Calling Hoosier deer hunters!!!

j-bird

Indiana DNR and Indiana Whitetailed Deer Herd Mangement group are kicking off a pilot program called County Deer Advisory Councils. This is very similar to what Wisconsin does in an effort to get stakeholder input.....including hunters, into managing the deer numbers in the various counties across the state. The IDNR is supporting starting these as a pilot program in Wabash, Howard, Huntington and Hamilton counties. Anyone interested in being a part of this or involved either as a concerned citizen or more are being invited to attend the informational meetings. For more information check out the IWDHM facebook page or e-mail iwdhmgroup@yahoo.com

Wabash - 2/23 @ 6pm Bass & Bucks Inc. 4890 West Millcreek Pike, Wabash, IN
Howard - 3/4 @ 9am Rogers Pavilion Highland Park, 902 West Deffenbaugh Street, Kokomo, IN
Huntington - 3/25 @ 9am Andrews Lions Club 365 Leedy Lane, Andrews, IN
Hamilton - 4/22 @10am Koteewi Archery Range 11909 Koteewi Drive, Nobelsville, IN

FWIW, I am pretty happy with the first couple years of my county's CDAC in WI. Just like anything else I'm sure some have different opinions. Very important to get the right people on your councils and the right people to watch them and attend meetings/submit comments.

I'm just thrilled at this point that we (hunters) even have the opportunity to be part of the process. It may or may not work and obviously the people involved have a big influence on it as well and the DNR has to be willing to listen as well. It's a step in the right direction......

If/when they set one of these up in my county I hope to be very involved.

I hope it turns out to be a good thing (really dont know either way). Just heard about it last night

Heard they want to raise hunting and fishing licenses again. Not real happy about that. Wouldn't mind if you could see a direct correlation to a better DNR and resources instead of the money going to indy then the DNR fighting for a budget (as i understand it happens anyway)

That's the one thing that really bugs me - hunting seems to get worse yet the cost goes up.......sounds like the racket I get at work with my health insurance.....costs me more, covers less!!!!