All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I Spray Gly Over Broadcast Seed?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Going to plant some Japanese Millet. Would really like to spread seed then spray gly so I can run over the seed while spraying. Will gly affect the seed?

As long the seed hasn't germinated, you should be fine.

Its my main method of planting. Spread seed, lay weeds over with my riding mower while spraying roundup with a pull behind sprayer. Lays down a nice thatch layer on top of your seed to prevent birds from eating it and doesn’t stir up the seed bed so you get fewer weeds. Then spray your jap millet with 2-4,d later on which will take care of most of the nasty broadleaves.

17d5da3d16c9598759561e710fdd2d10.jpg

738593886532b0b0ffe4d6c1a6327531.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all responses

Gly is not soil active

Unless seeds have germinated and plants are actually growing, you will be fine

bill

I have my ranger set up to seed and spray at the same time. Worked like a charm

This is a yes and no answer….yes, you can do as you plan. However, there is a possibility that it could affect germination….yes, gly only affects green and growing plants. But…(there’s always a but in life…) some research I’ve been finding (especially on the small seeds) that gly sprayed directly on the seed likely reduces the germination…now, what I have seen is not totally conclusive, and not sure if it is the gly, the surfactant or the additives that are causing the issue because some results between RU and generic gly vary some. The premise is that the spray on the seed is absorbed by the coating, when the seed sprouts, the gly on the coating gets the new growth. If you have thatch over your seed or get the seed in the dirt than no issues. It’s the ones on top of the ground they are seeing the issues. Also, larger seeds are not impacted as much as they have more stored energy to start and can power thru the setback starting off in life.
To answer your question…yes, you can do as you plan. However, you take a possible risk of reduced germination of any seed that gets sprayed directly with gly.

If it’s just seed on bare ground there isn’t a need to spray. Not sure why we are over complicating things. If there is any amount of thatch at all the gly isn’t even going to contact the seed.

If it’s just seed on bare ground there isn’t a need to spray. Not sure why we are over complicating things. If there is any amount of thatch at all the gly isn’t even going to contact the seed.

I have become significantly more judicious with my use of herbicides over the years. I'm far enough south that summer weeds can be an issue. I've largely solved that by going to a mix of buckwheat and sunn hemp which come up fast and out compete many weeds. Depending on conditions, sometimes I spray in the spring. In the fall, weeds are much less of an issue with my cool season crops. The summer weeds are at the end of their cycle and conditions favor my crops. I've become much more weed tolerant as many weeds are as nutritious and attractive as fall crops. As long as a particular weed or two with little wildlife value does not dominate a field, I pretty much plant and let nature take its course. I've found it to be less work, less cost, and just as effective for deer.

This is the area I sprayed and seeded.

8B9AA991-117A-4C77-B012-F1ECC2660B08.png