Buck Shaming

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
The Lead article of QDMA weekly letter Really?!?!?

The pussification of deer hunting is now complete

"Buck Shaming" produced some of my fondest memories of deer camp growing up

I feel so ashamed now

bill

Lol...

you should only be ashamed if you have something to be ashamed of...

Kinda like banging chicks...

Growing up in Pennsylvania deer camp it was a shame if you didn’t have your spike buck in the first day.
because the odds of killing a buck after that significantly reduced.

haven’t seen that article yet.

I am no longer a member of QDMA but wanted to read the article you mention but can't find it on their site. Can you post a link so we can all read it good sir?

Growing up in Pennsylvania deer camp it was a shame if you didn’t have your spike buck in the first day.
because the odds of killing a buck after that significantly reduced.

haven’t seen that article yet.

When I went to deer camp in potter county PA growing up, a fork-horn was a trophy. Spotlighting before the season, it was not uncommon to see 100 deer in a field but it was rare to see one with a rack. There was no such thing as bedding and feeding. You just found a tree to lean against in the snow and waited for someone in the blaze orange army to scare one past. If you wanted venison, you had to apply for a doe license in October and send in your check. You could only apply in one county. They were issued by lottery and they kept your money even if you did not get drawn. But they would let you reapply in some other county where all the licenses allocated to it were not taken.

When Gary Alt finally came in (well after I left the state) and tried to drag them into the 20th century of deer management, he got death threats!

One the upside, you could walk into your county seat office and pickup a concealed carry, no questions asked, for $5 that was good everywhere in the state except Allegheny and Bucks counties!

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for the link Jack.
I’m a big proponent of letting new hunters shoot anything and shooting fork horns if that’s all you have in the neighborhood.

Having said that I used to have a few guests to my farm in Missouri and explained exactly what I expected them to shoot and “not” shoot. With pictures provided.

I guess I shamed them because it’s a shame they aren’t coming back. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Many years ago when I first started deer hunting in northern Wisconsin, first year I shot a nice fat doe. Got back to camp and all I heard from everyone was "meat hunter", "your killing the heard, by shooting a baldy", etc.

Following year I shot a fork horn buck and I was treated like a hero, folks even bought me shots in the bar.

I still talk to those guys, they still claim they don't know why there are no bucks up there ...

Thanks for the link Jack.
I’m a big proponent of letting new hunters shoot anything and shooting fork horns if that’s all you have in the neighborhood.

Having said that I used to have a few guests to my farm in Missouri and explained exactly what I expected them to shoot and “not” shoot. With pictures provided.

I guess I shamed them because it’s a shame they aren’t coming back. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you pay the mortgage and taxes ... you make the rules. If they don't come back, it's cause they didn't respect you :emoji_wink:

What about the "shaming" when you miss a buck?

Far more severe at my camp

You get your shirt tail cut and hung on a wall and hear about that s*** every season........

bill

I have wanted for years to make up a t shirt for the guy in the lub that shots the smallest buck of the year and hand it out as an award at the annual venison dinner, nice bright pink with a picture of bambi on it.

In all honesty, I don't think I have ever been embarrassed about a deer I shot. And I don't think it would be possible for me to become embarrassed about a deer I killed if the shot was good.

In all honesty, I don't think I have ever been embarrassed about a deer I shot. And I don't think it would be possible for me to become embarrassed about a deer I killed if the shot was good.

I would generally agree. But if you are hunting on someone elses land and they have rules, youre obligated to follow those rules!

Last we had a big MEGA MEGA 3 yr old on our farm. We (the property owner and those of us that mainly hunt it) decided this deer had to get the pass just for the anticipation of what he could become. Well a bunch of us passed him including some pretty young hunters, and then gun season one of the guys from the cities came out and pounded him. He had specifically been told not to and watched videos of the buck the night before. The land owner said to make sure you id your target well so there are no "whoopsies". It was pretty awkward when the owner came back and that deer was on the meat pole. Embarrassed... I hope he was at least that. He took something from that deer and all of us who worked hard on that farm.

I understand and agree that every deer is a trophy... but sometimes its not your call. When you are a guest.

I would generally agree. But if you are hunting on someone elses land and they have rules, youre obligated to follow those rules!

Last we had a big MEGA MEGA 3 yr old on our farm. We (the property owner and those of us that mainly hunt it) decided this deer had to get the pass just for the anticipation of what he could become. Well a bunch of us passed him including some pretty young hunters, and then gun season one of the guys from the cities came out and pounded him. He had specifically been told not to and watched videos of the buck the night before. The land owner said to make sure you id your target well so there are no "whoopsies". It was pretty awkward when the owner came back and that deer was on the meat pole. Embarrassed... I hope he was at least that. He took something from that deer and all of us who worked hard on that farm.

I understand and agree that every deer is a trophy... but sometimes its not your call. When you are a guest.

That's why I said "if the shot was good". Shooting the wrong deer is not a good shot in my book.

Come to think of it, one of the deer I'm most proud of was a fork i shot from a tree stand without a rest from 105 yards through the woods with a slug. I threaded the needle and landed a great shot on him.

That is not a forky. That is a slammer 6 at my camp. You can never convince the old timers. If my dad has two yearlings, a spike and a six in front of him he shoots the six every time and thinks that is a better deer that the spike. I have tried for 10 years to get him to shoot the spike but he won’t. It’s a moot point now because in his 70’s he shots the first deer he sees and is done for the season.

That is not a forky. That is a slammer 6 at my camp. You can never convince the old timers. If my dad has two yearlings, a spike and a six in front of him he shoots the six every time and thinks that is a better deer that the spike. I have tried for 10 years to get him to shoot the spike but he won’t. It’s a moot point now because in his 70’s he shots the first deer he sees and is done for the season.

So what would the difference be in shooting a 6 point yearling and a spike yearling? Either way, you are removing a yearling male. Rack size at that age is not a predictor of future potential.

I forgot it had brow tines. I guess it is technically a 6pt. In any case, it died quickly and tasted great. And he wasn't a small deer. I'm 6'2" and about 230lbs in that photo.

He spun and launched himself into a huge beech tree and busted that antler off. At that time, it was the longest shot I ever took on a deer, and it was a great shot, so I was well proud of it. I kept the antlers to make a pair of knives or bottle openers.

The key to growing older deer here is not just to shoot older deer but just to tag the one you shot and be done shooting bucks. One and done!