Crap. Stripped threads on Fimco tank. Ideas?

Tap

5 year old buck +
The threads (male fitting) on the outlet of my plastic tank on my 25 gallon Fimco got a little cross-threaded. The original plastic piece of crap Fimco fitting broke so I replaced it with an "upgrade" brass fitting. Well, gotta be careful with brass on plastic. I thought it was threading on okay, but I noticed today that it isn't. Just a slight drip-drip, but I'm sure it will become an issue someday when I have a full tank of liquid.
Any advice on if it's fixable?

My thoughts...

Wrap it with teflon tape... Still cross threaded, but if it seals, who cares? (but will it last?)

Or...
Smear epoxy puddy on the stripped (male) threads and re-attach the brass fitting. I've been amazed at some repairs I've made with epoxy puddy. The stuff is tough as nails and doesn't let go. But I've never tried it to repair/seal plastic threads.

Or...
Try this stuff on the threads and reassemble. I've recently used this stuff on some other repairs (shoe soles and suitcase wheels and the stuff is incredible...(so far). We'll see how the shoe repairs last, but I can say it's WAY better than Shoe Goo for fixing the crappy foot wear that's sold these days.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...wdpDsc946brbXXEz7uHYgaAhNv8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or...
My last idea it this stuff. I've had limited experience with it, but so far it seems like a good product for some uses. I repaired a goofy fitting on my ozone unit. It's held up where 3 other repairs had failed.
https://www.instamorph.com

Any of you had to repair stripped plastic threads? Can it be done, or am I looking at buying a new tank?

Sorry TAP ... not even gonna ask how old and warranty.

For $150, buy a new one ... save yourself the aggravation... life is too short ...

use an expandable freeze plug. the plug would go inside the opening.tighten up the wing nut on the plug... done deal

I'd epoxy that sucker in there and forget about it.

I'd test the epoxy/plastic bond somewhere non-critical, and then go that route as well if the bond held.

Other option is to install a backer and thread the nipple into it with a gasket on the inside of the tank.

How hard is access to the inside? Can you reach it through the fill hole?

Petroleum pipe dope is what I'd try. Same stuff we use when plumbing fuel tanks, hoses, and pumps. Stays somewhat pliable, and is resistant to getting eaten up by gas and diesel. I'd imagine similar challenges with acids from spray mixtures.

If it were me, I'd probably put metal/plastic epoxy on both female and male threads and then epoxy putty around the lip. I'd screw it in trying the best I can not to cross thread it if possible. You might even try to carefully use a tap and die to reorient the threads beforehand. Let it set and see what happens. It is a cheap fix. I'd use it as long as it holds and then think about replacing the tank.

Thanks,

Jack

Some good ideas already.
I'd use PC 7 epoxy to fasten a threaded coupler to the tank so I never had to use the bad threads again. Put a pipe nipple in the the coupler to use your brass cap or just get a threaded plug to go in the coupler. Probably best to use a pipe nipple and your brass cap.

Sorry TAP ... not even gonna ask how old and warranty.

For $150, buy a new one ... save yourself the aggravation... life is too short ...
Spending $150 if I don't have to is an aggravation. If I can fix it for a few bucks, I'm trying that first.
Hey, I can spend the $150 on seed that I can test!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Teflon tape would be an inexpensive first attempt. That's where I'd start. If it doesn't leak you're all set.

I'd try to install a fitting (tape first then epoxy if tape fails) onto the damaged threads. Then add a lightweight easy to turn valve to the fitting that way you never stress the bad threads by removing or installing a plug or cap again.

Wrap it good with Teflon tape. The Teflon tape holds quite well. You do have some threads, right?
Spending $150 if I don't have to is an aggravation. If I can fix it for a few bucks, I'm trying that first.

A new 25-gallon tank is around $60. If Teflon tape works. OK. Otherwise, like 'spud said, you'll have more aggravation and frustration trying to fix the old one.

Yeah, I found some for about $70...half of what Spud said they cost.
But I still want to try to fix the old one before I scrap it.
I'm not gonna get crazy with repairs, but trying a few simple things is worth it IMO.
I just wondered if any of you guys ever dealt with something like this...just thought I'd ask.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

emoji12.png
emoji1.png

Yeah, I found some for about $70...half of what Spud said they cost.
But I still want to try to fix the old one before I scrap it.
I'm not gonna get crazy with repairs, but trying a few simple things is worth it IMO.
I just wondered if any of you guys ever dealt with something like this...just thought I'd ask.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

I was commenting on the whole sprayer price wise. We do a lot of threading for metal parts in our shop. Once a thread is not in tolerance, it is bad an hard to retool. If this is a poly tank that the threads are bad, you cannot repair. They have no structural integrity. In essence, the poly materials is the seal.

Good suggestions to try the various tape, but the thread needs to stand up to the duty.

For $60 to replace the tank ... a no brainier ... cheap never lasts and always fails when you need it the most ... for me that is always on Suday a t 3 pm when I have no ability to recover ...

You may be able to get a short brass nipple, a size bigger than the I.D. of the drain hole of your tank and heat the brass nipple slightly then thread it into the hole. You may even epoxy the nipple before you thread it into the tank. The brass nipple should be sharp enough to self tap itself into the poly tank. Then all you will have to do is get a new cap to fit the opposite end of the nipple that is sticking out of the tank. I have a 15 Gal Fimco and if my memory serves me right there is enough meat around the drain to support this.

It's about $400 for a new sprayer of that model. And I originally thought a new tank would be more than $100...That's why I 1st thought to try to fix it. $70 for a new tank ain't too bad but I still wanted to explore possibilities for repair.
There are some pretty amazing adhesives and compounds these days, not to mention different hardware on the market. So I thought I'd ask for some input. I'm not discounting your advice, I appreciate your opinion.
There's a dozen ways to skin a cat. I'm not throwing this tank away until I at least try a couple things first.

cheap never lasts and always fails when you need it the most ... for me that is always on Suday a t 3 pm when I have no ability to recover ...

Ain't that the truth!

The Teflon tape and pipe dope only help to lubricate threads and do not actually seal threads. If there is virtually no pressure other than what the water sitting against it is and you have some threads, I would start with good silicone on the male threads first. Thread your coupling on, let it set to dry and try it. If that doesn't work then you can epoxy the threads. That's most likely a last resort.
Finally if the epoxy won't do it, get a rubber plug and plug the inside of the tap. Buy a bulkhead fitting and install it.

The Teflon tape and pipe dope only help to lubricate threads and do not actually seal threads. If there is virtually no pressure other than what the water sitting against it is and you have some threads, I would start with good silicone on the male threads first. Thread your coupling on, let it set to dry and try it. If that doesn't work then you can epoxy the threads. That's most likely a last resort.
Finally if the epoxy won't do it, get a rubber plug and plug the inside of the tap. Buy a bulkhead fitting and install it.
I wonder if you could find a boat plug to fit.

IMG_0071.JPG
I wonder if you could find a boat plug to fit.

If the hole is small enough. These are about the same price and available in different sizes. Best of all they are heavy duty.