Broadcasting cereal grains

DrewMc

5 year old buck +
For the first time yesterday, I tried planting without breaking the ground or using a drill. I broadcasted white clover, cultipacked, then sprayed with gly. My plan is to broadcast oats and winter rye into the clover plots in a couple weeks before a rain is forecasted. When I broadcast these, should I try cultipacking again or could that potentially damage the clover I just planted?

Last edited:
I've always had trouble growing oats by broadcasting. Rye does a bit better but packing that sure wont hurt either. I think at a minimum the oats should be cultipacked. I dont think you will hurt your clover much by culitpacking it. Clover is generally pretty resistant.

my 2 cents.

Congratulations on going to no-til. Since the ground has already been prepped, I would not cultipack again, however, if you did, I don’t think it would hurt the clover. I did something similar a few years ago when I overseeded radishes into young clover and it did not hurt them.

Congratulations on going to no-til. Since the ground has already been prepped, I would not cultipack again, however, if you did, I don’t think it would hurt the clover. I did something similar a few years ago when I overseeded radishes into young clover and it did not hurt them.

I don't feel confident about germination given that the cultipacker didn't do much to the ground other than knock the grass down, but time will tell.

I don't feel confident about germination given that the cultipacker didn't do much to the ground other than knock the grass down, but time will tell.
Please post pictures of the results--good or bad--so we can learn from your experience. I noticed GrowingDeer.TV had a feature on broadcasting that was posted last night.

I run my disk through my clover just enough to leave some lines on the ground behind me and the seeds find their way into the grooves and get a little more seed to soil contact. When it grows it looks like it was row planted and the clover seems to thrive on abuse and rebounds nicely. Minimal soil disturbance. jmo

You won't be able to stop that white clover no matter what you do, it'll be fine. If you've got standing grass out there to cast a little shade, I'd fling the grains whenever you can and the rain will come when it does.

After two weeks, only one of the two plots has clover that has sprouted. We were to get rain in the few days after planting and hardly any came. Its been such a dry summer here in PA. Pretty disappointing. We broadcasted 75/25 Rye/Oat blend last night with rain in the forecast again for the next few days. Fingers crossed. I will post pictures in a couple weeks when I check back on it.

For the first time yesterday, I tried planting without breaking the ground or using a drill. I broadcasted white clover, cultipacked, then sprayed with gly. My plan is to broadcast oats and winter rye into the clover plots in a couple weeks before a rain is forecasted. When I broadcast these, should I try cultipacking again or could that potentially damage the clover I just planted?
If you get seed oats you can broadcast. I do all the time with success. If you try to use feed oats I think you need to at the minimum cultipack it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...EWl_xIdPR0M9PM9kzo_RwDFHMhzSNy4xoCMIYQAvD_BwE

I buy these from Tractor supply at the end of the year for half price and use them the following fall. I have no problems getting them to germinate. I don't cultipack at all. Just wait for rain in the forecast.
If you get seed oats you can broadcast. I do all the time with success. If you try to use feed oats I think you need to at the minimum cultipack it.

I did use seed oats. From my research, rye has a better chance of germination than oats when broadcasted. We'll see what happens.

What part of PA are you from?

I did use seed oats. From my research, rye has a better chance of germination than oats when broadcasted. We'll see what happens.

What part of PA are you from?
Central. I live near Harrisburg. Property is in Juniata County. Where are you at?

Rye will definitely germinate better. It'll grow about anywhere. The deer around me seem to prefer oats over most things so I use it every year then fill in the bare spots with Rye in mid September.

Gotcha. My sister lives in Mechanicsburg. I'm in Somerset, camp is in SE Somerset County.

If it hadn't been such a dry summer, I'd have tried using more oats. What time of year do you usually plant your oats?

Gotcha. My sister lives in Mechanicsburg. I'm in Somerset, camp is in SE Somerset County.

If it hadn't been such a dry summer, I'd have tried using more oats. What time of year do you usually plant your oats?
Oh ok I live in Camp Hill. I plant oats, brassicas, and clover all around Aug 1st. Then I come back and fill in bare spots/overseed with Rye around mid september. I might throw in some winter wheat this year too. I try to try something new every year just looking for that magic plot that the deer love. But oats are a mainstay every year because I know they like it.