Cast iron water hand pump?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
ll/waterIs there any one brand that i should be looking at for a hand pump? The property I bought has a small water well type thing that I want to put a handpump in so I can use it to water my fruit trees. I see a couple out there for $50-60, will those be fine? Should I build a roof over it?

Do you have an 1 1/4 inch pipe going into the ground?Do you know if on a sand point?You will get a workout pumping much water.If it doesnt have anything on top I would take a string and tie a nut or something and drop down it till you hit bottom and then pull out so you can see how much water you have.if no real deep you can use a 12v pump that sucks using a garden hose and puts out using another garden hose.

I've got a small "pitcher pump" I put on my 1 1/4" well pipe each fall.....so we could draw water in the winter if needed. In the summer I have a 120 volt pump that takes care of my sprayer and washing needs. We dont drink the water.....but I bet it would test out ok. Never tested the well.

Takes allot of pumping to pump a pail of water. I got a "spare" electric water pump for shallow wells. I got it from the "tear down" home that was were we built a new one.....and had a well drilled here at the lake. If you got electric.....those are the only way to go.

It’s not deep, maybe 5’. Just looking to draw the water up to fill some five gallon jugs to water my fruit trees. what kind of hand pump do you have?

It’s not deep, maybe 5’. Just looking to draw the water up to fill some five gallon jugs to water my fruit trees. what kind of hand pump do you have?
I don't know the brand. I bought it at Mill's FF (I think). Lots of pumping t fill a pail of water. I never considered one of those 12 volt RV Pumps (said above). I bet they would work pretty slick. Also I've seen some drill driven pumps that may work well. Probably a better choice than my pitcher pump.

interesting. I have seen the drill driven ones too. They are very cheap as well....

We pounded 1/14 pipe using a rented jack hammer to pound about 25 feet into the ground. Worked slick. 1/2 day project. I have 110 volt electric.....so I put on a small Red Lion Pump Assembly that I bought from Mills Fleet / Farm. The one I bought has an expansion tank......and I'm not sure it's needed. I take it off each winter and put on the pitcher pump to cap the well and for occasional water if needed over winter (never use it).

I was just looking at the Red Lion pumps on Amazon. If I did not have one....I would buy this along with the brass check valve and a gauge as shown. (not sure if you have power?)

We pounded 1/14 pipe using a rented jack hammer to pound about 25 feet into the ground. Worked slick. 1/2 day project. I have 110 volt electric.....so I put on a small Red Lion Pump Assembly that I bought from Mills Fleet / Farm. The one I bought has an expansion tank......and I'm not sure it's needed. I take it off each winter and put on the pitcher pump to cap the well and for occasional water if needed over winter (never use it).

I was just looking at the Red Lion pumps on Amazon. If I did not have one....I would buy this along with the brass check valve and a gauge as shown. (not sure if you have power?)