Club Apples

I don't have any Evercrisp myself - but we buy some from an orchard in Lancaster Co. That guy grows another "club apple" / restricted grower variety - Rosalea .... (A tremendous eater!!!) You aren't that far away if you wanted to get some Evercrisp fresh off the trees next fall. PM me if you want location info. Maybe Adams County Nursery is closer for you.
I do have an orchard within 5 minutes that grows them. So good. I just want one for my yard. Long shot but I’m going to ask the orchard owner for some scions.

Anyone ever had luck getting scion from an actual commercial orchard?

It is an interesting concept but trying to keep a certain variety exclusive or only for sale to certain members would be impossible.
Just look at our scion exchange, has to be hundreds of similar things going on.

I do have an orchard within 5 minutes that grows them. So good. I just want one for my yard. Long shot but I’m going to ask the orchard owner for some scions.

Anyone ever had luck getting scion from an actual commercial orchard?

I got shot down a few times. Wanted a prized original to an old orchard mcintosh from a place locally. Besides buying apples from them, I used to work with their daughter, and bought a few cars from their used car dealership.......

mehrabyan nursery had some newer varieties like crimson topaz and some other names. Wouldnt mind getting my hands on Cosmic crisp though. Galarina, liberty, enterprise, pristine, empire, and sundance probably be just fine for me. That golden delicious like wild seedling I am grafting this year will make some great sauce and cider.

I got shot down a few times. Wanted a prized original to an old orchard mcintosh from a place locally. Besides buying apples from them, I used to work with their daughter, and bought a few cars from their used car dealership.......

mehrabyan nursery had some newer varieties like crimson topaz and some other names. Wouldnt mind getting my hands on Cosmic crisp though. Galarina, liberty, enterprise, pristine, empire, and sundance probably be just fine for me. That golden delicious like wild seedling I am grafting this year will make some great sauce and cider.
I definitely would like to try growing a cosmic as well

Sweetango will be off patent 2027 ,, Why do club varieties stay private is simple the only growers that receive plant material are commercial growers they sign a contract requiring fees yearly in exchange they receive some protections that they wont have competition. in the marketplace they payup for exclusive rights and wont release them to everyone . Old thread here UofM has released several not mentioned yet Triumph , Kudos , all not club varieties,, Triumph may be of some interest to low spray guys Honeycrisp x liberty cross should be very scab resistant

Triumph sounds like it could be a nice one

It is an interesting concept but trying to keep a certain variety exclusive or only for sale to certain members would be impossible.
Just look at our scion exchange, has to be hundreds of similar things going on.
Probably. I guess the club apple thing employs the "trust system" ?? Who would police an offender anyway? 🤔

Luckily found a guy who came through big time. Need to order rootstock now
IF it's the one some of us been wanting, remeber us next year if you prune that tree a bit. Park any extra material on a mature tree waterwhip. Whatever new variety or tree I only have 1 of, I have a scoin of it growing on my old mature trees. I got one really old tree looking horrible. I only keep it around to grow scion material for another year or two. Even if you only got an inch or two of twig left, put it on those whips.

I got a few scions, like kerr and ides of march that put on 2ft of growth on that old tree.

Been wanting a goldrush, but don't want to spray for cedar apple rust.

I recently discovered Rubyrush. A cross between goldrush and enterprise. By chance anybody have that tree or atleast found apples locally and tasted them?