Creating new Limbs

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Reading through Ed's incredibly informative post of pruning I was reminded that you can score a limb above a bud and create a new branch. I need to do this on several dwarf trees I'm growing on a trellis and was wondering that time of the year to try it? Anybody know?

I still really don't understand this....if there was a bud, wouldn't it automatically form a limb?

Maya??

I tried something like this last spring, but did not have luck.

I just read a university study on it the other night and they reccomended 2-4 weeks before full bloom. Maya may well have more info..

I just read a university study on it the other night and they reccomended 2-4 weeks before full bloom. Maya may well have more info..
Yup, I'm out the orchards a ton in April and always seems like when I have the best luck. Right from 1/4" green on. Also in late fall can work.

Maya I dont think I have ever seen this included in articles when reading about notching. I have wondered about it. Would there be an issue with notching opposite buds that are fairly close together. Which in a sense makes almost makes a complete girdle around the tree. Would it be best to makes sure you leave a couple of inches between notched opposite buds? Does that make sense what I am asking?

Thanks for the answer Maya. I'm going to give it a try this spring and see what happens.

Yup, I'm out the orchards a ton in April and always seems like when I have the best luck. Right from 1/4" green on. Also in late fall can work.

Whoa, let me rephrase that.............from 1/4" green (green tip) and before bloom.

Last edited:
George-can you explain what 1/4 inch green means?

Maya I posed a question up above. Do you have any insight? Thanks.

Maya I dont think I have ever seen this included in articles when reading about notching. I have wondered about it. Would there be an issue with notching opposite buds that are fairly close together. Which in a sense makes almost makes a complete girdle around the tree. Would it be best to makes sure you leave a couple of inches between notched opposite buds? Does that make sense what I am asking?
I think I get what you are saying. Yes, if possible you want to stagger branches some. If you are setting a tier they should be staggered a bit. More for strength than anything. You will not girdle the tree and kill it though from a knife or thin saw blade.

In my opinion though, in most cases you don't need to worry about trying to promote branching, they do fine on there own if given enough light.

Yes that answers the question. Thanks! I guess I didnt want to end up with a girdling affect if I notched say 3 buds around the circumfrence of a leader say over a 6-12" span of a leader. I guess I havent seen any mention of this in things I have read. You seem to suggest not having your scaffold branches originating from a fairly small section of the trunk/central leader. Correct?

Yes, your first and biggest thought should be light distribution and staggering around the leader will give you better strength. 2, 4, 6" or more will be fine. Getting them the most light is the most important thing. This pic shows some evenly and staggered branches and green tip (1/4 inch green) buds......Sandbur

DSCN1379.JPG

thank you!