couple of MN house bills

leexrayshady

5 year old buck +
Change in who can kill a dog chasing big game
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...ssion_number=0&session_year=2015&version=list

Let people 84yrs or older take any deer they want.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/te...ssion_number=0&session_year=2015&version=list

I would have to say that I disagree with both bills, especially the dog chasing game having to be killed by a cop.

As to law #2, I would have no issue with allowing an 84 yo to kill whatever deer they wanted, caveat would be "they" must kill said deer, not a member of their "party". The law is worded as such, but how would you ever enforce it? Super hard to prove anything.

I have direct experience with the who can kill a wild dog. That change won't really effect anyone. And the second law...well it won't effect too many either. Most of us will be dead before 84

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/life-expectancy-male
Somehow I doubt moving 10 minutes to the west is going to add a year and a half to my life, just sayin'.;)

I think if you 84 years old and want to kill a deer.....then you should be able to afford a license. I really don't have a big problem with this bill.....it's just that there are more important matters to work on than some of this drivel.

Already you need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to interpret the regulations.

As to law #2, I would have no issue with allowing an 84 yo to kill whatever deer they wanted, caveat would be "they" must kill said deer, not a member of their "party". The law is worded as such, but how would you ever enforce it? Super hard to prove anything.

Yup, I agree with the spirit of the law, but it would be too easy to abuse.

Somehow I doubt moving 10 minutes to the west is going to add a year and a half to my life, just sayin'.;)

Harder to access quality cheese curds may make a difference? :p

That would most likely take years OFF "my" life! Mmmmmm...cheese curds!

I have a question - how many 80+ year old hunters are out there pushing for this bill? I mean seriously - if you can, all the more power to you, but seriously. How can someone dedicate the resources to push something like this thru, with all the other issues that need addressed. I really would like to see the rally turn out to support this issue!

As far as the dog thing is concerned - if it's your land, and shooting a gun isn't against the law for some other reason.......what dog, seriously, what dog, I didn't see a dog.

I had dog problems on my place and my neighbors this year and they were seen killing a fawn. I went over to talk to neighbors that owned the mutts and she told me to shoot them. Apparently that was easier than her having to keep track of them. Talk about lazy! If they do get shot im going to throw them in her yard and make her dig a hole.

You're better off telling them the dog was being aggressive and threatening you. You can kill a dog in self defense 365 days a year in any state I would imagine.

Better off just shooting shut the hell up!

Well yeah, I just meant if the dog makes it home and somebody starts asking questions. As long as you and the dog are the only witnesses, "he was threatening me" is gold. Even if the dog lives and knows you're lying they're usually too afraid to testify.

I had dog problems on my place and my neighbors this year and they were seen killing a fawn. I went over to talk to neighbors that owned the mutts and she told me to shoot them. Apparently that was easier than her having to keep track of them. Talk about lazy! If they do get shot im going to throw them in her yard and make her dig a hole.
Might just be road kill.

Geez, are we neighbors and I dont even know it??? Same problem in my neighborHOOD. Told the other common sense neighbor about it and I called the CO. CO said wasnt much he could do without seeing it. Told us to SSS. We took matters into our own hands. The one neighbor got one of them with bow and arrow and I am pretty sure I got the other one with some tasty Johnsonville antifreeze flavored brats. The hood neighbors told us to kill them if we saw them and that it was too much work to control them.

I could give a rats ass what the bill says. I will defend my property the way I see fit.

As far as the old codgers and the FREE hunting and whatever they want to shoot. BS!!! I am sick of these old windbags getting whatever they want and leaving nothing for the future. You already get everything under the sun for free and bankrupting the country. I think you can contribute just a little for future generations.

Does it say free?
What about areas where there are very few deer? Kids doe tags are being abused at a cost of $5. I wish most hunters would grow up and realize the kids tags are for the KIDS!

How many hunters are there over 84 in the state of MN? Is this bill hoping to attract and retain hunters over the age of 84?

Good grief.

