Burning Before Planting Clover?

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
So I have my Brassica plot planted and my next one is going to be a clover/alfalfa mix. I am going to be planting no till, but my question is would burning be beneficial? I wasn't planning on it but I have been watching Bill Winkes poor man plot videos and he really seems to like to burn. If it doesn't make much difference I would just prefer to skip.

Also when would be the ideal time to plant clover, would in the next couple weeks be ok or would it be better to wait?

Have never had a clover plot with rye as a cover fail when planted late august early sept in central MN. Attraction this fall and clover next few years.

Only experience with fire was in Namibia when you could hear thunder. PH would drive down the road throwing out match after match hoping lightning would start a good burn.

My father in law used to farm 100 acres of corn back in the day and he would burn all the corn litter in his fields. Other farmers in the area told him he was an idiot because he would lose all his organic matter and promote thistle growth(back in cultivating days). To this day he tells stories how the farmers just shook their head at him in disgust. I wouldn't do it but I have nothing to base it on.

The amount of organic material you would loose for burning what ever is in the field before you plant clover is MINISCULE. Don't worry about. However the clover will actually take hold a little better with a"little" DEAD ground trash. It will help hold moisture. This is how I have planted clover for years. I never disturb the soil on my wood plots and have had excellent results. I also never plant anything with clover other than chicory. You should be planting now for the next 2 weeks. I planted 75% of mine last week and will plant the rest next week.

I would only burn if the "trash" is so bad yo think it will interfere with the proper operation of the equipment. Otherwise don't bother. I agree that planting in the late summer is you best time. You don't want your seed to germinate and then get hit by a dry spell and kill it. I like to plant my perennials in late Aug as the fall tends to bring more reliable rain fall, but this year has been quite a different story for me. I may not have dry ground until Aug if things don't change!

That makes sense to maybe wait till later in august so that it has less chance to dry up. That is what I will aim for, thanks.