Confirm my thoughts

Skelly

5 year old buck +
With all the rain we are having here in VA I thought I would do a walkabout. I came across this young tree only about 1” diameter.

I am thinking it’s a chestnut oak maybe swamp. I wanted to make sure because these photos would be the only ones I have on my property so I might release it from some canopy competition. I know my neighbors property and I have not identified any on their property (combined 50 acres). A1074F95-7E4A-490C-B862-8A5012BE04A4.jpegECB4A70F-01C5-4EEA-B5A2-A05B49EA8444.jpeg1F081D58-9974-4E02-B22B-902CD3BDA77D.jpeg223B184A2-6599-4C86-9712-C72B332A89E1.jpeg2 small ones near the larger one 6C6D1EE4-B695-499A-8944-19DA74E07278.jpeg

I would say chestnut oak based on the leaf and bark. Swamp chestnut has more of a shag bark. Not the best deer acorn because they have higher amounts if tannin than the Swamp C.O, that makes them a bit bitter.

I would say chestnut oak based on the leaf and bark. Swamp chestnut has more of a shag bark. Not the best deer acorn because they have higher amounts if tannin than the Swamp C.O, that makes them a bit bitter.

Thanks for the info. Up until today I didn’t think I had either one. So I’m happy with either one.

They sure will drop some huge acorns. I've got them around my house in the woods. The acorns really seem to sprout well if the squirrels leave them alone.

I've got plenty of them. They drop huge acorns and nothing eats them until there is no other acorns left.

I've got plenty of them. They drop huge acorns and nothing eats them until there is no other acorns left.

I’ve noticed that also. I literally have thousands of acorns in and around the yard in the fall. But by spring their gone.

Never thought of it before now but do you think the tannin lessons as time goes on as they lay on the ground?

I’ve noticed that also. I literally have thousands of acorns in and around the yard in the fall. But by spring their gone.

Never thought of it before now but do you think the tannin lessons as time goes on as they lay on the ground?

In years of good mast crops, mine are never eaten. In poor mast crop years they are gone by spring. Either you are right or the desire for high carb food eventually overwhelms any preference issues. Either way, as oaks go, the seem to be the least desired around here.

Thanks,

Jack

I agree with that. My home is in a neighborhood of houses. Every house is 3 to 5 acres. No real food and lots of skinny deer. Maybe they vacuum them up before the lawns start to grow.

Still that makes them good in this situation. I wouldn’t plant them. But they have a place here.

Crazy what holds some deer over.

I like the idea of adding another option. Way better then the gum that’s now taking up the room in the canopy.

I agree with that. My home is in a neighborhood of houses. Every house is 3 to 5 acres. No real food and lots of skinny deer. Maybe they vacuum them up before the lawns start to grow.

Still that makes them good in this situation. I wouldn’t plant them. But they have a place here.

Crazy what holds some deer over.

Yes, they certainly serve a purpose. They are not what I look for when I'm going to pick a treestand location, but they do have value. I completely agree. I would not plant them as there are better alternatives in most cases. However, I certainly will not remove the chestnut oaks I have.

Thanks,

Jack