Cleth

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I’ve got some grass in my clover plots that I want to get rid of at some point. I just mowed and fertilized the clover and it has been really dry here. Should I spray it with Cleth now or yet sometime this fall or should I just spray it next spring? I have no problem spraying both times.

If you are noticing the grass "actively growing", go ahead and spray it now. If the grass is sitting more or less dormant due to lack of rain, it will have a tendency to not soak up the chemical as well and it might be worth waiting until a day or two after a good rainfall. Drought stressed plants have a lowered ability to absorb and translocate the herbicide compared to actively growing plants.

^^^^^^ Good to know.

I didn’t spray yet but I did go and over seed the plot with more Ladino clover and it is coming up nicely with the recent rain. My question is with the new clover just coming up is it still ok to spray the plot or will the Cleth affect the new clover?

Cleth won't hurt the young clover but crop oil may. Use an non-ionic instead. Personally, I won't not bother spraying with cleth now. The cool evenings of fall will soon favor the clover over grasses. Next spring the grasses will be more responsive to the cleth when they first green up. By then you can use crop oil with it.

For that reason,I reserve crop oil for "burn down" type application and favor non-ionic products for mixed cultures

bill

Cleth won't hurt the young clover but crop oil may. Use an non-ionic instead. Personally, I won't not bother spraying with cleth now. The cool evenings of fall will soon favor the clover over grasses. Next spring the grasses will be more responsive to the cleth when they first green up. By then you can use crop oil with it.

I like this idea. Saves me money and gives me more time to do something else.

Where do you guys buy your cleth and non-ionic counterpart? Are there brand names I should look for?

keystone pest control

I've used keystone when my local coop is out. Even with shipping they are competitive on many chemicals.

Hard to beat Keystone on price,selection,and service

bill

Non ionic surfactant is readily available at Atwoods and tractor supply

bill

How do you know how much non ionic surfactant to use? I've read labels and it seems really hard to nail this down on a per acre basis.

I usually add 0.25-.0.50% to spray mixture

so.....if i use 20 gallons on ATV sprayer,i would add 7-13 oz of surfactant

1gal=128oz

20 gal x 128 oz=2560 oz

2560oz x 0.0050=12.8 oz (I err on heavy side and go with 0.50%)

So ..... I add 13 oz of non ionic surfactant to 20 gal spray mixture

bill

Is there a particular brand name of cleth and the surfactant I should look for at Keystone?

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site and that people are so willing to share information. This is year 3 of plotting for me and all of you have greatly reduced my learning curve and increased by edification 10 fold. I added fruit trees last year and that's a whole 'nother ball of wax to fit in my pea brain.