Cold feet

tooln

5 year old buck +
My feet always get cold when sitting in the stand. I was thinking of geting a pair of Muck Artic Pro's, or possibly a boot blanket. Any suggestions?

One of the best things i ever purchased for hunting was 2000 gram thinsulate boots from cabelas. Many times I wear nothing but a pair of standard white socks and stay warm.

Mr Heater. :D

4 gallon plastic bags over the top of a very thin pair of socks, one or two pair of good wool socks outside of the bags. Your wool socks stay dry and keep your feet warm. Yes, a good pair of boots are necessary as well but the bags have saved me and kept me in stand for day long sits.

Mr Heater. :D
In the shadow hunter warmth is not a problem, my climber and ladder stands are different stories.

The Muck Atctic's are good for me until the temps get in the low 20's, then I need Pac boots.

how about an old piece of carpet or rug zip tied to the platform to insulate your feet from the cold metal?

how about an old piece of carpet or rug zip tied to the platform to insulate your feet from the cold metal?
Done that and it helped some. But I froze them when yunger and been paying for it since.

h636EEE6F

Before I started using a Heater Body Suit, I used Boot Blankets with a chem pack in each, for the really long, very cold sits. They worked well for me. A bit of a pain packing them around (not overly heavy or cumbersome, just more stuff to drag out and I don't like taking more than I have to). My feet never got cold, though, and I also frost bit them many times in my tragically misspent youth.

Full disclosure, I have no link with a chem pack or Boot Blanket company.

This is my favorite subject to discuss with the hunting group. I've conquered cold feet completely. Here we go!

You need good insulated boots, but you don't need 4 inches of closed-cell spray foam boots. I use Sorel Pac boots, and wear plain white cotton socks. Ears, fingers, toes, noses all get cold as a result of the body prioritizing energy away from extremities and concentrating it around the core where your vital organs are located. It's not cold getting in, it's your body taking heat out.

To keep your extremities warm, you have to keep your head and core warm. I utilize a lot of layering over my chest and stomach. T-shirt, long sleeve T-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, Cabelas Wooltimate vest, carhart bibs, heavy orange coat.

You will generate a lot of heat while you're walking, so open up as much as you can and go slow. You want to get warm on the way out, but you don't want to break out into total sweat-down. Get in your stand and zip it all shut again. By doing this, I can wear mechanix gloves vs heavy insulated gloves that make trigger manuvering tough. I'm not very thick, and have been able to withstand some pretty tough conditions when others bailed hours earlier because they were freezing up. The wind would go right through their coat and bibs and they'd still freeze up their toes and fingers with all their fancy gloves and BOB boots.

Its just a matter of science. The body will push surplus heat to the extremities when it has it. Give it a shot. It'll change your outdoor experience forever. I've also utilized this to enable me to ice fish outside in the wind all day long. No cold feet, no cold nothing. I can fish outside down to temps where the equipment fails before my warmth tactic fails.

^^ I agree SD. Last winter I (finally) bought an ice fishing parka and bibs. I was out in -20 degree weather all day with this stuff on......and never got cold. Amazing how keeping your core warm works on the other parts. You still gotta keep those extremities covered....but it's not as vital with a warm core.

^^ I agree SD. Last winter I (finally) bought an ice fishing parka and bibs. I was out in -20 degree weather all day with this stuff on......and never got cold. Amazing how keeping your core warm works on the other parts. You still gotta keep those extremities covered....but it's not as vital with a warm core.
I saw this concept explained on modern marvels once. They submerged a guy in 33 degree water with only swim trunks and an oxygen supply. They had him try to perform simple functions like screwing a nut on a bolt etc. He couldn't do it. Then they put a high heat vest on his upper torso. His arms, legs, feet, hands and head were all still exposed. With the vest on keeping his core warm, he was able to perform all functions without any problem.

I bought the blue ice armor suit last year too. Best money ever spent. No more cold wet knees that feel like brittle glass at the end of the day. No more wind, no more wet of any kind.

I agree with concept of keeping the core warm. For me that is not always enough. I am a wuss when it comes to cold feet. I have the original boot blankets. They work good. I use a medium insulated boots and chemical warmer if needed. I recently upgraded to the new style Artic Shield boot blanket these works well and can be packed into normal back pack. Easy to carry and slip on once in the stand. Also no tight boots. I buy wide boots and will not use extra socks if they make them tight.

The older I get the more my feet get cold. I use wool socks and make sure that I layer and keep my core plenty warm but my feet still get cold. Last year I got a pair of Arctic Pro Muck boots but my feet still get cold. The thing I have found that has worked best is to change to boot blankets with hand warmers inside the boot blackets. I also have found that if I put fresh dry socks on before I put the boot blankets on my feet will stay toasty warm.

I had frost bite in my toes when I was a teen, and in my hands when I was around 5 or 6. I've found the heater packs at $.50 a day are money well spent. I put them in above my toes in the gap in my 1000gr boots (which weren't enough) and haven't looked back. I buy up heaters in the spring when they're stale inventory, but even in-season they're only a buck a shot.

The heater body suit takes care of cold feet for me. I just throw a warm pack down each pants leg every morning. It realy helps add some heat inside.

I've heard and thought about the body suit but still haven't made any decisions yet.

To help keep my core warm on cold days I use a peel and sticker body heater on my first layer of clothing over my kidneys on my lower back. The ones I use are made by grabber and stay warm for 12 hours. Feels great to lean back with one of these on.

I've heard and thought about the body suit but still haven't made any decisions yet.

I pro staff for them and have used them for 15ish + years. If it ever gets to the point where you are ready to buy one, kick me a PM and I can probably get you a little bit of a discount from them. I'll spare you the infomercial, but I HIGHLY doubt you would be the least bit disappointed. If you would be for some reason, their money back guarantee is legit and they stand behind it.

To put it in perspective, back in the earlier years, I needed camera people and learned real fast that most of the "pros" got on my nerves in trees. So, I trained friends I hunted with how to film, but couldn't pay them. Instead, I'd get them a new Mathews, WRC products, arrows, heads, a heater body suit and stuff like that. Of course, they'd go nuts over getting the new bow and not give the suit much of a second thought. By the end of their first season, they'd have been more willing to give me the bow back than the suit, and they loved their bows. Those suits are one of a few products that simply do exactly what they are advertised to do and do it well.