Clover for Frost Seeding

Tyler

5 year old buck +
Are there any varieties of clover that work better than others for frost seeding? This would be on Un tested dirt that I have had moderate success frost seeding some buck on the bag clover mixes.

In MN and western WI, any of the red clovers, with Med Red being the most used here. Alsike will work as well.

You do have to have some luck on your side when frost seeding. Heavy ground works better than light ground.

I frost seed red and ladino and have had good results. I wouldn't frost seed any annuals like crimson or berseem, tried it and it doesn't work.

In North Central Wisconsin I frost seed with a mix of Medium red, ladino, alsike and I also add chicory with very good success.

For those of you frost seeding clover, are you adding anything with it like WR? Or is it straight clover at that time of year?

For those of you frost seeding clover, are you adding anything with it like WR? Or is it straight clover at that time of year?
I have never tried frost seeding anything with the clover, most of the time I'm seeding into last years brassica plot.

In MN and western WI, any of the red clovers, with Med Red being the most used here. Alsike will work as well.

Don't you want to know his zone? Just kidding Mo:):)

You do have to have some luck on your side when frost seeding. Heavy ground works better than light ground.

Just clover.

Are there any varieties of clover that work better than others for frost seeding? This would be on Un tested dirt that I have had moderate success frost seeding some buck on the bag clover mixes.

Tyler,

You don't mention your location, so suggesting a specific clover may vary. Some varieties don't frost seed well. Crimson is a great clover that acts as a reseeding annual in my area but does not frost seed well.

Thanks,

Jack

Ladino and medium red here in WI. Works for me to keep a small clover plot thick every year. Plus the plot really is in constant turnover as its more or 1, 2 and three years old depending on which seed you are looking at. Always a nice mix of established and new growth.

Typically first week in April or whenever we get down to tap for mayple syrup I will blow the leaves off my 1/4 acre plot, spread three lbs of seed and walk away.

One summer mowing and I have a pretty care free plot.

I have had good luck frost seeding oats with clover in spent brassica plots, in fact my frost seeded oats reseeded when i mowed them, i had some nice new volunteer oats coming up in my clover this fall.

I have had good luck frost seeding oats with clover in spent brassica plots, in fact my frost seeded oats reseeded when i mowed them, i had some nice new volunteer oats coming up in my clover this fall.
Good to know, I'll have to give it a try this spring, thanks!

In both MO and KS I use medium red and ladino, but also tried Durana. I am frost seeding into winter plots of mainly cereal grains with turnips and radishes. Good luck.