antenna on amazon that might be of help. Kind of expensive, the but they come with a cable and adapter that should allow you to put the antenna higher in a tree for even better range.
Amazon.com
Amazon.com

Then there are several directional antenna, but you would have to buy your own cable and adapter. Here is one example.
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
Amazon.com

Hope this is helpful. But be warned, if I'm wrong about the frequency (don't think I am) these antenna could reduce your range, and even burn up the transmitter in the camera.
Good explanation. I googled the FCC license imprinted on a J a couple years back, and your guess on frequency is in right range. Can't remember exactly, but it was something like 915-918 and LoRa rings a bell.