Buying 2 Dogs

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
Anyone here own multiple dogs? We had our last dog put down earlier this month. My wife didn't take long in finding a puppy to buy. I weighed the pros and cons and cleared it, realizing it was a good "compromise" dog for our different tastes. It's a female, smooth coat collie. It's not cheap, more than a rescue dog. A litter brother of hers just became available, and we're considering what it would be like to get them both. I hate wasting money. But part of me does think it'd be nice for the two dogs to grow up together. Just curious if anyone has tried house training two at a time. Is it much worse than one? Are other aspects of it worse? Better? Our house is fairly small for our family of 6 (4 kids aged 4-9) and we have a fenced in yard. Puppies will be ready for pickup the day after Easter. Anyone able to talk me off the ledge?

Anyone here own multiple dogs? We had our last dog put down earlier this month. My wife didn't take long in finding a puppy to buy. I weighed the pros and cons and cleared it, realizing it was a good "compromise" dog for our different tastes. It's a female, smooth coat collie. It's not cheap, more than a rescue dog. A litter brother of hers just became available, and we're considering what it would be like to get them both. I hate wasting money. But part of me does think it'd be nice for the two dogs to grow up together. Just curious if anyone has tried house training two at a time. Is it much worse than one? Are other aspects of it worse? Better? Our house is fairly small for our family of 6 (4 kids aged 4-9) and we have a fenced in yard. Puppies will be ready for pickup the day after Easter. Anyone able to talk me off the ledge?

My wife and I bought 2 lab puppies 3 years ago...they are siblings, one male and one female. Everything we read said "don't buy 2 puppies at once." Our vet said the same..."they'll grow more attached to each other than to you" was the logic. For us, that was exactly what we were looking for. We are both working parents, we are very active and on the move, and there are times when we are not home for long periods.

Having our labs bond to each other has been an absolute blessing. During those days when we are all at work they have each other for comfort and to play. When we leave the house for work in the morning there is no anxiety and worry. They don't really even seem to notice. They seek each other out to play around the yard even when we are home. On our longs walks and adventures into the backcountry they always stick with each other.

It's a lot of work when they are puppies, but really not that much more. And it's not like they haven't bonded with us. They are very close to us and never leave our side. Having each other just seems to calm them down and give them and independence that we were seeking. Independent, but at the same time 100% loyal to us...but that's also the lab in them. Hard to say for sure how other breeds will grow and behave.

Nope, not going to talk you off the ledge. Go for it!

spoiled.jpeg

Two is twice the hair twice the poop to pick up twice the vet bills twice everything.

I couldn’t imagine not having a dog around, two in the house is definitely busier.
Years ago when one of our labs got older we decided to get a replacement puppy before the older one couldn’t hunt. The two in the house overlapped a few years, I can’t say that we would do that again.
We have had multiple dogs before with hunting dogs in kennels outside and that wasn’t ever an issue.

I have 3 dogs, one that will be 13 this year, one that will be 12 this year, and one that will be 10 this year. They grew up best friends, after initial puppy stage. The oldest dog wasnt a fan of young puppy energy. The down fall, is having 3 old dogs in their senior years at one time. The vet bills, and meds cost me more then a new truck payment would. But they are my best friends, they watch out for each other, and are great company for each other when I am not home. 2 dogs is better then 1, not sure though if 3 dogs is better then 2. As for 2 the same age, and litter mates, just make sure to get them fixed.

Dogs are like kids... Having multiple at the same age is going to be more than a handful. Having one that is rather self sufficient and then another is far easier. The older will mentor the younger (in both good and bad ways). We only have "mutts" so it's not been a money thing. They do find ways to entertain each other...but if the age gap is too great the younger just pesters the older one. I have a younger one (2) and 2 older ones (10+). The younger one still wants to run and rough-house and the like, while the older two want to stay home and lay on the couch. We have had a few "dust-ups" over who it the boss in the dog pecking order....but they all know who is THE BOSS!

We have 2 dogs 30 lbs and 100lbs that are 6 months apart. They play really well together. The big one lets the little one win enough so he keeps playing. I've had just one dog before but I prefer at least two. If we have to board them they at least have each other. I wish I could have more dogs and that cats were never invented :emoji_wink:

Not brother and sister but aunt and nephew 6 years apart. I like having two dogs because they keep each other entertained and at least one is always at my feet. If you are okay having two then two at the same time is great.
d8aa5a52d7e347d440716af930638461.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have 4. A min pin, mountain cur and 2 labs(mother and daughter) They range from 3-10yrs. I’d think once they’re house broken it will be easy street.

We have two boxer mixes that are sisters out of the same litter. I was also told not to do it. They're definitely bonded to one another but have two distinct personalities. We call one the instigator and the other the muscle. They'll be 10 this July and they still feed off each other's energy. Still bark at everyone that walks or drives by.
Dogs.jpg

We do doggysit for our oldest son when his wife and he vacation, a two year old female GSP.
And we do the same for daughter and her husband their pup is an eleven year old male boxer.
Darcy likes having them over for about the first fifteen minutes then she gets all put out and jealous to a fault, although the visiting dog always seems to enjoy the stay immensely.
After a week it’s nice to just have one in the house again!

