Check out Abby-Normal

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This is the freakiest looking deer I've ever had pics of. I named him Abby-Normal. Not sure how much growth there could be left at this point in time but if he added some more inches it might be interesting.

Lots of character on the bases.

How old is he?

Sandbur, I now know that this is a new deer I've never had pics of before this year, so I just have to guess at age. I think he is mature (5 or more) just going by his body size and base size. Also, he is very aggressive and is the king pin here right now. The pics above don't do justice to his body size. Look at him below a few days ago next to a 2 year old.

The deer below is his running mate, and he runs this one away from the mineral lick very aggressively.

How old would you say he is, and do you think he may put on some more inches this year?

Kill him......or her! Bad for Gene pool!

We may just do that Mo if he is still around this fall. I get a lot of range shifting right at the end of September, so he might move on out anyway. Last year I lost one nice mature buck then but gained three even better.

His rack reminds me of a deer I killed about 18-20 years ago. Probably the oldest deer I have ever shot. I would need a scanner to post the pictures, or maybe take a picture of a picture. I knew nothing about aging deer at that time.

I fished the rack out of a pile in the basement.

Lots of pearling and a heavy but short tined rack but no crab claw like your buck.IMG_8764.JPG

Interesting comparison. I also shot a deer probably 30 years ago that I now know was ancient and on his way down with a rack very similar to yours. Like you said - at that time I really didn't understand all of that, but it is apparent now.

It doesn't look like this one is going anywhere right now, so I should get more pics and post them. When I first started getting pics of him he was coming in from the neighbors, but recently he has started bedding close to the food plot.

Interesting comparison. I also shot a deer probably 30 years ago that I now know was ancient and on his way down with a rack very similar to yours. Like you said - at that time I really didn't understand all of that, but it is apparent now.

It doesn't look like this one is going anywhere right now, so I should get more pics and post them. When I first started getting pics of him he was coming in from the neighbors, but recently he has started bedding close to the food plot.

do you have a picture of his rack?

do you have a picture of his rack?

I just went to the basement and looked for it. It's at one of two places. It's either at my hunting cabin on a rope with another rack that I use for rattling, or it is one of the racks I gave to a friend to make knife handles out of. I will be at the cabin in two weeks and look. I think mine had only 7 points where yours has 8, but down at the bases they looked almost identical. If it is one of the racks at the cabin, I will take an I-phone pics and post it.

Sandbur, I was wrong. I found the rack in the basement. Here are some pics. Several seasoned deer hunters said it was the biggest bodied deer they ever saw.

I'll steal your thread with the story of my buck... sorry

We had hunted all week at my cabin, (before it got burned down), and I had forgotten the air compressor to drain the water lines on the cabin. I drove home to pick up the air compressor and decided to hunt for the morning.

A big track had crossed our driveway and ran into our 40 acre woods.

The leaves were crunchy to walk on and I wanted to get to a stand in the middle of the woods. I took a long stick and dug at the leaves like a squirrel looking for acorns. A long slow process with lots of two steps, stopping, scratching at the leaves, pause again. I passed a fresh rub with some bark shreds on a small snow bank and fresh tracks.

I sat on the stand for 1/2 hour and he came back by the rub.

Again, sorry to steal your thread.

I hope you get that old buck in your picture.

Thanks Sandbur. You aren't stealing anything, and I always like to hear stories about harvesting deer - especially old ones like that.

If he grows more tine length up there you could call him Browning. Looks like a start to the emblem
Browning02.gif

LOL, I knew something looked familiar.....