Clover and weed control

This is probably what I needed to hear. Im 2000 miles away from my farm but it looks like its the WR or WW that is growing up. We cut it couple weeks ago and the clover took off. Ill try the no spray method.

2000 miles from your farm presents some unique limitations. We all have different limitations we need to work within. When I said "best value", I was not considering the time and cost of commuting 2000 miles. I live about 80 miles from my farm which is much more doable and I hope to retire within 15 miles of it. If I lived 2000 miles away, I'd become very weed tolerant! :emoji_grin:

I’m not an expert but I spot spray with glyphosate and then mow. It seems to work and the clover bounces back well. AC13B8DB-4972-4FCC-A45C-CCF3C2461BDE.jpegBE27EE05-2EE6-4621-835E-A730DF736BC8.jpegF1153048-C3F4-4D6B-9D63-AF1AC0EE6D85.jpeg

My point is that we have no idea how much gly you sprayed on the plants. The size of your plot is pretty easy to estimate and with today's mapping applications it can often be done from your living room. If your sprayer put out 10 gal per acre, you would be spraying 20 oz per ac but if your sprayer puts out 20 gal per ac you are applying at twice the rate, 40 oz per ac. So, there is no way for someone else to know how much gly you applied.

Oz/gal are typically used for spot-spraying applications.

Having said that, if you are killing everything you want to kill, you are applying at least enough gly, but you don't know if you applying too much.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing your method. I'm just saying it has limitations and one limitation is that can't be translated to others.

Thanks,

Jack
I actually feel it translates much more easily to others than quarts per acre. If my plot is 1/2 acre I put in 2 oz per gal in a 16 gal sprayer and spray till empty. If my plot is 1 acre I put 4 oz of gly to 16 gal of water and spray til empty. It is the exact same amount of chemical being applied on a per acre basis it is just much easier to relate to for the non farmer or the guy that only plots a couple of acres. Now if I spray that way and find that there are still some weeds that are a problem I go to 3 oz per gal on half and 6 oz per gal on 1 acre (plot sizes estimated) no gps, no way to accurately keep the speed the same while in small plots having to start and stop often.

I actually feel it translates much more easily to others than quarts per acre. If my plot is 1/2 acre I put in 2 oz per gal in a 16 gal sprayer and spray till empty. If my plot is 1 acre I put 4 oz of gly to 16 gal of water and spray til empty. It is the exact same amount of chemical being applied on a per acre basis it is just much easier to relate to for the non farmer or the guy that only plots a couple of acres. Now if I spray that way and find that there are still some weeds that are a problem I go to 3 oz per gal on half and 6 oz per gal on 1 acre (plot sizes estimated) no gps, no way to accurately keep the speed the same while in small plots having to start and stop often.

That is sprayer calibration! If you spray 16 gal on 1/2 ac, you are spraying 32 gal per acre. So, if you are using 2 oz per gal, you are spraying 64 oz per ac which is 2 quarts per acre. So, with the additional information you provided in this post, folks can now figure out how to apply that given their sprayer. There is nothing wrong with your method. But without know how much fluid you were applying to how much acreage, others couldn't use just the oz per gal numbers.

Thanks,

Jack