Attachments

• DSCN0613.JPG
    DSCN0613.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0614.JPG
    DSCN0614.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is Dolgo or it has some Dolgo genetics. The blossom end and the " plum shape " of some of them make me think Dolgo, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to these crabs. Maybe Stu or Maya or Sandbur will chime in, or one of the other apple guys.

John-my two grafted dolgos look like that but quit dropping apples about the first week of Sept. Please let us know how long this one drops applesor I should say how late it drops apples.

Is this in Mn. or Mo.? If in Mn. it might be worth a graft or two if it always drops this late.
for reference, my chestnut crabs are just about done dropping.

Is it on the north side of the silo?

Look for any new growth hat is one foot long or so. That would be good grafting material. New growth is above the last collar.

Art, this tree is in MN. has not dropped an apple yet. But the deer seem to be hitting the lower ones right now. I will be honest, since we don't have any cattle in the feed lot anymore, this is the first time i have seen this tree. No idea how it got this big so fast, as it was not there 5 years ago that I remember. So I know little about it. But it sure has a lot of fruit on it!

Sounds like cattle manure may be the reason for growing so fast.

John-my two grafted dolgos look like that but quit dropping apples about the first week of Sept. Please let us know how long this one drops applesor I should say how late it drops apples.

Is this in Mn. or Mo.? If in Mn. it might be worth a graft or two if it always drops this late.
for reference, my chestnut crabs are just about done dropping.

The dolgo like apples on the large tree up at my parents house was still holding quite a few apples this past weekend but less than half. It is quite old so no idea if it was grafted or not. Apple look fairly similar to the ones pictured in this thread.

A sweet, later-dropping crab? I think planting some seed is a good idea, but this thing should also be grafted to preserve the variety. I bet some of the grafters on here would give that a shot if you just sent them scion wood. And you get to name it!

The dolgo like apples on the large tree up at my parents house was still holding quite a few apples this past weekend but less than half. It is quite old so no idea if it was grafted or not. Apple look fairly similar to the ones pictured in this thread.
The chestnut crab that is 80 miles north of me is about a week or ten days behind the chestnut crabs at my place for this year. I wonder if late spring could mean later apple drop. My chestnut crabs on a north slope are also a bit behind south slope trees-why I asked about the silo.

Hey Mo, maybe I can order some seed from you early on this year and snag some scion wood from you when I am there. That way I can just graft you however many you want! :)

Sounds like a plan! Once the time comes just remind me to run up your way!

Late February into early March. Sometime in there usually!

I've got a couple of seedlings from a tree in Crow wing county that are holding crab apples. but some are a bit smaller than those apples on your tree.

John-What size are the apples and when do they drop?

IMG_9058.JPG

John-I would like some grafting scions off of that one.

This rootstock crab has dropped about 1/3 of it's apples.

I found a loaded one too!

Wow....idk what happened to the quality when I resized it?! Oh well. This was from about two weeks ago, but drove by it yesterday and it hasn't dropped an apple yet. I took a bite into one about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't the best tasting