Cleared meadow, now what?

mnjohn

5 year old buck +
IMG_20151010_183309523 (800x450).jpg IMG_20151010_113602975 (800x450).jpg
Cleared about a 1/2 acre meadow in the middle of my wood lot, was old stumps from some logging. Just wanted to get it level so I could mow it. It will never be a tilled food plot. wondering what i shoud plant in this area? Thanks.

This time of year I'd go winter rye and throw in some clover.

Every thing I clear turns into a thistle patch! Do you think mowing the clover will control the thistles. Reed canary was also very thick in this area sprayed it and got pretty good control. Just wondering what you guys think would be best for the long term. Clover or NWSG! Crab apples will be there!

Do you need food? If you don't need the food plot I might think of NWSG's and spruce.

^^I agree with NWSG with some red cedar or spruce. For the thistles order some of this and spot spray. It won't kill your grass or trees. I don't think thistles can be controlled by mowing, I've only see them come back thicker the next year.
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.co...-replaces-stinger-garrison-herbicide-282.html

I'd say a nice mix of plum, ROD, and conifers in there. If you need food, WR is about it at this point.

Thanks for the replies. Don't need the food. According to my forestry plan I need to keep it an open field. So NWSG with a clover egde might do the trick.

... I don't think thistles can be controlled by mowing, I've only see them come back thicker the next year.
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.co...-replaces-stinger-garrison-herbicide-282.html

You have to whack 'em multiple times a year to deplete their reserves, and it's a multiple year proposition.

I've had good luck with timely (prior to seeding out) propane maceration. It works as well, if not better than gly - but it takes time, and timing to hit them when kill is most beneficial.

I had them pretty bad in a clover plot years ago. I kept mowing the plot 2-3 times per year for about 3 years and that took care of them. When I moved away, they reclaimed it.

^^I agree with NWSG with some red cedar or spruce. For the thistles order some of this and spot spray. It won't kill your grass or trees. I don't think thistles can be controlled by mowing, I've only see them come back thicker the next year.

Agree with Stinger, good product that can be sprayed on grasses with fruit trees plantted in them.

What kind of deer numbers do you have? Deer like to bed in my NWSG particularly if there is a place to catch a breeze and lesson bugs while gathering scent.

Thistle seed stays viable for years (possibly decades). Need to out-compete it or deal with ongoing germination of the existing seed bank until it's exhausted.

If you DO plant any spruce there, I'd plant them on the north and west sides of the field to block the worst of the winter winds and make your field more sheltered. Then whatever you plant in the field might be a little more attractive in cold weather - whether it's NWSG, crabapples, rye, clover - or a combination of those things. If I was doing that field, I'd plant the spruce on north & west edges, then the NWSG next to the spruces ( bedding in the sun ), then a few crabapples in the center surrounded by rye/clover. Having the spruce blocking wind for any deer that wanted to bed in the switch might be a good match. Rye/clover in spring & summer would be good for does & fawns for milk production - and switch to lay in.