Covert MP6 Black

brad420

Yearling... With promise
I just purchased a Spypoint BF-6 and would like to purchase one more game camera. I am looking at the Covert MP6 Black for the second camera after doing some research. I do not have any previous experience with either camera. Any recommendations or experience with either of these cameras would be appreciated.

No experience with the spypoint, but have been running 3 covert mp6 since last summer. Nothing bad to say about them. I think they are better on batteries than the moultries we run. Both m88o black and m990i black. Since you researched I'm sure you are aware there is some blurring on all three of the cameras mentioned above at night. Mostly fast moving animals.

Our mp6 are also black.

Last edited:
I saw some of the night photos of the black cameras. The blurring was not a show stopper for me. Is there a big difference in night images between the regular IR and the black?

I own a mp6 black and mp6 and actually like mp6 black photos a little better. If you are willing to spend a little more the red 40 takes great night pics. Scoot

Agree with scoot. Have only owned cudde IR and I think the IR takes a better night pic. But, I also believe the mature bucks will not put up with the flash of the IR as much as the black flash. We think we have pushed mature bucks off of trails where we had white flash home brew and IR cams.

One of the reasons I selected the black flash is for the reason you mention about pushing the matue bucks off of the trails with regular IR flash. I guess the real question is what is more important, the quality of the photo or just knowing what is in the area? Is the quality of the regular IR photos worth the potential risks of pushing the deer? Any opinions?

IMO, IR is not worth pushing deer off trails. I don't mind some blurred pics. When we ran IR in the big forest we would only get a couple of days of mature bucks and then they were off that trail. I think all deer are different in how much disturbs them, even mature deer.

IMO, IR is not worth pushing deer off trails. I don't mind some blurred pics. When we ran IR in the big forest we would only get a couple of days of mature bucks and then they were off that trail. I think all deer are different in how much disturbs them, even mature deer.
How would you rate the covert mp6 black? Is it worth purchasing or would you recommend something else?

I just purchased a Spypoint BF-6 and would like to purchase one more game camera. I am looking at the Covert MP6 Black for the second camera after doing some research. I do not have any previous experience with either camera. Any recommendations or experience with either of these cameras would be appreciated.

brad, I have a Spypoint BF-6 that I wrote a little bit about here.

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/spypoint-bf-6.345/

I have several Covert Black 60's. Day time pics are great, night not bad at all. I'd rather have a little blurry pic than a clear one with a flash. When it takes a pic at night you see nothing. I have heard others you amy see a red or purple glow. I see or hear nothing at all with mine.

I have several Covert Black 60's. Day time pics are great, night not bad at all. I'd rather have a little blurry pic than a clear one with a flash. When it takes a pic at night you see nothing. I have heard others you amy see a red or purple glow. I see or hear nothing at all with mine.
I am now looking at the covert mp8 black and the black 60. The black 60 is a little more than I want to spend but it has good reviews.

So far I'm very happy with the two spypoints that I have, especially for the price. I usually run them in video mode so nighttime motion blur is a non issue.

bueller said:
So far I'm very happy with the two spypoints that I have, especially for the price. I usually run them in video mode so nighttime motion blur is a non issue.
I bought mine from eders and it was the last one they had otherwise I would have bought 2. Wing supply was the next cheapest at $129.99. I found a covert mp8 black for $124.99 and mp6 black for $114.99. Still trying to decide.

We have covert mp6. moultrie m880 black and m990i black. We like them all. They each have a good and just a little bad. Moultries are a little more costly than mp6 when we bought last year. Performance picture wise, I don't notice a big difference for what I want. I didn't see it listed above, but www.trailcampro.com has a good review of most cameras. I have no experience with spypoint. Good luck with your decision

Here's a few pics from my black 60. When I purchased I found Wing Supply to be the best price.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Ho
We have covert mp6. moultrie m880 black and m990i black. We like them all. They each have a good and just a little bad. Moultries are a little more costly than mp6 when we bought last year. Performance picture wise, I don't notice a big difference for what I want. I didn't see it listed above, but www.trailcampro.com has a good review of most cameras. I have no experience with spypoint. Good luck with your decision
How many flash LEDs does your mp6 black have? I have seen different numbers on different websites. I have seen 28, 35, and 40 LEDs depending on the website.

Sorry Brad, our cameras are over 2 hrs. away, and we won't be getting to them for a couple of weeks. Did not know about the different LED numbers.

Sorry Brad, our cameras are over 2 hrs. away, and we won't be getting to them for a couple of weeks. Did not know about the different LED numbers.
I assume that only one of those numbers is correct. When I went to the covert website, they no longer offer that model and I could not verify which number was correct. I will call covert today and see which is correct. Thanks.