All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cover for future tree plantings

KDdid

5 year old buck +
I'm planning on putting in several CRP windbreak strips next spring, and would like to establish white clover in the strips where the trees are going. I missed the opportunity to frost seed the strips while waiting for surveying work to be completed this past winter, so now I'm looking at discing and planting by broadcasting. What recommendations would you make for a nurse crop? I'm thinking about either WW or WR, for winter forage, but since I'll be planting trees in April, perhaps I should leave out wheat/rye, and just go with straight clover. Any advantages to one method over the other? Timing or methods I should be aware of? Thanks.

We've used oats as a nurse crop for clover with good results. Once the oats go to seed heads, you could mow the oats to let more sun on the clover if you want the clover to jump. We've never planted WW or WR in the spring, only around Labor Day for fall/winter forage. You could go with oats this spring as a nurse crop with clover, then mow the oats off and seed WR or WW into the clover for fall forage. Next spring, spray the strips with gly to kill the WW or WR and plant your trees. You get winter forage and can still plant in spring.

I'm thinking I might just wait until September to do anything, currently working without a tractor. Maybe outs/clover would be a good option- if I could get it done sooner.

If you're far enough north oats oats will winterkill, which might be the best cover crop option in your situation. I'm in southern michigan and oats don't make it to Christmas around here.

Why wait? If you can get on it soon spray your strips, broadcast the clover and oats and mow. Mowing is optional IMO.
Just seed a bit heavier this way.

I have plans on putting in some clover this way later in the month when I get back to the farm.
I'll be digging my disc out of the bushes after years only to try some beets. If it were not for a good seedbed needed for beets the disc would stay in the bushes. (Not looking forward to messing with flat dry rotted tires)

Actually there's nothing to mow here. Corn stubble with a few weeds mixed in. Do you think oats will grow without any kind of seedbed preparation?

I'm thinking I might just wait until September to do anything, currently working without a tractor. Maybe outs/clover would be a good option- if I could get it done sooner.

You are on the right course. I love Winter Rye as the cover crop. You did not mention your location. I like Durana in my area for ground cover under trees. It is low growing, persistent, and drought tolerant. It is best fall planted with a Winter Rye cover crop because it is slow to establish. Once established, it is pretty aggressive.

Thanks,

Jack

Do you think oats will grow without any kind of seedbed preparation?

Heck yea. If it's sitting on dirt and gets rained on it will grow. Rye will do better but won't a make seed head spring planted.

As long as the birds don't eat it all before it germinates it will grow.

In my orchards I like ladino and crimson clover mixed with chicory.
I'm starting to like chicory more than brassicas its a perennial with as much protein as most forages and the deer eat it up once they figure it out.