Cost to build a cabin?

I've thought of snow-birding. It is not critical for me in zone 7a. I probably would enjoy a warmer climate for the Jan/Feb, but I like the weather here the rest of the year. I haven't been able to convince myself that owning a place down south is worth it for that window. I could see renting something for a month or two perhaps in different places down south.

Keep in mind adding square footage going vertical is always cheaper than a bigger foot print when building. The amount of $ that can be saved if you can DIY projects or portions of projects yourself is a game changer in my book. If you can wait to build until mid year next year you should be setting better in terms of material costs, barring anymore *^()&*$ hurricanes. If your going to build something be your own general contractor at least. Saves you 10-20% straight away and you will have incentive to find the best deals on materials.

Keep in mind adding square footage going vertical is always cheaper than a bigger foot print when building. The amount of $ that can be saved if you can DIY projects or portions of projects yourself is a game changer in my book. If you can wait to build until mid year next year you should be setting better in terms of material costs, barring anymore *^()&*$ hurricanes. If your going to build something be your own general contractor at least. Saves you 10-20% straight away and you will have incentive to find the best deals on materials.

Interesting. I found just the opposite with a pole barn. We considered putting the living space above the barn, but found that, given you have the land for a larger foot print, building a larger 1 story pole barn with the living space inside was much less expensive than putting up a smaller footprint barn with the living space above. Perhaps that is different with other kinds of construction?

I also found that to be the opposite, I actually did build up, and the cost of trusses to support the extra weight, and the the fact I built above my shop, all of the codes with it having to be air tight, fire ratings, separate heating and cooling systems, was considerably higher. I could have easily doubled the size of my shop for the cost I spent to go up.

I also found that to be the opposite, I actually did build up, and the cost of trusses to support the extra weight, and the the fact I built above my shop, all of the codes with it having to be air tight, fire ratings, separate heating and cooling systems, was considerably higher. I could have easily doubled the size of my shop for the cost I spent to go up.
That is what the pole barn builders told me as well. It is the additional structural support required to go the second story that was the cost driver. To make a pole barn 8' longer it is simply a matter of a couple more posts, trusses, metal, and cement. They said that it is most efficient to make the dimensions divisible by 8 to fit standard lumber.

This thread has my experience with building the pole barn: https://habitat-talk.com/threads/new-barn.11326/

Maybe currently that is the case? When we looked at building a finished Morton Building the cost was cheaper to go up. Less concrete, less roofing material. All the home builder guys I have watched lately on YouTube say the same thing. The cost of more roofing and basement or foundation by creating a bigger foot print will cost you more than going 2nd story. Typically you then also have longer runs for HVAC and electrical if you have a bigger foot print.

Maybe currently that is the case? When we looked at building a finished Morton Building the cost was cheaper to go up. Less concrete, less roofing material. All the home builder guys I have watched lately on YouTube say the same thing. The cost of more roofing and basement or foundation by creating a bigger foot print will cost you more than going 2nd story. Typically you then also have longer runs for HVAC and electrical if you have a bigger foot print.

Very interesting. Perhaps it is because with a poll barn there is no real foundation, just footers. I can understand where building a home going up may be less expensive. I'm not sure runs are any longer. In my case, using a mini-split in the living area that wasn't the case.

I wonder if there is a location dependence as well. All I can say is comparing quotes, here in my area, for a pole barn with living space, horizontal was less expensive than vertical. It also worked out better for me. I put overhangs on the barn which gives me more covered outdoor storage for equipment.

I probably should have had put in overhangs on both sides when I had it built. It wasn't long before I realized I wanted an overhang on the other side. The are almost done with it now. It would have been less expensive to have included it in the original plan and probably look a little better.

Thanks,

Jack