Not brother and sister but aunt and nephew 6 years apart. I like having two dogs because they keep each other entertained and at least one is always at my feet. If you are okay having two then two at the same time is great.
d8aa5a52d7e347d440716af930638461.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I'm awfully jealous of your griffs!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Love all the dog pics and stories you shared. Darcy got left out but we all know her pretty well! Natty, your labs are gorgeous. I recall seeing them in pics of yours before. They sure found a good spot to lay. Chummer, the griffs look real distinguished and at home there with you in your snuggie. Pat, your boxers look awesome and have very similar coats to two of our old dogs, mutts Mack and Jake, who I'll share a pic of as well. They were put to sleep 4 and 2 years ago. Gone but not forgotten. I'll throw up a pic of our Sophie who we said goodbye too in early March. She was my wife's dog before we met, and would've turned 15 this summer. Though not always a soft mouth, she had a soft heart. My son gave her a tribute.

I think we're going to pass on the brother pup at this time. Not many downfalls of just getting the one, but we can see a few potential problems with two at this time, just for our own situation. I think she's sad, but she'll get over it. We'll have our hands full as it is, and then in a year or so we can look at getting a companion for the dog. I do feel the pros of two dogs outweigh the cons....the puppy thing just stressed me out a little. This breeder in downstate IL Mattoon has two remaining smooth coat males if anyone is looking. You don't see many smooth coat collies. My wife did her homework and found a good breeder. I've always been partial to rescuing, but I've learned that it doesn't exactly feel like rescuing when the highly desirable dogs at shelters are almost always gone before their pics hit the website. The seniors, pits, and emotional baggage dogs are pretty much what need to be rescued. I'm not taking any chances with the kids the ages they are. Thanks again everyone.

Screenshot_20210326-203051_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210326-203116_Gallery.jpg

I guess this is the 1 we have coming. Supposed to be good with young children. Was told she will probably try to herd them and not to let her. Although that doesn't sound half bad.

Screenshot_20210324-134427_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210324-134413_Gallery.jpg

I guess this is the 1 we have coming. Supposed to be good with young children. Was told she will probably try to herd them and not to let her. Although that doesn't sound half bad.

View attachment 34022View attachment 34023

What a cute little girl! Love her coloring, collies are very good family dogs our next door neighbors had one when I was a kid.
Very smart dogs too.

View attachment 34022View attachment 34023

Dang, she is cute! She's going to have the best life with you and your family.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Love all the dog pics and stories you shared. Darcy got left out but we all know her pretty well! Natty, your labs are gorgeous. I recall seeing them in pics of yours before. They sure found a good spot to lay. Chummer, the griffs look real distinguished and at home there with you in your snuggie. Pat, your boxers look awesome and have very similar coats to two of our old dogs, mutts Mack and Jake, who I'll share a pic of as well. They were put to sleep 4 and 2 years ago. Gone but not forgotten. I'll throw up a pic of our Sophie who we said goodbye too in early March. She was my wife's dog before we met, and would've turned 15 this summer. Though not always a soft mouth, she had a soft heart. My son gave her a tribute.

I think we're going to pass on the brother pup at this time. Not many downfalls of just getting the one, but we can see a few potential problems with two at this time, just for our own situation. I think she's sad, but she'll get over it. We'll have our hands full as it is, and then in a year or so we can look at getting a companion for the dog. I do feel the pros of two dogs outweigh the cons....the puppy thing just stressed me out a little. This breeder in downstate IL Mattoon has two remaining smooth coat males if anyone is looking. You don't see many smooth coat collies. My wife did her homework and found a good breeder. I've always been partial to rescuing, but I've learned that it doesn't exactly feel like rescuing when the highly desirable dogs at shelters are almost always gone before their pics hit the website. The seniors, pits, and emotional baggage dogs are pretty much what need to be rescued. I'm not taking any chances with the kids the ages they are. Thanks again everyone.

View attachment 34020View attachment 34021
I think you're on the right track waiting on the second dog. I've had two the same age and then 2 separated by a couple years. I found having to train two puppies at the same time to be more than twice the work of training just one. Getting a second puppy a few years later the next time made training a bit easier because the older one seemed to show him what to do somewhat. They bonded with me and each other just as well as the ones that were the same age.

Living in the country, my dogs have always been outdoor dogs. 2 dogs unsupervised outside are pretty much 100 percent guaranteed to start running and causing problems with the neighbors and running the woods.

View attachment 34020View attachment 34021
Wow, they are similar coloring. We got ours from friends of the family. The wife grew up on a farm and always had baby animals around so she wanted her kids to experience that. They ended up having 13 pups. Father was a pure bred boxer. Mom was half bulldog and half something else. She looked like a long haired lab. Had a range of colors from white with brown spots to all tan. We got the only brindle. Of course she ended up being 95 lbs of pure muscle and scared to death of everything. haha

Chummer what breed are your dogs?