All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conifer spacing

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Whats the rule of thumb on planting conifers? Fruit trees are normally 25-30 feet. If you intermingle pines, cedars, & spruce does that effect the plan?

If you're mixing all three, the pines will reach for the sky quickest, so I wouldn't plant them so they block the sun for the other 2 kinds. That said, it depends on how you're using the conifers. Screen - I'd plant the spruce every 12 to 15 ft. and then plant a second row staggered so trees in row 2 are centered in the gaps of row 1. If you're screening from a road or a neighbor ( again taking the sun into account ) I'd plant the spruce closest to the sun, next the cedars, then the pines furthest from the sunlight as they'll get the tallest - quickest.

If you're planting for winter thermal cover / bedding, I'd space them at 20 ft. if you're not going to later thin them. That way you get some space for grass & weeds to grow in between. Growth speed is still the same for all three, so you may want to think about your planting layout. Random plantings look natural and IMO make the best deer attraction for bedding and security cover. If you need thicker cover quicker, you could plant them at 8 to 10 ft. spacing and thin them later as needed.

Whats the rule of thumb on planting conifers? Fruit trees are normally 25-30 feet. If you intermingle pines, cedars, & spruce does that effect the plan?

What type of conifers?

What are your planting objectives?

I was once told that the limbs on mature spruce will just touch if planted 15 feet apart.

In northern climates for thermal cover during the winter you do not want grassy areas between spruce. In the dead of winter, you want the closed canopy to keep ground temperatures warmer and to decrease snow depth. I heard of one study where dense conifers could maintain a 3-5 degree advantage over open areas for ground temperature at night.

We have a contract to plant trees for CRP and the DNR Forester is calling for 7 feet between trees and 12 feet between rows. We are planting about 4000 conifers (tamarack and white spruce). Seems close to me however we will thin out if we need to later on. This planting is to add more thermal cover and to add more acres to one of our sanctuaries.

Bur - you're probably right for as far north as you guys are. Tight planting would most likely be better for snow protection. Here, small openings that let the sun in seem to work. Deer back themselves under the spruce limbs so the sun shines in on them to soak up the heat on south exposures. Every place has it's own needs I guess.