All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crabapples in the South

dawghall

A good 3 year old buck
What are your favorite varieties of crabapples for deer in the South? I'm in southern GA.

Many of us on here are from Northern states, so can't give good, accurate info on what works down south. Maybe some of the guys from NC and south can answer that for you.

I have ran into the same issue being from the south, I live in south ms. I ordered the crabapple package from the wildlife group and will give them a try. I also have a wild crab on my place and started 2 rootmaker 18 trays the other day and will plant them.

I'm probably not far enough south and I'm just starting to incorporate apples into our program in central VA. The named crabapples I'm starting with are Virginia (Hewes) Crab and Dolgo. If you like the characteristics of the wild crabs on your place, you can clone them. Some wild crabs can be fairly true to seed, but if you want an exact copy, simply wait until those seedlings are large enough and graft them with scions from the parent tree. You will get a genetically identical tree.

Thanks,

Jack

I'd call the wildlife group. They are located in South Alabama so what works for them should be close to working for you I would think.

Look up Yates. Originated in GA, but is one of my favorite deer apples (large crabapple) in MI.

Wildlife group (out of Alabama as Neahawg shared) recommends Callaway, Dozier, Transcendent, Dolgo, and Hewe’s. Page 6 of the linked pdf from their page speaks in detail to each crabapple.

Went with Dolgo on my place in North FL because I liked its form and ornamental qualities (I have trees planted in a double row leading directly from my backyard to a pond behind my house).
http://www.wildlifegroup.com/catalogue/32968-final.pdf

Deepsleep - Yates grows well for you in Michigan ?? I thought about trying one here in Pa.

Deepsleep - Yates grows well for you in Michigan ?? I thought about trying one here in Pa.
Yes sir. Might be the most precocious apple I have and disease resistant as well. Seems to bear every year and has a unique and pretty tasty flavor. Also hangs on the tree after ripe if you are looking for a late dropper. Ripens early to mid Nov in S. MI.