Blue Hill Nursery Sale

IMG_20240412_121256794_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_121301634_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240412_121301634_HDR.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 23
How will your screen mouse guard expand as the tree grows?

Bszweda,​

That is not alot of screen. I cut a little over 2ft wide section, so the tree can have protection when it's 8 inches in diameter. I don't have the vole issues horrible. My placei s littered with rabbits. When I prune, I leaves the sticks on the ground. Even when doing major surgery on old neglected trees. Everything on the ground gets nibbled down to bare lumber.

I prep my holes months ahead of time. Let's the lime an fertilizer set in without buning stuff. Get the air pockets settled down, and gives the soil a chance to settle some, just dig a small hole big enough for the roots planting day.

I've been using this monster to get some peat moss, old potting soil, and wood chips in a 6x6 by 2 foot deep spot. Letting the trees do some good catchup for me not planting them sooner.....barreto.jpg20230311_171405.jpg

Saw cummins ursery has a grab bag of apple trees for sale 10 cider or backyard plot for $150. They have tons on g890, m7, and m111 trees left. They pick a mix of dwarf and semi trees. Be a good roll of the dice if I had room.

I just followed Blue hills instructions to use 7 foot 8 inch wire per tree . Though I agree I'll need to upgrade next year or two when they out grow it. ill see how many survive a year, before I get bigger cages. I watch a YouTube video and they said I should cut 25 foot to give me and 8 foot diameter cage. Window screen ill also need to make bigger. I just kinda winged it and only had one roll and didn't want to go back to the store.

Its no big deal, just change out and add a larger window screen in time ... same with the wire -- unless you dont care about lower branches the tree will quickly out grow that; but they are right that is not going to be enough window screen in diameter.. no matter what you do dont forget to go back and check the screen at the base of the tree .Every once in awhile I get a screen that ended up a bit deeper into the soil around the base and the tree will send out some higher roots and lock up through the mesh, its a huge pain to get the screen off the tree after that root growth. It happens enough that I thought I should share. I just go back and lift up and set back down, put a bit of dirt around and move on... but every year I find a few that have grown into the screen .

The main thing is you did protect the tree and have most everything covered its just a matter of scale - I never get to it but you could paint the south side of the lower trunk white for frost popping protection. Ohhh the economics of cages,.... post and wire are so expensive now - it sucks If you do go back to add larger dia wire - just double up your old cages.

I just followed Blue hills instructions to use 7 foot 8 inch wire per tree . Though I agree I'll need to upgrade next year or two when they out grow it. ill see how many survive a year, before I get bigger cages. I watch a YouTube video and they said I should cut 25 foot to give me and 8 foot diameter cage. Window screen ill also need to make bigger. I just kinda winged it and only had one roll and didn't want to go back to the store.

The only concern with welded 4' wire cages is that deer will push them in and damage the central leader. I have had that happen many times. Once you start getting fruit it becomes a bigger issue. I will start with welded wire, but in year 2 or 3 move them to 5' remesh concrete wire.

Just when I thought I was out, they sucked me back in! A few persimmons came in stock last night when I happened to be at my PC. I ordered 6 more, since I missed out in the fall. They'll be here in time to plant during my spring gobbler trip, so I couldn't resist. Shipping was only $20 for the 1'-2' trees too.

Just when I thought I was out, they sucked me back in! A few persimmons came in stock last night when I happened to be at my PC. I ordered 6 more, since I missed out in the fall. They'll be here in time to plant during my spring gobbler trip, so I couldn't resist. Shipping was only $20 for the 1'-2' trees too.
Yup three more persimmons for me and four smaller crab apples

Same here:
7 full draw
4 deer Luscious

Plus I got a "shipped" notice for 10 American persimmon that I ordered somewhere else that I forgot about. 😅

What would you guys say is the ideal augur size for potted conifers, bare root oaks, and bare root fruit trees?

I've never used an auger for planting trees.

What would you guys say is the ideal augur size for potted conifers, bare root oaks, and bare root fruit trees?

I use a 9" on the conifers & oaks and a 12" on the fruit trees. Note that roots on conifers and oaks will be vertical and fruit trees will be horizontal. Ideal would be 12" as it will handle all.