I didn't see anything about free either, did I miss something? I would assume they had to pay for a license like everyone else and their tag would be good for any deer, very similar to the way handicap tags are treated in WI. The hunter still has to buy the license.

Geez, are we neighbors and I dont even know it??? Same problem in my neighborHOOD. Told the other common sense neighbor about it and I called the CO. CO said wasnt much he could do without seeing it. Told us to SSS. We took matters into our own hands. The one neighbor got one of them with bow and arrow and I am pretty sure I got the other one with some tasty Johnsonville antifreeze flavored brats. The hood neighbors told us to kill them if we saw them and that it was too much work to control them.

I could give a rats ass what the bill says. I will defend my property the way I see fit.

As far as the old codgers and the FREE hunting and whatever they want to shoot. BS!!! I am sick of these old windbags getting whatever they want and leaving nothing for the future. You already get everything under the sun for free and bankrupting the country. I think you can contribute just a little for future generations.

HEY.....I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK! I'm not sure calling out "old windbags" and "old codgers" is gonna solve the problems with you young whipper-snappers. More than a few of us have paid more into this system than you can count. My generation didn't have any stinking food stamps or free medical, free cell phones, free edumucation, yadda, yadda. Most of my generation did without until we could afford to buy things. Speaking for myself.....I worked my fanny off and took huge risks to get ahead in life.....and they didn't always pan out, either.

NOt very many of my generation had the luxury of owning hunting land at the ages of some of the whipper-snappers on this site. now the govt won't even let me spend it or give what I have to my kids without getting their grubby fingers on most of it. So, if you want to blame someone, look no further than your own generation...and don't paint with such a broad brush. There is plenty of blame to spread around. Just saying. :):D:rolleyes: (Removing tounge from cheek)

Last edited:
That has to be one of the dumbest statements on here! WTF?

Really?? My generation sure doesnt appreciate the $18 trillion dollar bag of shit that has accumulated for us to pay off. Most of these politicians and giveaway programs were set into place long before I (we) could vote. I dont get in on the receiving end of the benefits like so many in this country. Just get out the KY and send in the quarterly estimates and mail out a couple more big checks at tax time. The give aways for everyone need to stop. I have had too many bitter experiences with some of the oldsters cleaning out the local lakes and mowing down all the woods and cover to farm it to care about them anymore.

The bill for 84 and older is nothing more than pandering.

Attachments

• spending.jpg
    spending.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 7
Really?? My generation sure doesnt appreciate the $18 trillion dollar bag of shit that has accumulated for us to pay off. Most of these politicians and giveaway programs were set into place long before I (we) could vote. I dont get in on the receiving end of the benefits like so many in this country. Just get out the KY and send in the quarterly estimates and mail out a couple more big checks at tax time. The give aways for everyone need to stop. I have had too many bitter experiences with some of the oldsters cleaning out the local lakes and mowing down all the woods and cover to farm it to care about them anymore.

The bill for 84 and older is nothing more than pandering.
not sure how long you've been voting.....but over 1/2 of that debt has been accumulated in the past six years. six more of those kinda years.....and you can kis your fanny goodbye. So.....how long you been votin? My generation is NOT who elected this administration....and my generation wudda let the "to big to fail" banks....fail. Hope you like your "free" health care.

On the dog thing...

Much was made about the national movement to lower BAC to .08 for DUI back in the day. The courts were jumping up and down pleading for legislators to not do it because it would clog an already burdened local court system. I would venture to say if you asked the CO's about this dog rule, they'd be against it. I felt bad for our CO for all the times we tried to utilize the authorities to stay within the confines of the law. The number of calls the poor guy got about dogs chasing deer seemed like it'd break him. I mean just the calls, not actually doing anything about it. The mut situation is epidemic in many parts of the north country.

Seems like there is a narrative building from some sort of dog movement. I've never heard so much banter about dogs until recently. Trapping regs being proposed, every case of traps left unattended getting reported, dogs caught in traps, now dogs getting wolf style protection in management. Always a hidden agenda running in the sewer in MN.