Cool season grass management

nwmn

5 year old buck +
Does anybody here have a lot of fescue or other grasses that are prevalent in their landscape? We just started greenup yesterday, and I'm seeing a lot of green grasses emerging. I dont know how much burning we will be getting done this year as a lot of our duff layer has been dispersed due to 6" of rain in the last 10 days and a lot of fuel is soaked, flooded, or washed away.

I've wanted to try and run fire through the landscape, and then follow up with some chemical management to deter the cool season grasses from dominating the landscape and promote forbs and warm season grasses. Am I better off trying a growing season fire, or shoudl I run fire, then get aggressive wiht my sprayer (boomless nozzles) and try and hit as much area as possible? With the cost of gly way up, is anybody using clethodim to control these grasses, or is that stupid high priced as well?

I would mow the area in mid September and spray the fresh fescue growth in early to mid October for your best chance of long term killing of the cool season grasses.

Your best bet is to spray gly after the first or second hard frost next fall. I followed the first frost idea until the nrcs told me to wait until the 2nd for killing off brome. That worked very well but I had good success after the first hard frost as well. Anything prior will just be setting it back for a brief moment.

Does anybody here have a lot of fescue or other grasses that are prevalent in their landscape? We just started greenup yesterday, and I'm seeing a lot of green grasses emerging. I dont know how much burning we will be getting done this year as a lot of our duff layer has been dispersed due to 6" of rain in the last 10 days and a lot of fuel is soaked, flooded, or washed away.

I've wanted to try and run fire through the landscape, and then follow up with some chemical management to deter the cool season grasses from dominating the landscape and promote forbs and warm season grasses. Am I better off trying a growing season fire, or shoudl I run fire, then get aggressive wiht my sprayer (boomless nozzles) and try and hit as much area as possible? With the cost of gly way up, is anybody using clethodim to control these grasses, or is that stupid high priced as well?

Do you have fescue or are you talking reed canary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely rcg in spots. The river bottom ground has a ton. Then jn the woods it seems like fescue in the higher ground areas

Your best bet is to spray gly after the first or second hard frost next fall. I followed the first frost idea until the nrcs told me to wait until the 2nd for killing off brome. That worked very well but I had good success after the first hard frost as well. Anything prior will just be setting it back for a brief moment.
The timing of our frosts is so tough. Sometimes we get snow right at our second frost. I may need to do fall chemical control as I just busted my ankle yesterday.

The timing of our frosts is so tough. Sometimes we get snow right at our second frost. I may need to do fall chemical control as I just busted my ankle yesterday.

Take it easy so you can heal.

Nwmn, that's sucks. Hang in there, looks like a later spray is forces now.

Take it easy so you can heal.

Lol. Pun intended? I'm gonna have to find a few friends to step in and help. This is definitely not something I want to rush though, you're right. Had surgery today and plan to baby it so I get back to firefighting, land management, and being a fun dad quicker.

Nwmn, that's sucks. Hang in there, looks like a later spray is forces now.
For sure. My dad is retired so I may put him to work. I will need to baby sit as he doesn't have the big picture plan conceptualized like I do.

Lol. Pun intended? I'm gonna have to find a few friends to step in and help. This is definitely not something I want to rush though, you're right. Had surgery today and plan to baby it so I get back to firefighting, land management, and being a fun dad quicker.
Hope the recovery is quick for you!