Buckwheat and crimson clover?

ravot22

Yearling... With promise
Can I mix the two as a spring cover crop?
Or will the Buckwheat squeeze out the clover?

Is there a reason you want to plant them together?
I've never heard of mixing these two. Not that there is any thing wrong with it. Cover crop guys mix all kind of things together. You just have to adjust the seeding rates so one doesn't take over the other.

What's the long term goal for the plot?

I usually plant buckwheat for the organic properties during summer.

I got a rude surprise with my last soil test. The phosphate was very high.

So I'm trying to plant some legumes to assist with the high levels of phosphate.

Is there a reason you want to plant them together?
I've never heard of mixing these two. Not that there is any thing wrong with it. Cover crop guys mix all kind of things together. You just have to adjust the seeding rates so one doesn't take over the other.

What's the long term goal for the plot?[/QUOTE

Last edited:
I plant the two together last year and it worked great.

I do this on about 35 acres at work and it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've planted both of them but never together, it sounds like a good soil builder and a good summer plot.

Interested in this as well. I'm thinking about giving it a try on one of my plots this year. BW does well on my poor soil and the deer love it. Don't know much about clover but was thinking it might get me further in the fall and help my soil.

You can, but you need to keep the buckwheat pretty low in any mix or it will smother the rest. If you get the proportions right it can work well. It all depends on your purpose.

Thanks,

Jack