Blind heaters

I am considering not cutting a hole in the roof but have it elbow out the side. ( nu wave).

is this a bad idea?
That’s how I did mine. My thought process was less apt to end up with a leak that way.

No complaints.

I have Redneck 5x6 crossover blinds and I am sitting in mine right now on a hunt. Beas considering the side stove pipe and lookin at the possibilities of replacing one of the side windows with a 15x 24” piece of 1/8” thick aluminum with a hole for the stove pipe. I think it would be a nice setup. Easy to do.

I have Redneck 5x6 crossover blinds and I am sitting in mine right now on a hunt. Beas considering the side stove pipe and lookin at the possibilities of replacing one of the side windows with a 15x 24” piece of 1/8” thick aluminum with a hole for the stove pipe. I think it would be a nice setup. Easy to do.
Simply replace the glass with the aluminum plate. Easy peasy. Wish I had thought of this before drilling holes in roof. But I have had no issues with the roofs leaking either.

Simply replace the glass with the aluminum plate. Easy peasy. Wish I had thought of this before drilling holes in roof. But I have had no issues with the roofs leaking either.
Looking more…..and those long corner windows may be a better candidate. Easy to x change if needed. Could use sheet steel instead of aluminum. Just add some thickness where needed to attach hinges.

Thanks for keeping me awake and reengineering a better way to install my nest heaters. Lol.

I got room especially on two sides of the thing I don’t have permission to hunt.

Attachments

• 784989F8-A713-4341-A90C-4F576F40FCD8.jpeg
    784989F8-A713-4341-A90C-4F576F40FCD8.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 43
In one of my blinds there is an elbow about six feet up to run the pipe out the wall. No issues that I'm aware of.

I have a damper part way up to hold a little more heat, so I feel better having a carbon monoxide detector. Also run one of those heat powered wood stove fans. Keeps the air circulating so I stay evenly warm. Makes it easy to go in during the middle of the night and sleep until hunting time.

I'll agree that it's not the same as hanging in a tree, or sitting tucked into a bit of cover, but it sure is comfortable on bad weather days.

Anyone have suggestions on quiet propane heaters for an open window blind? No windows, but has roof and walls. Northern Wisconsin, so it has to produce some heat. A big buddy has been used for many years, but they are loud when not on high.

I've got three Nuway gas stoves. I do have one two-burner and two one-burner. They both work.....but the two burners provide enough heat for nearly any situation. Yep they are quiet and have a stove pipe to keep your windows dry and pull your scents through the burners and out the pipe. These are going over pretty well with many blind hunters.....and a good alternative to the buddy heaters. (which are not all bad).

Ok, I must've done something wrong here. I'm not at all impressed with the heat I'm getting from this thing. Even with the heater on high its pretty minimal. This isn't even close to the heat I get off my little buddy heaters.
Am I supposed to have a baffle in the chimney pipe? It seems like all the heat is going out the pipe.
20231230_155614.jpg20231230_155216.jpg20231230_155221.jpg

Ok, I must've done something wrong here. I'm not at all impressed with the heat I'm getting from this thing. Even with the heater on high its pretty minimal. This isn't even close to the heat I get off my little buddy heaters.
Am I supposed to have a baffle in the chimney pipe? It seems like all the heat is going out the pipe.
View attachment 61019View attachment 61020View attachment 61021
A damper and fan help quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_155748939.jpg
    IMG_20231108_155748939.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231108_155655940.jpg
    IMG_20231108_155655940.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
Not sure how big your blind is.....nor how air-tight it is. I do have a damper in mine.....and all mine are in 5x7 Redneck Blinds. I have one two-burner and two one-burners and all have dampers. We keep the dampers closed. I can definately tell the two-burner puts out more heat and if buying again would purchase those. That said.....we seem to have ample warmth down to single digit temps in ours. I generally take my coat off and never wear gloves after the blind warms a bit. I'm not certain if these stoves have any more heat output than a Buddy Heater......but they do not produce the moisture issues that the Buddy can.

I have one of those little fans said above.....and we use it in a different blind with a buddy heater. The guys using that blind like the way the fan spreads the warm air. I never considered using them with the NuWay stoves......but I just magic give that a whirl.

Not sure how big your blind is.....nor how air-tight it is. I do have a damper in mine.....and all mine are in 5x7 Redneck Blinds. I have one two-burner and two one-burners and all have dampers. We keep the dampers closed. I can definately tell the two-burner puts out more heat and if buying again would purchase those. That said.....we seem to have ample warmth down to single digit temps in ours. I generally take my coat off and never wear gloves after the blind warms a bit. I'm not certain if these stoves have any more heat output than a Buddy Heater......but they do not produce the moisture issues that the Buddy can.

I have one of those little fans said above.....and we use it in a different blind with a buddy heater. The guys using that blind like the way the fan spreads the warm air. I never considered using them with the NuWay stoves......but I just magic give that a whirl.
The blind is 5x8 and very tight. I think I'll install a damper and see if that helps. The stove and the double walled pipe were very hot but I could easily hold my hand a half inch away from the stove. It just seemed that most the heat was going up and out the pipe. The pipe was hot all the way to the ceiling.
It was only 35 degrees out and I had to keep it on high to get any noticeable warmth. I didn't even open the vent, I think the heater would have been a net loss had I opened the 4 inch wall vent.
The windows fogged a tiny bit but not even close to what would happen with a buddy heater. If a damper can get the heat to stay in the blind, I think I'll love it.

The blind is 5x8 and very tight. I think I'll install a damper and see if that helps. The stove and the double walled pipe were very hot but I could easily hold my hand a half inch away from the stove. It just seemed that most the heat was going up and out the pipe. The pipe was hot all the way to the ceiling.
It was only 35 degrees out and I had to keep it on high to get any noticeable warmth. I didn't even open the vent, I think the heater would have been a net loss had I opened the 4 inch wall vent.
The windows fogged a tiny bit but not even close to what would happen with a buddy heater. If a damper can get the heat to stay in the blind, I think I'll love it.
Why are you using a "double wall pipe"? I think much of my heat comes from that single wall pipe in my set up. Onlyhas to have a collar where the chimney goes through the roof. Single wall pipe is what Nu-Way sells (along with a damper).

Why are you using a "double wall pipe"? I think much of my heat comes from that single wall pipe in my set up. Onlyhas to have a collar where the chimney goes through the roof. Single wall pipe is what Nu-Way sells (along with a damper).
Maybe I messed up using the double wall pipe. The pipe gets hot but it's not giving off much heat when I put my hand close. It's hot to the touch but I don't really feel anything a foot away.
I was expecting the heater itself to give off heat the same way my wood burning stoves do where you can feel the heat. Maybe it will once I install a damper.
Thanks for the info!

I think Foggy has you on the right track with single wall pipe and a damper. The fan is just icing on the cake. A damper made a big difference on ours. We've only used single wall pipe, so can't say what that difference is but I'd bet it's noticable.