Chicory

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Well a super wet start to the year has me rethinking my foodplot selections. Will chicory amount to much yet this fall if planted now?

I live in 6B and have planted it Sept 1 and had significant results by fall. Of course, next year is when it will really shine. I would never plant chicory alone. I would plant with grains and a mix of annual and perennial clovers. Next year you should have a good stand of perennial clover and chicory.

Well I had a bag of seed given to me, it is red clover, chicory and alfalfa together. I was thinking of doing a tnm trial with it.

Native, any recommendations for how much seed per acre when using chicory, a perennial clover, and winter rye on September 1st? I'll be broadcasting with a Throw N Mow.

Native, any recommendations for how much seed per acre when using chicory, a perennial clover, and winter rye on September 1st? I'll be broadcasting with a Throw N Mow.

Chicory - 3 lbs
Clover - 13 lbs
Grains - 50 lbs

Native Hunter is spot on with his advice. I tend to go a bit heavier on the grain and I prefer WR for T&M especially. I do mow the WR the following spring to release the clover/chicory. If you can't mow in the spring the lighter grain mix is a good choice.

One final note on chicory. Not all chicory is the same. Deer tend to prefer chicory with a lower tannin content. Second, I stopped using chicory when I switched from ladino to Durana clover. Why? Chicory is deep rooted and can handle a drought well. If we get a drought that first summer, ladino goes dormant for a long time and can get infiltrated by a lot of summer weeds. The chicory is a performer during this period. When I switched to Durana which is slow to establish but much more drought tolerant and persistent, a few things happened. It competed well against the chicory once established and the chicory only lasted a few years. Second, even in drought years, it only goes dormant in my area for a couple weeks. So, the benefits I got from chicory declined significantly. It was a cost I could prune without pruning much benefit.

Thanks,

Jack

When i plant chicory and clover i go heavy on the chicory because it does seem that clover will out compete the chicory so by going heavier on chicory it takes a lot longer for the clover to catch and eventually take over. Just guessing but i think about 75% chicory to 25% clover is about right and probably lets the plot go for 5 more years before any over seeding is needed to get the ratio back in check. I take my disc to the clover and chicory plot every year and just lower the disc enough to slightly disturb the ground and the clover , chicory combo thrives this way. After a real light discing there are noticeably less weeds in the plot. This year i'm throwing oats and rye over the top of everything by broadcasting.

X2

I prefer going heavy on the chicory as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk