Cost to build a cabin?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
What would be an average cost to build a two bedroom cabin with a loft? average size maybe? What is the annual upkeep on something like that? This would be in eastern Ohio.

I think it would be hard to get a reasonably accurate cost given todays supply chain issues. Unless you plan to build it yourself, labor cost may be an issue as well.

I think it would be hard to get a reasonably accurate cost given todays supply chain issues. Unless you plan to build it yourself, labor cost may be an issue as well.

Yeah right now about 3x what would be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would be an average cost to build a two bedroom cabin with a loft? average size maybe? What is the annual upkeep on something like that? This would be in eastern Ohio.
You would need to provide some more details like do you want electric, water, plumbing. Or do you just want a glorified shed structure. I think $80 a sq ft would be reasonable to have someone build a more modern structure, plus land and utilities which could in themselves run in the tens of thousands. A good size Amish built shack on the other hand, delivered with a wood stove can probably be had for under 30,000

Last edited:
How rustic are we talking? Do you want a septic system, electric, AC, furnace, sheetrock, foundation, shower, carpet, trim? You could easily spend $150 a square foot on a fairly simple cabin if you want a few of the comforts of home.
If you just want a place to lay your head and sit by the fireplace, much much less.

I have the land. Would prprobably want something on the smaller side but with septic and probably electric. Would need a well but water table is shallow. Possible half basement (hill side build)

I have the land. Would prprobably want something on the smaller side but with septic and probably electric. Would need a well but water table is shallow. Possible half basement (hill side build)

I'd start with sceptic and see where it perks. That my drive building location which would drive design.

I'd start with sceptic and see where it perks. That my drive building location which would drive design.
There is a reason the plumbers come first when your building a house - everyone else can make shit run up hill.

Conservative estimate for ~1200-1500 sqft single floor... basic plain jane simple design ...

Foundation & cement - $20K
Septic/Well - $15k
Electric & fixtures - $5K
Plumbing - $5K
building structure & framing, insulation, & drywall - 45k
Cabinets - $5k
Roofing - $10k
Windows - $10k
Interior - flooring, doors, paint, etc. - $10k
Stove, Refrig, Wash/Dryer - $7k
HVAC - $15k
Total estimate - $147k

Walk-out basement - add another $30k

My first place was a 66' x 37' pole barn. One side was 44' x 37' for storage and other 22' x 37' was living space with kitchen, bathroom, living room, & 2 bedrooms. Included septic, well, etc. Place had heating & AC, but also a wood stove for heating while we were there. We had the contractor build the structure, run elec, and lay the plumbing. We did all the rest - flooring, dry wall, cabinets, painting, elec fixtures, etc.

Expect most builders to be booked out at least 12-18 months and delays on all materials to be significant... 2-3 times normal lead time.

I am probably pretty light in above estimate, just built a 30' x 60' 2.5 car heated garage 2 years ago (before crazy price increases last year) for $110k.

Last edited:
If you are starting from scratch, need dirt work, septic, well, electricity, etc.... in my experience youll have 60K+ invested before you even have a physical structure started.

My 40 acres came with a pre-manufactured building that the prior owner had delivered and set on blocks and an outhouse. I don't really use it for much but storage but it could be a pretty decent setup for much cheaper if one didn't need running water. The buildings were only about $14k when I looked last year. Not what you're looking for but certainly less of a headache and economical if a full build is too much.

shack 1.jpegshack 2.jpegshack 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Here in Ohio the regulations changed for well & septic two years ago making the price really jump.
Average well in country is around 8K for first 140’ and $25 a foot for anything deeper.

Septic systems have gone through the roof with red tape and rules like crazy. Average cost is $20K-$35K to put in. And the county inspects them annually first three years and then every 2-3 years after that forever to make sure they stay compliant.

The state is supposedly going to be slowly making everyone who has existing homes in the country switch over their systems to make them compliant to the new regs if they aren’t already and will be inspecting all of them.

So being an excavator/soil biologist/inspector or contractor will be jobs in demand that can almost guarantee a great salary.

Last edited:
I just built in the middle of a woods, clear the site, $3000,
build up the site for the structure, $7000

Well $7500
Septic 3 br mound$18,000

Electricity to the site from the road $5000

Plumber $10,000
Electrician $11,000

That’s before the structure,
I have about $130k into my structure, mostly materials.

Hell, my deck was $11,000, but I bought the lumber when prices were stupid high, because I needed the deck for a second exit, to get the final inspection.

The prefab "little red barn" idea, on runners, may not be all bad. Those can be had and delivered. But ya, if you're gonna have water, heat, and septic, those things can be buried below ground and take your dollars up pretty quick.

I'd guess for something decent to sleep in, 100-150k is a starting point, unless you can do a lot of it yourself.

I went the little shed house route. No extra taxes and cost wasn’t too bad. I am thinking about buying a metal 24x24 garage to replace my old lean barn. I could just buy an old farm house in my area with all the required infrastructure for 100 to 150k and probably get some additional acreage with it, and not deal with trying to find rural contractors that I hate to say it aren’t reliable.

