All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carcass ??

chucker66

5 year old buck +
Do any of you throw your deer carcass back on your land to attract coyotes for hunting? I have a few of them on camera and want to shoot them. My only concern is attracting more coyotes on my land once I get a few of the ones there. Thoughts?

We put the carcasses out in a field 150 yards from our front window. They are a great bird feeder (eagles, hawks, crows) and we get occasional daytime coyote sightings. We will be hunting coyotes near them this weekend with calls.

I put all the guts and left over bones, heads etc on an area of my land I refer to as the "graveyard". I believe in using all the parts of the harvested deer. By throwing out these parts I provide a food source for bald eagles, hawks, other suet eaters and of course coyotes. I just make sure that there are not left over bones that might puncture my Kubota tires before I mow this area for the first time.

I'd make sure it was legal to hunt coyotes over first. We asked 10-15 years ago and it was frowned upon. We were going to pick up fresh road kill and stake it down in the field to " bait" coyotes.