Brassica plantings

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
So when are you planting your brassica plots this year? I will be aiming for sometime in the next two weeks here in the UP of Michigan.

I would like to have mine in by July 15th if that is possible. It will probably be more like August 1st.

-John

I sprayed the plots that I will be planting in brassicas this weekend. I will be planting in 2 or 3 weeks depending on the weather.

I planted mine on Friday. My deer consume the bulbs so I want them to be BIG :D

I have planted 4 separate plots over the last 2 weeks. They germinated very quickly 4 days -lots of moisture this year!!. All have been broadcast into a sprayed plot.

So when are you planting your brassica plots this year? I will be aiming for sometime in the next two weeks here in the UP of Michigan.
I planted some last weekend and hopefully will get the rest planted this weekend, I'm planting 3 half acre plots

I will plant an acre on the 12th and another on 26th. West central MN if it stops raining!!!

Just ordered my seeds today from Welters. Hope to plant them next week and catch some of this rain.

I'm planting my Brassicas this weekend and my LC mix. This will be the earliest I have ever planted them so we will see what we get. I sure hope we get average rain in July and August instead of nothing like the last few years. It will be interesting to see everyone's results.

For you guys who have done the two applications of fertilizer on your brassicas, how many days do you wait before you apply your second application?

will try an catch a good rain the end of this month

I'm planting my Brassicas this weekend and my LC mix. This will be the earliest I have ever planted them so we will see what we get. I sure hope we get average rain in July and August instead of nothing like the last few years. It will be interesting to see everyone's results.

For you guys who have done the two applications of fertilizer on your brassicas, how many days do you wait before you apply your second application?
4-6 weeks after planting. The plants should be a couple inches tall and a good rain about to happen, not just in the forecast.

i mowed a strip through my crimson clover 2 weeks ago, i sprayed that strip two days ago. In about a week i will mow the dead vegetation down pretty tight and then broadcast my seed (weather dependent. I usually don't get my seed down until that last week of July or first week of August. This year I'm trying to get them in the ground early to maximize tonnage. I usually broadcast a good dose of N about 3-4 weeks after germination, usually plants are 3-6" by then. Timing that application to a rain is usually the most difficult part of the equation. The strips remaining in crimson clover, will be mowed/sprayed/mowed starting around first of August for a cereal grain planting (LC's mix).

here is a look at the upper end of the plot that will be strip planted this year.