Buck bedding sites

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
As researched by the MSU deer lab. Always fascinating stuff. It confirms what I’ve felt in that bucks don’t bed in a certain spot routinely. It’s just not supported by science. You see guys like Dan infalt and others claim to know right where a buck is bedding and you just need the right conditions…the reality of it is sure he MAY bed there but statistically he’s probably not.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...otdqQciEwKK3daZhnTVngpqksl&id=100080711465801

There are some consitent spots in the middle. But what jumps out at me is that they are always the same spot "Type". And what I've noticed over the years at my place. Always on the edge never deep in the timber. SE site looks like it's in the timber but there seems to be a small field and what looks to be woods road there. Something tells me if you went to those locations the majority of them would be somewhat open and 2 hops from cover or some type of elevation change.

I really like that picture/study and what it shows us. #1 for me is you better be darn careful getting to your stand and we get busted far more then we know.

I really like that picture/study and what it shows us. #1 for me is you better be darn careful getting to your stand and we get busted far more then we know.
I agree with both points. I routinely find beds, not in the thick stuff, but in places where they can use topography. That goes to your second point, these deer can see us long before we have a prayer of getting to our stand. I have become Obsessed with exit and entrance routes and frankly stand locations. There are large chunks in my land that I know I just cannot hunt.

Last edited:
Does it say what kind of property that is?

Does it say what kind of property that is?

Study Area
Conditions of the land and deer population greatly impact food and cover, so we need to describe the location of our work. All landowners within our 50,000-acre study area shared the goal of producing older bucks for recreational harvest, with an adult sex ratio of 1 buck to 1–2 does. Within our study area, hunter harvest was the leading cause of mortality in adult bucks, but other causes included vehicle collision, epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD), and poaching. The annual survival rate ranged from 60 to 75 percent. White-tailed deer are flexible in their habitat requirements and can respond rapidly to environmental changes, which allows them not just to survive but thrive in a variety of landscapes. Deer thrive throughout our study area of private land holdings along the Big Black River in Mississippi (Figure 1). Some call it a “deer factory” because the area produces lots of deer and big deer. Our study area included a diversity of vegetation types common in the southeastern United States. Land cover was dominated by two major groups, forest and agriculture, with forest cover being the most abundant. Natural vegetation types were upland deciduous forests, pine plantations, herbaceous vegetation (fields), and bottomland deciduous forests. Bottomland deciduous forests border the Big Black River and cover about 38 percent of the area. Food supplies are important to deer, and the amount of available forage varies among the vegetation types. There was not a lot of forage available in the upland deciduous forests. Managed pine plantations were commercial loblolly pine stands, in which canopy closure limits forage supply during much of the stand rotation. Forages were abundant in herbaceous areas during spring and summer, but by hunting season, a lot of the forage was dead or of very low quality. The bottomland deciduous forests were mostly mature hard-woods with a good concentration of oaks; but their closed canopy limited forage growth on the ground, so their main food attraction was acorns. Commercial agriculture fields were the second most common vegetation type and covered about 30 percent of the study area, with crops including corn, cotton, and soybeans. All agriculture fields were harvested by the start of hunting season, so they were essentially barren fields with very little, if any, available forage or cover during fall. Landowners planted food plots on about 1,000 acres (2 percent of the area) to supplement natural forage during winter or summer. Summer food plots were planted with high-quality soybeans or deervetch. Deervetch lasted until the first frost in December, so, in addition to a lot of high-quality forage, the height of the deervetch vegetation pro-vided hiding cover during hunting season. Winter food plots consisted of oats and clover but did not reach a height that supplied cover during the hunting season (Figure 2). Some landowners also used gravity and/or spin feeders. Spin feeders contained corn, while gravity feeders provided full-ration pellets.

Last edited:
. You see guys like Dan infalt and others claim to know right where a buck is bedding and you just need the right conditions…the reality of it is sure he MAY bed there but statistically he’s probably not.

Completely agree. I always got a kick out of the "How to Make a Buck Bed" Youtubers...always with the nicely prepared log on the ground underneath the overhanging tree branch...all the leaves nicely raked away. All that was missing was an alarm clock and a glass of warm milk.

Thanks for that link. Great information.

I think all of these radio collared studies are fascinating.

I think part of the reason why Dan Infalt and others that focus on buck bedding areas have so much success is because of the habitat that they are typically hunting. Dan hunts almost exclusively in swamp country that is heavily pressured. I'm sure if there was a radio collar study done in the same areas there would be a lot fewer beds because there are just fewer places where they are not pressured by humans or other predators.

I think all of these radio collared studies are fascinating.