Attachments

• A2BB9392-099F-416B-B589-5B822D0A378F.jpeg
    A2BB9392-099F-416B-B589-5B822D0A378F.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 25
I went the little shed house route. No extra taxes and cost wasn’t too bad. I am thinking about buying a metal 24x24 garage to replace my old lean barn. I could just buy an old farm house in my area with all the required infrastructure for 100 to 150k and probably get some additional acreage with it, and not deal with trying to find rural contractors that I hate to say it aren’t reliable.
Portable shed was all I could afford. I wasn't willing to take on any new debt to get into a shack. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still do this same idea. Had this for four years now. Mine is split in half. One end is cabin, one end is attached garage. Gotta be savvy with what I store. That means nobody gets to leave sh*t there for their convenience. It's worked well.

b.jpg

c.jpg

I've always wished for a small cabin too with plumbing and a real kitchen, etc. I only live 20 minutes from my land.....so we took the low-cost route. I had my pole shed built 14 years ago and it's a good, tight, concrete floor, unheated shelter for my tractor and most of our toys....but some machinery has to live outdoors. I had 400 amps of power put into our property for pretty low cost about 10 years back and I drove my own standpoint well at that time too. I HAVE A WELDER and all the needed tools and stuff to be self sufficient. The well is just an outside sink on a stand with the well pump next to it.....and not made for winter.

We have an old outhouse that does the job.....but I do wish for indoor plumbing and warmth etc. I bought a nicely-built, small log cabin and I had it delivered set on blocks for a reasonable price ($10,000). It's only 12 x 20 but I had it wired and put in a small electric heater that does a great job. It's really got a nice feel inside. it heats cheap......and provides a great place to hang out, and for use to take a break and have meals, etc. I have a Gas flat iron grill and we make pancakes and sausage for lunches (easy peasy). A bIMG_0700 2.JPGIMG_0701 2.JPGIMG_0702.JPG

eer fridge takes care of that need....and an outdoor gas webber makes hot dogs or steaks. We got a big screen TV (46"er) to watch football games.

As my home is 20 minutes away.....we overnight at my home and have an evening meal there too. I sure wish we had enough room to stay on site at my hunting land....but it's just not practiacal in light of my situation. As it is.....I have about $40,000 invested in the cabin, pole shed and improvements. Oftentimes I wish I had the small home you want on my land....because hunting camp would be a more fun experience.....but it just isn't in the cards for me. In my youth, I would have stayed here - no problem. But I like the comforts of home. What I got works. The outhouse is a log sided "two-holer"....lol.

$150,000 would probably get you in the ballpark.

Now I’ve been running this out this year too.

So far we’ve done:

Brush Clearing / Site Prep / 150’ driveway: $9k

Electrical - 100 Amp Service run 100’ through the brush. We cleared and ditched. Dads an electrician. Parts and Materials: $3k

Camper: 30’ 2002 Model. Bought in March 2022. Leaks like a sieve now. Full of mold. Rotten. Would not recommend. $3k.

Septic: We just made contact with a guy that pumps campers out on a weekly route. But as it’s getting cold - water is going out of camper. We crap in the woods. My guess is for an engineered septic - budget $20k - $35k.

Water: We bring in water. Next year we will bring in water on a 275 gallon tote connected to a shallow well pump. That’s $500 and a PITA. We don’t shower there. A shallow well is around $3k in materials and digging. Most counties won’t give you an occupancy cert with a dug well. (Last house I owned had a dug well - we had to drill a new well before we sold. That was $10k in 2017. Probably $20k now.

So I figure there are 4 ways to skin this hunting land shelter thing out.

1) $150k. Cabin with electrical, water and sewer.
Cons: Most money. Long wait. Dealing with inflated lumber and contractor prices. High maintenance. Be ready to open your wallet. And at 7% interest get ready to feel sick. Taxes are going up significantly.
Pros: You probably get your money back. All the comforts of home.

2) $5k - $50k. Camper with some services
Cons: Sucks in winter. They all leak. High maintenance. Tough to fix and work on. You won’t get your money back EVER.
Pros: Keeps your taxes way down. Keeps the state of your back if you show pumping receipts. Ready to go. Can build a roof over it and not worry about leaking.

3) $15k - $50k. Amish Shed/Cabin with some services.
Cons: It sucks to run a generator. It sucks to crap in an outhouse. Might not get your money back. Taxes might go up.
Pros: Much better to work on and insulate than a camper. Quick to install.

4) $60k - $150k. Gambrel or Cape Garage with upstairs area”.
Cons: Taxes will go up, but usually not as much as a dwelling. Cost - still less than a cabin
Pros: You will get your money back. Place to store all you stuff. Don’t need to make it a dwelling - taxes could be lower. If you build a cabin - you’ll still want a garage. If you want it to stay rawish land - it could still be or if you want to put in electrical, sewer and a well you can do this over time. Possibly have an income generating apartment if you did build a house.