Broke the slump

Troubles Trees

5 year old buck +
I was on a roll for roughly 10 years, usually taking a good buck with a bow and another during gun. Passed on many young bucks and a few up and comers but ultimately ate my buck tag the last 2 years. With prime season over I was headed into year 3 of tag soup (for bucks) I think I witnessed a 2nd rut this weekend. I heard several grunts from different directions throughout the morning hunt, and both hunts the day before but seeing nothing in that direction I chalked it up to trees creaking from the cold, I also saw a fork horn make a rub and a belch out a few grunts, very odd for this time of the year.

This 9 point was browsing with 6 doe in a thicket of Dogwood and Alder with some elderberry mixed in. Odd behavior for my area after the orange army takes to the woods, I’ve never seen a 2nd rut here but I’m thinking it’s what I was seeing.

Miss having a truck, my poor car had blood drooling out of the back hatch and smears on the fabric ceiling trying to cram a stiff buck in but I got it. I hunt alone so everything is hard and the pictures aren't very good.

6B804840-BAC6-41BD-92DF-F24D6DE2D0F0.png

AEBCA9DC-D67B-4AFF-A227-42279D96E508.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats TT, nice buck!

We need more/better pics of the deer in the car though.
HAHAAAAA!! It isn't something I am proud of, I went truck shopping and ended up with a "SUV" because holy S*** trucks jumped signifigantly in price after Covid. At least it was my car though, lost a girlfriend about 10 years ago for doing this to her car when mine was in the shop and she let me use it to go hunting. If she can't take a bloody car she isn't my soul mate 😉

Congratulations on the filling your buck tag! Hunting solo is truly a pain--as in back, neck & shoulders. As I get older, I enjoy having help getting the deer out of the woods and onto the tailgate.

Thanks 356!

Gosh I turned 50 this summer and certainly feel it today, just getting him into the car was a half hour fight 🤣

Congrats Troubles Trees! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I'd vote for the back window pic to win the Tool'n knife contest if it was eligible. Classic. Hope you put the rubber sheets down buddy.

A big congratulations, but next time we want the entire head sticking out the window!!!!

I was on a roll for roughly 10 years, usually taking a good buck with a bow and another during gun. Passed on many young bucks and a few up and comers but ultimately ate my buck tag the last 2 years. With prime season over I was headed into year 3 of tag soup (for bucks) I think I witnessed a 2nd rut this weekend. I heard several grunts from different directions throughout the morning hunt, and both hunts the day before but seeing nothing in that direction I chalked it up to trees creaking from the cold, I also saw a fork horn make a rub and a belch out a few grunts, very odd for this time of the year.

This 9 point was browsing with 6 doe in a thicket of Dogwood and Alder with some elderberry mixed in. Odd behavior for my area after the orange army takes to the woods, I’ve never seen a 2nd rut here but I’m thinking it’s what I was seeing.

Miss having a truck, my poor car had blood drooling out of the back hatch and smears on the fabric ceiling trying to cram a stiff buck in but I got it. I hunt alone so everything is hard and the pictures aren't very good.

View attachment 47823

View attachment 47824
Great deer! Nice.

Hope you put the rubber sheets down buddy.
Hahaaaa, yessir, I use yard garbage bags. The problem there is they are very slippery to stand and pull on, also they didn't stay they just dragged with the deer. I really need a truck again lol

Congrats man! That's a heck of a story, and a heck of a deer hunting rig...

Congrats Troubled Trees. Great buck and a great story!

Congrats! I love the antlers out of the window. Redneck! 🤣
😂

Congrats man! I bet you get better gas mileage then a truck. You had plastic tarps for the inside of the car right?

lol, I have never seen a deer hauled like that before! Congrats, nice buck.

Congrats man! I bet you get better gas mileage then a truck. You had plastic tarps for the inside of the car right?
No sir, I use yard garbage bags and cut them open to make a sheet. A tarp would have been more ideal though!

I pulled my card on my way out that morning and see that I got him on trailcam a week or so earlier. Grainy dusk time but you get the idea :0

Buck in car is no fashion show - but you got him. That's the main thing!! Congrats TT !!!

Congrats on nice buck . The pic is a true classic LOL