Best clover for frost seeding

Ncwoodsman

A good 3 year old buck
Is there a consensus
on What would be the best verity of clover for frost seeding ? I have been looking and red clover looks is one of the most recommend

Whats growing there now? What are you looking to do? How do you maintain this area?

Think you're good with most clovers. I do a mix of plain old medium red, ladino, and dutch white. Folks have been notcing dutch white is aggressive and crowds out throw n mow of rye and brassicas. I am phasing out dutch white after hearing about this, unless I'm doing an only clover spot.

I recall hearing mixed results about balsana and crimson clover for frost seeding.

I prefer uncoated seed, but I take what I can get. I just dont like bright colors on seed thats thrown on the ground. Think the birds find it easier.

I am playing with improved ladino this winter, both patriot and durana clover. Seeing if that stuff is worth it or not. I have had good luck with both whitetail institute and plotspike clover blends. Still buy the plotspike. I throw a mix in and see what comes up. MAybe the deer like this one at this time, or the soil you have makes another type of clover sweeter.

I was thinking about the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago. So I started shopping online and looked at lots of options from BOB to mixing my own blend from leftover 2022 local grain elevator seed.

What I went with was a 4-mix clover blend, with some coated alfalfa seed thrown in, from Hancock seed. All the clovers are said to be ‘scarified’ which supposedly helps in germination. $25# bag was $96 with free shipping. I’m going to do 6# per acre and see what happens.

The plots I will be attempting to frost seed all had our food plot blend planted in them last year, which consisted of oats, winter wheat, crimson clover and arrow leaf clover and all the plots are pretty weed free and still doing good other than a few getting browsed pretty heavy. Usually we have a couple of the plots that have a good stand of crimson by September which I usually disc or burn down to plan another fall blend but I always cringe when I do. But this year I was really considering frost seeding the clover and making a couple of our smaller plots pure stands of a clover mixture and just maintaining them with clethodium and 24bd as necessary throughout the summer.

I’ve had good success with a mix of mammoth red clover , which is supposed to be more crappy and wet soil tolerant than even medium red, ladino, some MRC and alsike. That is kind of a poor soil mix but you can upgrade with some patriot or Durana if the soil is better.

MEdium red is a good clover, but I do believe reseeding is necesary to keep it up. IT's doesn't reseed itself as good as white clovers. F you mow a few times a year, red clover wont seed itself.

MEdium red is a good clover, but I do believe reseeding is necesary to keep it up. IT's doesn't reseed itself as good as white clovers. F you mow a few times a year, red clover wont seed itself.
When you mow the clover are you waiting for the clover to brown 50% or more before mowing?

The internet makes it seem like Medium red is the top dog with white clovers being up there too. I've seen mostly negative reviews on frost seeding fixation balansa and crimson clover. Frosty berseem is advertised as a good one to frost seed in most locations.

The internet makes it seem like Medium red is the top dog with white clovers being up there too. I've seen mostly negative reviews on frost seeding fixation balansa and crimson clover. Frosty berseem is advertised as a good one to frost seed in most locations.
I think it can be in poor soil conditions. It along with mammoth red is some of the only stuff I can get to grow well and quickly in wet, low pH spots. It is also persistent for me for at least a few years. Good thing to start with till you get the pH right. I have never had good success frost seeding crimson also.

Is there a consensus
on What would be the best verity of clover for frost seeding ? I have been looking and red clover looks is one of the most recommend

There is no best for frost seeding. They all require soil contact for germination. Best is to frost seed when snow is still on the ground. You can see your spreading rates and as snow melts it help insure soil contact.

I think depending on where you are at, crimson clover can act as a summer annual, but it needs to be planted after the threat of frost is gone.

Berseem clover looks great for frost seeding to get a summer annual clover. The only issue I see is the cost. Also, depending on browse pressure, you may not get much for re-seeding, but that is true for any of the annual clovers.

I have zero experience with any of the annual clovers but have been thinking of working them into the fall rotation or as a way to improve some of our alfalfa plots. Hell, I might even try broadcasting some crimson into standing sorghum.

I think depending on where you are at, crimson clover can act as a summer annual, but it needs to be planted after the threat of frost is gone.

Berseem clover looks great for frost seeding to get a summer annual clover. The only issue I see is the cost. Also, depending on browse pressure, you may not get much for re-seeding, but that is true for any of the annual clovers.

I have zero experience with any of the annual clovers but have been thinking of working them into the fall rotation or as a way to improve some of our alfalfa plots. Hell, I might even try broadcasting some crimson into standing sorghum.

The annuals are most appealing to me to me if they can be frost seeded or make it through a winter if fall seeded but then be dead or kill easily when it's time to plant the next fall's plots. Fixation is the most intriguing at the moment to include in fall blends mainly for spring forage and nitrogen fixing for the following year fall plots. I don't have enough plot acreage to do beans so it's going to be blends that can stand up to browse pressure with clovers for nitrogen.

MEdium red is a good clover, but I do believe reseeding is necessary to keep it up. IT's doesn't reseed itself as good as white clovers. F you mow a few times a year, red clover wont seed itself.

Medium reds don't persist as long as white clovers but they start quicker and that is why they generally do better for frost seeding. They are up and growing and can actually get ahead of the weeds in the spring. White clovers will definitely last longer but are much slower to get established and will often have problems out competing spring weeds in my experience. I get a solid 2-3 years out of medium red clover which is about all I can ask out of a frost seeded plot before I need to redo it.

I have tried frost seeding Fixation Balansa and it was a bust. I am going to try some Frosty Berseem this spring with a mix of Medium Red and some Alsike in a wet spot I sprayed last fall. If I get a solid 2 years out of the spot I will be happy.