I think part of the reason why Dan Infalt and others that focus on buck bedding areas have so much success is because of the habitat that they are typically hunting. Dan hunts almost exclusively in swamp country that is heavily pressured. I'm sure if there was a radio collar study done in the same areas there would be a lot fewer beds because there are just fewer places where they are not pressured by humans or other predators.
And I think he gets to go a lot. That to is the greatest predictor of success…seat time. Eventually one will screw up and if you are pushing a narrative it can be used as a confirmation bias even if it was random chance.

There are two kinds of thick cover:

1. The kind you run through and get your eyes poked out.
2. The kind you run through like lightning, are hidden from your enemies and not lose your eyes while doing it. (i.e. tall grasses)

I find many, many beds in #2.

Also, bedding preferences change with seasons. What is desirable in November may or may not be desirable in July....

There are two kinds of thick cover:

1. The kind you run through and get your eyes poked out.
2. The kind you run through like lightning, are hidden from your enemies and not lose your eyes while doing it. (i.e. tall grasses)

I find many, many beds in #2.

Also, bedding preferences change with seasons. What is desirable in November may or may not be desirable in July....
This.

I’ve been totally underwhelmed by the thick briar filled cover. They might hide there during heavy pressure but that is not where big bucks bed. I find they bed most in thin shrubby vegetation on a hill with closed overstory at my place.

I may be taking him wrong, but I don't take it that Dan Infalt thinks the bedding he finds is the only one a buck is using. I take it as he believes that bedding is one of the spots a buck may bed, and he finds a good setup to hunt that bedding area when a buck might be there. I don't believe he thinks a buck is bedding there every day. To me, the study from MSU and what he finds are the same thing. He just put out a video where he went to a swamp and found multiple bedding sites used by bucks. The MSU guys had a video a while back where they went to the actual beds where they had gps points for bucks bedding and videoed how they looked.

I may be taking him wrong, but I don't take it that Dan Infalt thinks the bedding he finds is the only one a buck is using. I take it as he believes that bedding is one of the spots a buck may bed, and he finds a good setup to hunt that bedding area when a buck might be there. I don't believe he thinks a buck is bedding there every day. To me, the study from MSU and what he finds are the same thing. He just put out a video where he went to a swamp and found multiple bedding sites used by bucks. The MSU guys had a video a while back where they went to the actual beds where they had gps points for bucks bedding and videoed how they looked.
You very well may be right on him. Honestly I can only stomach so much of him but I know what I’ve seen is a lot of times he speaks in absolutes. Maybe that’s just his style, but it came off to me as if he was saying where a specific buck beds.

You very well may be right on him. Honestly I can only stomach so much of him but I know what I’ve seen is a lot of times he speaks in absolutes. Maybe that’s just his style, but it came off to me as if he was saying where a specific buck beds.
I've thought that before, but I've heard him say some things that make me think he believes "that" bed is just "one of" his beds. I don't see how anyone that has hunted whitetails for very long or scouted much and found beds could think "that" bed is "the" bed. You may have some beds used more than others, and you can have preferences that make sense for bedding. When someone says "I found where he's bedding", I just think, "they've found one of the spots a buck (may not even be the same buck) may prefer to bed when he's in that area".

The biggest buck I’ve ever shot had a consistent bedding area. We found his likely bed. It was the most obvious bed ever ! On a ridge with cedars behind it . Full of big rubs by it. He could really see the landscape and no chance to sneak up on him .

That buck rarely left a 40 acre area. I had 7-8 trail cams and he was only on the 2 in this 40.

He even ignored a pond which was maybe 1/4 mile away ? I’ve found that some bucks are consistently bedding in same spot/area, others are on the move !79CFCD50-9E88-42D6-B396-2188B5FEA2DD.jpeg

I had a buck routinely on camera on my almost 50 acre piece. I would get almost daily pictures of him during daylight on one camera on the edge of one of the 2 hollows on my farm. The other hollow had a couple pics, but very rarely. My neighbor about 1/2 mile away knew that buck was living on him because he was getting consistent pics too and even passed him up during the same part of early season. Unless I'm getting daylight pics of a buck every day, I have to assume he's somewhere else on those days I don't get a daylight pic of him.

Want to point out that a deer has different movements during the rut which I believe is when this study was done.

MSU puts out great stuff about deer habitat and bees

........still can't put together a football team

Hoddy Toddy

bill
Watch it, TreeDaddy! 😂 Long time dawg here! Coach Leach passing away hurt the football program worse than we thought would. Helluva guy too! I'm hoping the new HC can turn us around. Please tell me you're not a longhorn?!