Club Apples

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us Lee.

no go on evercrisp, membership dues are $100 per year with roayalties on the tree of up to 30 cents per year up to 30yrs, if I read it correctly

This is a good and a bad thing.

I love a good Honeycrisp, but when you buy them look on the label where they are grown, off season chances are its ground in the southern hemisphere and won’t have the right taste and crisp. This new trademark system protects product quality by controlling who can produces the apples, the bad news is that you, me, and most everyone else can’t get our hands on a tree.

I just looked over the 2016 newsletter from the Midwest Apple Improvement Assoc. Their Evercrisp club apple is ramping up in production and they are evaluating a few other selections they are testing.

They also are releasing a couple new varieties to the public through Gurney's. One is called "Crunch a Bunch" and the other called "Bakers Delight". Both are said to be scab and fireblight resistant. Bakers Delight sound like it could be a good deer apple. Ripens in September and hangs on the tree. I might get one despite what Gurney's charging $40 vs $30 for other varieties.

http://www.midwestapple.com/midwest-apple-improvement-association-newsletters.htm

I understand the idea behind this type of club thing but at the same time it's a real shame for us hobby growers as we will likely never have access to these varieties.

As club apples go, the Midwest Apple group is quite open and affordable to growers. It is organized and run by growers and filling the gap as most university breeding programs have wound down. It is very promising that they are willing to release some varieties to the public. Royalties and fees for an Evercrisp tree come to $5.40 over 20 years but you do need to join their association at $100/year.

I have a less favorable view of exclusive club apples brought out of government funded university programs like SweeTango from U Minn and SnapDragon and RubyFrost from Cornell. But even those programs will continue to release varieties that consumers can buy and plant. They will just keep the ones most likely to be a hit at the grocery store in the club structure. Those that are not commercial successes will eventually become available to the home grower.

Uof m recently released a new apple nursery number mn55 named First Kiss nationally will be marketed under Rave , This is a club apple honeycrisp cross with mnark will ripen 15 aug and be very crisp high quality apple early season when high quality is hard to get we planted 400 trees last spring and let a few fruit these are going to bring Minnesota honeycrisp quality 5 weeks earlier in the season

As a rule be patient there are many , many honeycrisp cross varieties in the works they will be everywhere in a few years , every breeding program crossed honeycrisp , theres going to be many coming they wont all be club varieties

Jung's has a variety called KinderKrisp. It is a smaller snack size apple that has Honeycrisp as one of it's parent.

Jung's has a variety called KinderKrisp. It is a smaller snack size apple that has Honeycrisp as one of it's parent.
I have tried it twice and like it. It was developed by a small grower/apple breeder in central Mn. Apple size is like a big Chestnut crab.

Seems to be quite a few of those that are grown around the room here. However that was published in 2014 so that's probably why.

Uof m recently released a new apple nursery number mn55 named First Kiss nationally will be marketed under Rave , This is a club apple honeycrisp cross with mnark will ripen 15 aug and be very crisp high quality apple early season when high quality is hard to get we planted 400 trees last spring and let a few fruit these are going to bring Minnesota honeycrisp quality 5 weeks earlier in the season
I think there are already 2 "new" Honey Crisp varieties that will be available next year to the general public next year. I have to admit I think it is a bit ridiculous the amount of sport mutations on the market for some apple varieties now. I think Cripps Pink "Pink Lady" now has 4 or 5 supposedly different variations available to growers.

I have tried it twice and like it. It was developed by a small grower/apple breeder in central Mn. Apple size is like a big Chestnut crab.
Looks like Stark just introduced two new Honeycrisp crosses, Ruby Darling & Scarlet Crush. Both bred by a small Orchard owner I believe.

I think there are already 2 "new" Honey Crisp varieties that will be available next year to the general public next year. I have to admit I think it is a bit ridiculous the amount of sport mutations on the market for some apple varieties now. I think Cripps Pink "Pink Lady" now has 4 or 5 supposedly different variations available to growers.
I know of 6 different crosses currently marketed some are River belle , kindercrisp , sweetango ,first kiss , sugar bee , evercrisp , and that's the ones im aware of there are multiples more three of these came from private orchards in Minnesota , Some of these came about by saving seed from the very first honeycrisp planted then the bees did the crossing , unscientific but when you start with half honeycrisp it ups the odds you will have a winner .

What about the genetic engineered varieties that are not supposed to brown after you cut them...I think polar is added to the name.

Edit:
http://www.arcticapples.com/how-did-we-make-nonbrowning-apple/

I just happened to catch some of the national news tonight, they talked about the artic apple (which is actually somewhat old news), but they did make it a point to point out that it was a GMO apple so therefore likely capable of producing cancer!:rolleyes: I wish the news would actually report the news and keep their BS to themselves.

Old thread but I tried my first evercrisp today, was pretty good tasting apple.

Has anyone gotten an evercrisp in the ground?

Has anyone gotten an evercrisp in the ground?
I don't have any Evercrisp myself - but we buy some from an orchard in Lancaster Co. That guy grows another "club apple" / restricted grower variety - Rosalea .... (A tremendous eater!!!) You aren't that far away if you wanted to get some Evercrisp fresh off the trees next fall. PM me if you want location info. Maybe Adams County Nursery is closer for you.