Blue Hill Nursery Sale

Same here..if I dug any hole ahead of time I’d either have a small pond or a ground hog or fox would use it to start their burrow..I can dig a good sized hole in about 2 minutes with a 1 man auger..it just tries to rip my shoulders out of the socket when it hits one of my frequent rocks…for me the harder stuff to get prepped is the caging, the window screen and the gravel..
Had to get 1 more tree ordered today…y’all convinced me…

In late summer I put some weed mats where I would like to plant trees this spring. I’m hoping there will be loose dirt instead of sod under the mats to dig in.

A few of the trees I got this year were very impressive! Roadkill,peak attraction,dolgo, and Cobbler crab had to be pushing 3/4"- 1" caliper.

Picked mine up Friday and planted them Saturday. The two year old trees looked great.

Picked mine up Friday and planted them Saturday. The two year old trees looked great.
I spent the extra money on older trees this year. They looked phenomenal and I wish I bought older trees the last few years.

I spent the extra money on older trees this year. They looked phenomenal and I wish I bought older trees the last few years.
I think this was th first year you could get 2 year olds in most varieties.

phenomenal and I wish I bought older trees the last few years.
Got my trees Thursday just planted them today.hopefully they will survive some already had buds on them :( I planted 10 trees and I'm beyond sore. My fit bit put me over 5k calories burnt today.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_104227391.jpg
    IMG_20240408_104227391.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 47
Some of mine also had buds on them. My trees got shipped out two days early on a Friday. Not sure if they sat around in a warehouse all weekend or what. They should be fine though.

Got my trees Thursday just planted them today.hopefully they will survive some already had buds on them :( I planted 10 trees and I'm beyond sore. My fit bit put me over 5k calories burnt today.
They're located not far from me. We had a very mild winter and temps in the 60's and 70's in March. Probably why they're budded out so early. They dig them up and put them in a pole barn type building. Not sure how long before they ship them that they do that though.

That's what figured with the extremely mild winter.

With all the warm winter weather I emailed and asked Blue Hill to ship them a couple weeks early if it worked for him. Worked out well and got them in mid march instead of April.

I'd be planting in mud right now.

This is the first year we had a backhoe attachment for our kubota. I’ll plant 1000 trees with that, no more sore back.

I always under estimate how much work goes into planting trees. I don't think I'll be doing 10 trees anymore. I might just buy one or two potted trees a year. My soil is clay once I got them in its been raining ever since . I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. It's been making the turkey hunting miserable.

I always under estimate how much work goes into planting trees. I don't think I'll be doing 10 trees anymore. I might just buy one or two potted trees a year. My soil is clay once I got them in its been raining ever since . I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. It's been making the turkey hunting miserable.
I agree, it still took all day to make cages and wrap the trunks in window screen.

Attachments

• IMG_9661.jpeg
    IMG_9661.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 21
I have a backhoe for my Kubota but find a post hole auger is faster and more maneuverable.

View attachment 63708
We contemplated going with a post hole digger, but decided the backhoe was more versatile around the whole property.

The only logical answer is both!😁

I wish I could get my tractor to my planting spots. 41 years old and this planting season is kicking my ass. Better now than 51. Couple more years of heavy planting then I’ll take up grafting. Enjoying all the rain right now in central NY.