Therapy Acre’s Target Buck Goes Down

DrDirtNap

5 year old buck +
I know many of you also contribute over on the Deer Hunter forum so if you’ve already seen this post then I apologize. I’m not trying to brag at all. This is an example of how habitat work can and does yield results. I know many of you have examples like this as well. I also figure with a buck like this I may not have another opportunity in my lifetime to tell a story like this.

I’ve tried to be brief and there are a lot more details I could go into....

You know habitat work is a continuous project. It never ends. And I oftentimes find myself doubting of the effort is really worth it. Seems though that everytime I start to doubt my investment in time, sweat and money something good happens that makes me a believer again.
I put all my cropland in CRP, mostly a NWSG program but also in some hardwood tree and shrub program nine years ago and mostly I’ve regretted it. Managing NWSG has been challenging for me. It requires maintenance in my part of the world or you might end up with a giant sweetgum patch. Anyway, I’ve changed my mind and I’m seeing the benefits now. I’m seeing more and more deer use the NWSG as a bedding area and this year based my trail cam pics my target buck was using my CRP as his bedding area. I started getting pictures of this buck in July. Had this huge droptine on his right side. Really special. I knew I had some young pretty decent 8 pt bucks last year but I’d never had one on camera with a droptine. I named him Clubby because that droptine to me just looked like a club hanging off his right main beam. I started putting out several cameras to determine “Clubby’s” pattern. It didn’t appear like he was roaming too far from the CRP. He was leaving the CRP late in the evening and going to a nice lush Durana clover plot just before or right after dusk. Hunting him seemed simple enough but I didn’t want to believe it was that simple and decided to hunt a few other stands near the clover field first. After two unsuccessful hunts I decided to go straight to the clover field. I set-up on the edge of the field using some small pines, privet and honeysuckle as a natural blind. As evening neared, several does poured out into the clover field. I enjoyed watching them graze and chase each other around. They finally exited into the CRP in the general direction I expected Clubby to come from. It was beginning to get dark fast when I caught movement down the edge of the pines in the fire lane. I pulled up my binoculars and sure enough it was him and another smaller buck I had seen with him frequently on camera. He was coming straight towards me and the edge of the clover field. When he got to the clover field he began to graze heavily in the clover and continued moving towards me but at a much slower pace. By the time he turned broadside for a shot he was only 35 yards away. I took the shot and he only ran about 30 yards before falling over in the middle of the clover field. I think this may be my biggest buck yet. It’s unusual to see or harvest a buck of this size in my area of the North MS hills and that droptine is really unique and special. Needless to say the Therapy Acre habitat work will continue!

b1ee50a0d0d187a86873a84621f55dfb.jpg

8d69548c881b175b3335ccd85d5f6f9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Congrats! That's a hell of a nice buck!

Do you think you had photos of him last year, maybe without the droptine? Based on the size and mass, I would guess he had a similar droptine last year. If so, and you noticed he started bedding in your NWSG this year, it would be really unique that a mature buck like him would change his bedding area. Either speaks to the quality of habitat you have created, or there might be a bigger and/or more aggressive buck that pushed him out of where he was bedding last year. Another question, if you don't mind - How big is the NWSG area that he was bedding in?

Love a good hunting story.

Congrats on a slob.
What a droptine, stuff dreams r made of.

I’m glad you got him before he fell down and impaled himself!

And congratulations, that is a brute!

Totally cool looking rack. Great story, glad all your work is paying off!

Very nice, love the DT. Congrats!

That is an awesome buck and if I recall you had trailcam pics of him as well.

Congrats! That's a hell of a nice buck!

Do you think you had photos of him last year, maybe without the droptine? Based on the size and mass, I would guess he had a similar droptine last year. If so, and you noticed he started bedding in your NWSG this year, it would be really unique that a mature buck like him would change his bedding area. Either speaks to the quality of habitat you have created, or there might be a bigger and/or more aggressive buck that pushed him out of where he was bedding last year. Another question, if you don't mind - How big is the NWSG area that he was bedding in?

Thanks! I got a picture or two of a nice 8 pt last year with a split brow but no droptine. I think it might be the same deer. Hard to say. The CRP NWSG block he was bedding in is around 50 acres. This block of CRP is devided in half by a 10 acre strip of CRP planted in hardwood trees and shrubs.

Love a good hunting story.

Congrats on a slob.
What a droptine, stuff dreams r made of.

Thanks trampledbyturtles!

And congratulations, that is a brute!

Thanks Bill! That droptine is a backscratcher first sure!

Totally cool looking rack. Great story, glad all your work is paying off!

Thanks pnulty66! The habitat work never ends!

That is an awesome buck and if I recall you had trailcam pics of him as well.

Thanks J-bird! I started getting a lot of pictures of him in late July and August.

Congrats! Love the drop tine.

Thanks J-bird! I started getting a lot of pictures of him in late July and August.

Not sure if it was this site or the other, but I recall a trailcam pic with that big drop tine. How does where your pics of him relate to how he met his end? I finally have a buck I am after on cam....once. And I have tried to capture him again (with cams in the same spot as well as other likely routes) and I just can't seem to capture him again....

Not sure if it was this site or the other, but I recall a trailcam pic with that big drop tine. How does where your pics of him relate to how he met his end? I finally have a buck I am after on cam....once. And I have tried to capture him again (with cams in the same spot as well as other likely routes) and I just can't seem to capture him again....

I got a couple of daylight pictures in the same clover food plot where he was shot. Most of the pictures I got of him were in a 40 acre area but I had a couple that were on the other side of the farm and that was concerning. Turns out my neighbor had a few pictures of him as well and at least one person had seen him cross the gravel road going from my place to my neighbors. But there was no doubt where he spent the majority of his time. I had plenty of groceries very near his bedding area. The white oaks and persimmons are dropping and I believe that was making him roam a bit.

I have the same issue that you mention as far as getting one or two pictures of a nice buck and then none. I believe that is an indication of being on the fringe of that bucks range rather than in the middle or center of his range. Food sources and especially the rut will change that to some extent. One thing I have learned is that it takes a bunch of cameras to cover an area and determine a bucks range. It was a real eye opener for me after I started running more cameras and piecing the puzzle together.