Cover vs accessibility

DiSc0Rd

5 year old buck +
If you haven't read my plot log quick catch up my timber is very thick. Parts are not walkable and is a deer would die there no way to get a quad to it. This is a problem with my dad who off getting up there and honesty myself as I've had both shoulders operated on and dragging a deer through over grown underbrush sounds terrible. So, we plan to take the chain saw to a lot as soon as season ends. But I worry that the timber hasn't been managed in so long clearing small trees, bushes, vines and such will push them out of our timber for next year. Long and short of it is we have to clean it up I have 30 acres I'm not even utilizing because it is to thick. I guess the question is so I leave some pockets of super thick ground areas for cover and busy clean out shooting lanes or try and get a clean start before the growing season and see what comes up

If you haven't read my plot log quick catch up my timber is very thick. Parts are not walkable and is a deer would die there no way to get a quad to it. This is a problem with my dad who off getting up there and honesty myself as I've had both shoulders operated on and dragging a deer through over grown underbrush sounds terrible. So, we plan to take the chain saw to a lot as soon as season ends. But I worry that the timber hasn't been managed in so long clearing small trees, bushes, vines and such will push them out of our timber for next year. Long and short of it is we have to clean it up I have 30 acres I'm not even utilizing because it is to thick. I guess the question is so I leave some pockets of super thick ground areas for cover and busy clean out shooting lanes or try and get a clean start before the growing season and see what comes up

There is a reason you are dragging deer through thick brush cover ... think about it ... many would kill for 30 acres of thick cover ... duh!

There is a reason you are dragging deer through thick brush cover ... think about it ... many would kill for 30 acres of thick cover ... duh!
I know what you are saying and I'm taking they into consideration. However, I know they are walking from place too place workno chance of ever crossing our path. It also does no good to kill a deer toy can't recover because you can't get to it. My father has had his knee replaced and now needs a hip done. Water in the desert can't help you if you can't reach it.

That 30 acres might already be a sanctuary for deer.

That 30 acres might already be a sanctuary for deer.
That's the main worry. I've also thought about just clearing say pockets 15 to 30 yards in to get off the edges and at least be able to see inside the thick stuff

If you have to thin it out you can try to strategically leave some(maybe enough that the deer still feel safe?). Ultimately, having thick cover on your property is a big piece of the habitat puzzle for deer.

Maybe replace some of it with more desirable( for your hunting) types of trees or shrubs.

Deer like thick stuff. Well, when the pressure is on.
Summer bucks like thin stuff, because their antlers are ouchy.
Deer are lazy and would like nothing more than to walk a clear path through the jungle that protects them.
Think you and Dad. You like the woods but prefer the path of least resistance.

I see nothing but a perfect place to play in. Don’t go hog wild but clear some paths for yourselves. And make sure they go by some killer trees that would house a good stand. Because the deer will dig your paths too.

P.S.
Yours is a good problem. When I bought my place it was all field, hay field...

I know what you are saying and I'm taking they into consideration. However, I know they are walking from place too place workno chance of ever crossing our path. It also does no good to kill a deer toy can't recover because you can't get to it. My father has had his knee replaced and now needs a hip done. Water in the desert can't help you if you can't reach it.

Each property has has strengths & weakness'. Thick cover is usually not a weakness. Rather than changing it, find a way to leverage it and enhance it.

Last edited:
Deer like thick stuff. Well, when the pressure is on.
Summer bucks like thin stuff, because their antlers are ouchy.
Deer are lazy and would like nothing more than to walk a clear path through the jungle that protects them.
Think you and Dad. You like the woods but prefer the path of least resistance.

I see nothing but a perfect place to play in. Don’t go hog wild but clear some paths for yourselves. And make sure they go by some killer trees that would house a good stand. Because the deer will dig your paths too.
I think this is what was in my head but it's nice to have some validation. The concept is sound but seems a waste to have this place as a resource and not bounce ideas off of everyone.

Do you happen to know what any of the thick stuff is? If it's just brush or is it something the deer browse on a regular basis? If they like to eat it ,then i would try not to remove very much. jmo

Do you happen to know what any of the thick stuff is? If it's just brush or is it something the deer browse on a regular basis? If they like to eat it ,then i would try not to remove very much. jmo
Looks like most of it is small trees and briar bushes

Sounds like it's too big for a flail mower to clear it? maybe a bigger brush hog? Chainsaw is manual labor and mowers will cut closer to the ground.

Sounds like it's too big for a flail mower to clear it? maybe a bigger brush hog? Chainsaw is manual labor and mowers will cut closer to the ground.
Brush hog and saws is what we have which does lend itself to the path idea rather than a mass clearing

Thick is a blessing. My property is thick already, and I'm trying to make it even thicker. A classic setup is to hunt the edges, have food on the edges that attracts the deer outta the thick stuff.

Then from there, an easier recovery begins with great locations and great shooting. I pass on any shot that isn't a two foot put. I've got the ability to roll into the nasty and heave a deer out, but I don't have any desire to chase a wounded deer. So lots of deer that get close get the pardon.

Maybe throw up some pics to help create some perspective.

If you give those young trees a few years to mature they will canopy and your thick cover problems will naturally go away. your property won't hold as many deer once that happens though!

I think a forestry mulcher would be the easiest and fastest way to create a few openings in your area right now. Perhaps clear an area or two for a food plot with a shooting lane that gives you a shot opportunity at any deer feeding there. Your stand could be in the thick stuff and with a rifle shoulder shot the deer should drop in the plot.

I have taken several deer this year on my property and have a similar problem. We are in big woods very hilly area in southern Ohio. We have food plots on the ridge tops and cover in the bottoms. The deer always run down the hills to areas that you cant get to without a chainsaw which is a pain to drag them up the hill to the quad. So I decided to make a 2' x 3' four wheel drive radio control motorized platform. Uses 10" tiller tires to get traction. Still building it but hope to still try it out this season. I will post a pic when I do. Should be able to either drag the deer out or put it on top and drive it out. It wont be super cheap but if I don't have a heart attach pulling a deer out it is worth it.

As mentioned choose your shots carefully and place them perfectly in the top of the shoulder and the brush is not a problem as they won’t get to it. Also boning them out on the spot saves a lot of time and labor if one does manage to get deep into the brush or into a steep downhill location that is assuming you have a few small trees in the mix.

Thick is a blessing. My property is thick already, and I'm trying to make it even thicker. A classic setup is to hunt the edges, have food on the edges that attracts the deer outta the thick stuff.

Then from there, an easier recovery begins with great locations and great shooting. I pass on any shot that isn't a two foot put. I've got the ability to roll into the nasty and heave a deer out, but I don't have any desire to chase a wounded deer. So lots of deer that get close get the pardon.

Maybe throw up some pics to help create some perspective.
Pretty much been my philosophy also. Try to draw them out. Does and smaller bucks come out pretty regularly. Wallhangers a lot less. Usually get a legit shot once every few years. Makes me rethink going into the thick stuff and opening it up. Seems mapped out in my head to experiment until I show up in person and remember how wild it is. I have a few spots I could (should?) hunt in thick cover but I've really become used to not forcing fast/risky shots. I want to know the deer I shoot is a trophy (to me it means a shoulder mount) and know that I'll kill him.