Cereal Rye n Green Cover Summer Blend 2024

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
Rain rain rain has kept me from planting my Green Cover Summer cover at the optimum time ..the rye is already at the browning stage ..the seed past the dough stage ..
I will say that the "thatch" cover that was produced was still very impressive after planting and then crimping ..so I guess we shall see how things .....
1717251584118.jpeg1717251547043.jpeg1717251491233.jpeg1717251429043.jpeg

Rain rain rain has kept me from planting my Green Cover Summer cover at the optimum time ..the rye is already at the browning stage ..the seed past the dough stage ..
I will say that the "thatch" cover that was produced was still very impressive after planting and then crimping ..so I guess we shall see how things .....

Curious what you mean by "optimum time"?

Well MY definition( being in zone 6a with gumbo n clay soil) is to get into the field to drill as the rye seed head is in the dough stage where when an individual rye seed is squeezed it pulps out ...that timing also has the plant still green (green mass is better shade/thatch than dried) and is laid over as green manure so to speak and then crimping stops the plant fluids from continuing to "finish" the seed head
This timing gains two primary objectives ..two more weeks of effective green thatch covering covering new seed bed and stops the self seeding effects of fully headed rye which will be way heavy a dose of rye since it was planted overly thick for thatch not expecting it to contribute to the "seedbank"

Bear

Their thought is that waiting too late produces viable rye seed you may not want.

Here in south that doesn’t matter at all. Rye won’t grow in the summer here. So I don’t worry about that “ideal stage” at all.

I’m gonna crimp and drill my fields this week. My grain is as brown and crunchy as can be. I’ll post some pics.

Last edited:
I’m still standing by myself for my spring planting, too damn wet at my southern MI farm. Got 5.25” rain over the 14 days ended yesterday on ground that was already damp. May give it a shot Wednesday. Custom Greencover mix(13 seeds) plus a few leftovers. Please, no rain until then! 🙏