All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coyotes or wolves

chummer

5 year old buck +
I joke but we do grow big Yotes. They DEC did a DNA analysis on them and they do have a % of wolf in them.
image.jpg
Here is my version of a plot saver.
image.jpg image.jpg

Coywolf.

How do you turn your plot saver off?

Waaayyy too short of leg to be a timber wolf. Snout is also too pointed and not broad enough to say wolf.

Coyote all the way.

I did not mean to suggest they could be wolves. I just thought they looked big, and as much as I despise them I thought the first pic was kind of cool.

I've got a love/hate thing going on with coyotes. I did my thesis at UMASS on the social organization of the Eastern coyote. I think they are beautiful animals. Your first picture I think shows that. And indeed, mitochondrial DNA analysis shows a hybridization event with wolves as they migrated east. However, as I sat in my stand this AM on the opening day of Mass. shotgun and listened to first, a lone male, and then the entire pack howl not a few hundred yards from my stand I hoped I would get a chance to take a few out.

I hunted the plot those Yotes are in for the first two mornings of riffle season. I did not have a single morning buck pic in that plot. My sole purpose sitting there was for a shot at those two. They had been in there almost every day that week. Of coarse they showed up the third morning when I wasn't there.

I did not mean to suggest they could be wolves. I just thought they looked big, and as much as I despise them I thought the first pic was kind of cool.
Sorry chummer, I misconstrued what you were saying. They are some "healthy" looking yotes as far as that goes, very colorful coats. Put a small hole in the both of them so the pelts aren't torn up and the first pic would make a really cool floor mount.

Last edited:
Winter's on - so be kind to your yotes. Release them from winter's harsh, icy struggles. Feed 'em................................ a lil' lead !!!!

Small holes like Whip said - then off to the taxidermy man. Cool pix tho.

There are some really nice coyotes in WI as well. I shot this old male in WI a few years back when I was on my stand waiting for a deer to walk by - he was a really big one, but he had mange along his back so his pelt wasn't any good. When I killed this coyote he had a spinal column and pelvis from a fawn in his mouth. The wolves in our area are much larger though and on trail cameras appear to be a foot taller than the coyotes.

Attachments

• 2008 WI coyote. paint.jpg
    2008 WI coyote. paint.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm lucky so far. I've heard them in the evenings when at my property late, but have only caught one yote on camera in the 4 years of owning the property.

Yotes will get 40 pounds in wi. Our yote group averages 20-30 a year. 50 plus when you count trapping. We only get a couple a year that are prime. We got a prime 37 pounder last winter the ole lady is getting a scarf made out of.

Yotes will get 40 pounds in wi. Our yote group averages 20-30 a year. 50 plus when you count trapping. We only get a couple a year that are prime. We got a prime 37 pounder last winter the ole lady is getting a scarf made out of.

LOL!!! You have a great women there ...

I have seen bigger wolves during bow season, what do you think they can reach size wise?

The two I have seen during bow were bigger than my 90 lbs Lab.

I'm not sure how big a wolf can get. But, I gotta believe they can go 150 lbs and more. Some look pretty big (but they are typically quite lean.)

I don't think the biggest one the feds ever trapped on our place broke 80 lbs. All of the 60-80 lbs ones looked way bigger than a 100 lb dog but very lean. Despite what the internet says wolves over 100 lbs in MN are pretty rare. Bucko Snyder, a trapper in NE MN was interviewed in the Duluth paper a couple years ago and said he never had any break 100 lbs.

coyote 2009 comp.jpg
This is how we deal with yotes in the Hoosier state - 12 gauge deer slug took care of the possibility of it going to the taxidermist.