Clover germinating, but not WR.

Scott S

5 year old buck +
I seeded clover/WR on 9/1. Got rain 6 days later. I have a ton of clover germinating, but almost no WR. My soil is quite acidic, with no amendments yet.

I had low expectations because of my lack of soil preparation, but based on what I've read I would've assumed the winter rye would be more successful than the clover. It's the complete opposite.
I knew I'd get rain today, so I threw a little more WR seed down yesterday figuring there would be little to no harm.

Do any of you guys know why I would get ample clover germination but almost no WR?

My soil prep game will be much stronger next year, so I'm sure I'll get substantially better results for the 2019 season. I'm just baffled that the clover germinated pretty well, but that the WR is almost non-existent.

Thanks!

Can you see any of the rye seed? Are you sure it's clover that you see germinating?

Can you see any of the rye seed? Are you sure it's clover that you see germinating?
I've got a handful of little things germinating that look like grass. From looking on here I believe it to be the winter rye. I've got a bunch of little 2 leaf things germinating all over the place that I think is the clover. But to answer your question directly, I'm not 100% sure of anything.

Why I didn't think to take a picture is beyond me.

The WR will look like grass and the clover will be 2 small leaves when they germinate. YOUR GOOD!!!! If the rye is a little thin then just top seed some. From your last post YOUR GOOD TO GO!

Unless all the rye was consumed by turkeys or birds, not likely IMO, you should see some real soon.

Posting a picture should help. Yes, WR when it is tiny looks like grass. As it gets a little larger it will begin to twist which lets you identify it easier. My guess is that both are germinating. I'd wait a couple weeks before getting concerned.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stronger" soil prep. If by that you mean adding the appropriate amendments, I'm completely with you. If you mean more or deeper tillage, more is not better.

Thanks,

jack

Also,rye is red stem.

jack[/QUOTE]
Posting a picture should help. Yes, WR when it is tiny looks like grass. As it gets a little larger it will begin to twist which lets you identify it easier. My guess is that both are germinating. I'd wait a couple weeks before getting concerned.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stronger" soil prep. If by that you mean adding the appropriate amendments, I'm completely with you. If you mean more or deeper tillage, more is not better.

Thanks,

jack

Thank you for your input, gents. Having all of you telling me I'm likely OK eases my inexperienced and paranoid mind significantly.

Jack,
I was referring to amendments. My land will never see tillage. I have neither the means nor desire to do any tilling.

Here's a pic of our cereal grains from a couple years ago.

8rZN3Hz.jpg

Here's a pic of our cereal grains from a couple years ago.

8rZN3Hz.jpg
Thank you Scott. I'm fairly confident I'm identifying the clover and winter rye correctly. I've been staring at the pictures on this site for over a year. My concern was the I have maybe 10 sprigs of rye total, but pretty decent clover germination. Which seemed odd to me. I expected lousy clover germination, and half decent winter rye germination. I got the exact opposite of that.

4 days since rain is to soon to worry. Small seed doesn't take as much moisture to pop. I'd be willing to bet that field will be green in a couple weeks and you're worrying the clover will get choked out.

4 days since rain is to soon to worry. Small seed doesn't take as much moisture to pop. I'd be willing to bet that field will be green in a couple weeks and you're worrying the clover will get choked out.

Love to hear that Bill. I'll stop being paranoid. Thank you.

Edited to add: I can't believe I didn't think of that. All the rye that I do have is in the LOW SPOTS!

F'n new guys....

Last edited:
Do you have a bunch of turkeys running around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely have turkeys.

I definitely have turkeys.

Turkeys will quickly reduce your population if you didn’t get them covered good.

Funny to see this thread come up, as I had the exact same thing happen to my plot (south MS). Planted a mix that has three different clovers, WR and a few other types of seeds. Last year when I planted it, the WR was first and fastest to germinate and grow. This year the clover is racing to the sunlight while the WR is slowly coming in. It was a head scratcher but I figured more clover is a good thing and the deer prefer WR the least out of what I planted, so I just left it at that.

Comparison for you. I put down my oats, rye, peas and clover on a Monday. Got rain on Wednesday. On Saturday the oats and clover were Germinating. The following Tuesday I went out to do some mowing (8 days later) and the peas and rye were germinating. Rye has a purplish colored stem on it. The oats are greenish white on the base of the stem. I think you’ll be fine. Last year I had real drought after seeding the rye and it was weeks without rain. It still germinated. i wouldn’t worry yet. It’s easy to say be patient but hard to actually be patient. I’m sure you’re fine.

I’m going to say that birds/turkeys got to the Rye. It’s the most logical answer. That’s why I like to plant the day before it rains, but it’s not always possible. I put in my LC Mix 2 days ago cuz we got rain today and there were crows in the field. When you try to bury the bigger seeds such as oats, winter peas and Cereal Rye, you still will get some on top of the soil unless you have a drill. I don’t however and always drag / disk the bigger seeds in. Just remember one thing, it don’t take long for the birds and turkeys to find it and also don’t think because you buried it that they can’t get to it. I’m willing to bet you lost a lot of the Rye especially if you didn’t bury the seed. If in the future you plant and it calls for rain 6 days later, I’d go heavier on the cereal Rye since u will lost some. One thing about Rye tho, it will grow almost anywhere.

No, they were playing the Panthers Sunday afternoon.........

bill

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the answers.