Browse for deer

*Hawaii5joe*

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have any experience planting shrubs for deer browse?Perhaps next to a winter bedding area, along a heavily used trail, or just randomly? What would be a preferred choice that deer would use every year and it would keep growing back? Thanks

They love it in our area Joe.

I'm wondering if it makes mor sense for better hunting down the road to invest in good browse even if it means taking a year or two off from food plots? Just food plots aren't doing the job for the deer numbers by me.

I think you can do red osier from cuttings Joe. It grows every where up there.

If I don't have a piece this winter I will show you how to put some browse in. You buy the gas. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....CRASH!!!

In addition to the ROD that stu suggested. In the past, I have personally planted the following list on our old place and on a few places that my buddies own. Silky dogwood, ninebark, highbush cranberry and other viburnums like nannyberry, mulberry(highly preferred in our area), and buttonbush to name a few. All of those mentioned received browse at one time of the year or another and make a good diversified planting.

When you look long term Joe...browse is the key. Foodplots are fun (for some of us anyway), but native browse provides the majority of a deer's year round diet.
Yea like 80% of there diet I thought.

I think you can do red osier from cuttings Joe. It grows every where up there.

If I don't have a piece this winter I will show you how to put some browse in. You buy the gas. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....CRASH!!!
You are right brooks. With the clear cuts and hinging we could do it's going to make a great impact. I guess I'm looking for a well diverse property. Maybe something others in the area aren't thinking about that might save a few more deer from the neighbors freezer.I guess I don't know how much dosier I have on my property. If very little,I'll add a lot.

H Joe. What does the area look like that you are planning to plant these?

In addition to the ROD that stu suggested. In the past, I have personally planted the following list on our old place and on a few places that my buddies own. Silky dogwood, ninebark, highbush cranberry and other viburnums like nannyberry, mulberry(highly preferred in our area), and buttonbush to name a few. All of those mentioned received browse at one time of the year or another and make a good diversified planting.
Very nice whip... This will give me something to research a little more.

FYI. Itasca won't have ROD at all till next fall at the earliest.

NCR will have bare root ROD next spring and plugs next fall.

H Joe. What does the area look like that you are planning to plant these?
My initial idea was to plant some by a few spruce tree "future" wintering areas that I cleared and planted. Also along trails on the way to food plots??? My observation is I'm good at attracting and holding deer throughout September-November, but when the hard winters come I loose them somewhere. That's one gap I'm trying to fill.

My initial idea was to plant some by a few spruce tree "future" wintering areas that I cleared and planted. Also along trails on the way to food plots??? My observation is I'm good at attracting and holding deer throughout September-November, but when the hard winters come I loose them somewhere. That's one gap I'm trying to fill.

You will have it a lot easier than I will. I will have a battle on my hands next year.

Looks like you could get 500 ROD plugs from Itasca or NCR for about $.50 each or 500 bareroot from Coldstream Farms for about $.60 each
Is spring planting typical?

I read these need to be caged until established?

Those things will pop back up like dandelions in May on an untreated lawn!

Spring planting is my preferred time...yes. Caging will be site specific. I've got wild ROD popping up on my place...so here it doesn't need to be caged. In higher density areas, it certainly may need to be caged. If deer are currently not on your place during the time period that ROD is generally browsed heavily (late winter/early spring) then you may be able to get away without caging it.

You're harvesting aspen, right? I think you may be surprised how much new aspen growth you get once you open up that canopy
You are right. Lots of aspen. I guess I was thinking when that shoots up out of reach, (3 years?) I still want good browse in place and a variety. I suppose browse is like a bigger scaled food plot. Do you want just turnips or do you want to give them beans, turnips, radishes, rape, clover, peas, rye, etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but HJoe will have more regen problems than I have right? (Maples)

Correct me if I'm wrong but HJoe will have more regen problems than I have right? (Maples)
I had a maple oak clear cut I converted to a future spruce bedding area. The white spruce are keeping up nice with all the other regeneration. It's like those spruce are fertilized every year