Coyotes or wolves

chummer

5 year old buck +
I joke but we do grow big Yotes. They DEC did a DNA analysis on them and they do have a % of wolf in them.
image.jpg
Here is my version of a plot saver.
image.jpg image.jpg

Coywolf.

How do you turn your plot saver off?

Waaayyy too short of leg to be a timber wolf. Snout is also too pointed and not broad enough to say wolf.

Coyote all the way.

I did not mean to suggest they could be wolves. I just thought they looked big, and as much as I despise them I thought the first pic was kind of cool.

I've got a love/hate thing going on with coyotes. I did my thesis at UMASS on the social organization of the Eastern coyote. I think they are beautiful animals. Your first picture I think shows that. And indeed, mitochondrial DNA analysis shows a hybridization event with wolves as they migrated east. However, as I sat in my stand this AM on the opening day of Mass. shotgun and listened to first, a lone male, and then the entire pack howl not a few hundred yards from my stand I hoped I would get a chance to take a few out.

I hunted the plot those Yotes are in for the first two mornings of riffle season. I did not have a single morning buck pic in that plot. My sole purpose sitting there was for a shot at those two. They had been in there almost every day that week. Of coarse they showed up the third morning when I wasn't there.

I did not mean to suggest they could be wolves. I just thought they looked big, and as much as I despise them I thought the first pic was kind of cool.
Sorry chummer, I misconstrued what you were saying. They are some "healthy" looking yotes as far as that goes, very colorful coats. Put a small hole in the both of them so the pelts aren't torn up and the first pic would make a really cool floor mount.

Last edited:
Winter's on - so be kind to your yotes. Release them from winter's harsh, icy struggles. Feed 'em................................ a lil' lead !!!!

Small holes like Whip said - then off to the taxidermy man. Cool pix tho.

There are some really nice coyotes in WI as well. I shot this old male in WI a few years back when I was on my stand waiting for a deer to walk by - he was a really big one, but he had mange along his back so his pelt wasn't any good. When I killed this coyote he had a spinal column and pelvis from a fawn in his mouth. The wolves in our area are much larger though and on trail cameras appear to be a foot taller than the coyotes.

Attachments

• 2008 WI coyote. paint.jpg
    2008 WI coyote. paint.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm lucky so far. I've heard them in the evenings when at my property late, but have only caught one yote on camera in the 4 years of owning the property.

Yotes will get 40 pounds in wi. Our yote group averages 20-30 a year. 50 plus when you count trapping. We only get a couple a year that are prime. We got a prime 37 pounder last winter the ole lady is getting a scarf made out of.

Yotes will get 40 pounds in wi. Our yote group averages 20-30 a year. 50 plus when you count trapping. We only get a couple a year that are prime. We got a prime 37 pounder last winter the ole lady is getting a scarf made out of.

LOL!!! You have a great women there ...

I have seen bigger wolves during bow season, what do you think they can reach size wise?

The two I have seen during bow were bigger than my 90 lbs Lab.

I'm not sure how big a wolf can get. But, I gotta believe they can go 150 lbs and more. Some look pretty big (but they are typically quite lean.)

I don't think the biggest one the feds ever trapped on our place broke 80 lbs. All of the 60-80 lbs ones looked way bigger than a 100 lb dog but very lean. Despite what the internet says wolves over 100 lbs in MN are pretty rare. Bucko Snyder, a trapper in NE MN was interviewed in the Duluth paper a couple years ago and said he never had any break 100 lbs.

coyote 2009 comp.jpg
This is how we deal with yotes in the Hoosier state - 12 gauge deer slug took care of the possibility of it going to the taxidermist.