Consistent early season success

I'm guilty of this. This year I only have put my cameras in easy to access spots on my plots. No deep woods cameras this year.

I did the same thing this year. Put my cameras and salt licks close to adjacent trails where they are easy to access. Also keep my card pulls to a minimum. I have had cameras out for two months....but only pulled cards three times.

In addition to placing cams in easy to access areas and not checking them very often, I like to keep them on the same tree for months and even years in most cases. I figure to the resident deer the camera becomes part of their environment instead of being "that new thing" that catches their attention and raises their suspicion.

I've had some success on opening weekend and next week or so. I like to hunt near oaks with water..or...I sit in standing corn next to beans or clover.

Never anything real big though, some decent bucks--some Id probably pass now.

In addition to placing cams in easy to access areas and not checking them very often, I like to keep them on the same tree for months and even years in most cases. I figure to the resident deer the camera becomes part of their environment instead of being "that new thing" that catches their attention and raises their suspicion.
Good idea, leave the security box out there
No bucks on camera. Not a single one. Just a bunch of old hags and their kids. Hard to kill them if they are not there.

My land is currently 94% heavily wooded and 6% open. If you are going to hunt. You are going into the woods.

Good luck to you early season hunters.
sounds like a perfect time to whack so does. U can't pressure a buck that isn't there.

Good idea, leave the security box out there

sounds like a perfect time to whack so does. U can't pressure a buck that isn't there.

That's actually plan. I was toying with not hunting but I kind of feeling like hunting does with the cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually plan. I was toying with not hunting but I kind of feeling like hunting does with the cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll never forget seeing my first deer harvested with a bow when I was like 5 or 6. I could probably pick out the exact tree my ole man made a stand in, if the trees still alive. It was so cool and I'm still hooked to this day. It's actually, opened up the door for all the stuff I've learned about soil, habitat, native plants, everything.
It isn't just about deer or bucks, it's about opening a door for your boy, and maybe giving him a moment he will never forget. Maybe shaping a huge part of his life. That's pretty damn cool.