Chokecherry, Elderberry, or Wild Plum in NW Wisconsin

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Now that I live on my land in North West Wisconsin, I want to start planting more then apple trees, and food plots. A few years ago I had planted 500 white pine bare root, and not a single one made it through winter. I will admit I planted them in small pockets of 6-8 trees in open areas of my land, so they may not of got great sunlight, soils may have been a little wet for them, I used card stock and stapled it over the tops, but I think most blew off. But anyhow, I have some lowish land that stays wet-muddy in the spring, and after heavy rains. I want to fill it in with a few different shrubs that deer will eat, and also thicken it up a bit.

I am planning on planting Red Osier Dogwood, and Gray Dogwood, but would like to add a 3rd variety this spring as well. What are your opinions about Chokecherry, Elderberry, and Wild Plum to be added in these area? The goal is winter browse. I have plenty of spring, summer, and early fall options, but want more winter browse for the deer.

I also have a bunch of alder growing in the low wetter lands, that I would like to do something with later down the road. Most of it is taller then the deer can reach, but it does supply good cover for them. Any input on what else can be done with the alder swamp area? Many pockets of standing water though this area the majority of the year. If I cut the older stuff will it stump sprout? Or sucker out? Will it grow back fast? If I kill off an area, will anything better grow in this wet area?

Does buttonbush grow up there? It’s deer candy for me and loves wet areas. It also has fantastic appeal for pollinators and ducks love the seeds it produces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highbush cranberry should grow up there and elderberry also, hemlock and balsam where in NW Wisconsin are you located?

Does buttonbush grow up there? It’s deer candy for me and loves wet areas. It also has fantastic appeal for pollinators and ducks love the seeds it produces.

I am showing 2 different ones, zones 6-10, and 4-8. I am in Zone 3. It may grow, but it would just take a below normal winter with less snow and it would probably kill them all.

Highbush cranberry should grow up there and elderberry also, hemlock and balsam where in NW Wisconsin are you located?

I had planted Highbush cranberry before, and it was gone the next summer. More then likely the deer ate it, because I didn’t protect it at all. Sounds like a decent option.

Do deer eat Elderberry? I was considering it, and I read it is deer resistant, but others say deer hammer it.

I am about 20 miles west of Hayward. I will look into the other stuff.

The deer will eat elderberry exactly the same as high bush cranberry in my experience. Neither will get established here without protection for the first 2 years or so. I have tried American Plum and the deer didn’t eat that, but they rubbed the hell out of every one that grew. Considering trying it again and protecting it for 2-3 years until the roots are established, should just sucker then if they rub them.

I don’t have a lot of experience with much for wet areas, I know ROD likes wet areas. Consider going on a nursery site in the area such as Paint Creek or Cold Stream and read about each shrub they offer. Normally they will say if they are shade tolerant or have wet feet.

I make the logging world championships once in while there in Hayward if I’m up there on vacation when it’s going on. I grew up about 50 miles north of Hayward good musky fishing in that area. Apples are going to be a good bet for you up there as it sounds like you know. You might try planting hemlock trees deer will browse them pretty heavily as young trees.

Now that I live on my land in North West Wisconsin, I want to start planting more then apple trees, and food plots. A few years ago I had planted 500 white pine bare root, and not a single one made it through winter. I will admit I planted them in small pockets of 6-8 trees in open areas of my land, so they may not of got great sunlight, soils may have been a little wet for them, I used card stock and stapled it over the tops, but I think most blew off. But anyhow, I have some lowish land that stays wet-muddy in the spring, and after heavy rains. I want to fill it in with a few different shrubs that deer will eat, and also thicken it up a bit.

I am planning on planting Red Osier Dogwood, and Gray Dogwood, but would like to add a 3rd variety this spring as well. What are your opinions about Chokecherry, Elderberry, and Wild Plum to be added in these area? The goal is winter browse. I have plenty of spring, summer, and early fall options, but want more winter browse for the deer.

I also have a bunch of alder growing in the low wetter lands, that I would like to do something with later down the road. Most of it is taller then the deer can reach, but it does supply good cover for them. Any input on what else can be done with the alder swamp area? Many pockets of standing water though this area the majority of the year. If I cut the older stuff will it stump sprout? Or sucker out? Will it grow back fast? If I kill off an area, will anything better grow in this wet area?
I would consider going with red and silky dogwood over grey dogwoods in your wetter areas. All the grey I see seems to like drier spots. I have had success with elderberry cuttings at my place. I didn't fence mine just stuck them all over randomly in tag elders and brush piles. I would suggest cages, but they are spreading good themselves now. The deer will absolutely hammer the leaves and stems. Also the berries too. They are like dogwoods, if you can just get them going a year or two, the deer can eat them to the ground and they will bounce right back. As for the alder. If you cut it back it will stump sprout and regrow fast, by year two after a cutting It will probably be 6 ft tall at least. Deer will not touch it.It is encouraged to cut when mature to promote new growth for cover for deer,grouse and woodcock. Consider it like a mature aspen that doesn't provide much of anything, but when you cut them it then will provide a lot. Wild plum is doing fair up north and doing awesome in se wi. I have about 3 acres of black spruce( not black hills) that grows in water in my marsh. They provide good cover where not much else will grow. Might work in your marsh. I guess they are slow growing thou.

From what I see, wild plum does not grow in wet areas. Moist might be ok.

Look for some spot in the tag alders that are just slightly higher with no flooding. Plant individual, clumps and strings of spruce. I have used white spruce. I let them grow for a few years and then drop the tag alders around them. I usually have to release these spruce from the tags about three times.

A favorite method of mine is to plant two rows of spruce just outside the slightly higher top edge of the tags with scattered spruce in the tags. The interior is great bedding.

Thanks everyone! This will give me enough to work on this spring. But, if anyone has more ideas, keep them coming!

Lot of good suggestions in this thread. I would also agree with substituting silky dogwood for gray if the soil is that wet. Please do yourself a favor, protect what you plant. Better to get a few shrubs to maturity than to try to "outplant" the deer.

Not all the land I want to add shrubs to is low land. It is just an area I am trying to address this year.

Alot of good suggestions already, Streamco Willow, Button Bush and Wetland Rose grow well in my wet areas that don't hold water all year. If it is an area you walk through I wouldn't go with WR, that stuff has shredded many hunting clothes in my day but grows in shaded area so maybe beneficial for you. Button Bush doesn't get very big in my area but the deer love it as browse and probably contributes to its size.

Willows and blackberries